free website stats program Air cleaners | Harley Davidson Forums

Air cleaners

You will gain approx. additional 5 H.P. from a free flowing air filter. Approx. another 5 H.P. from a upgraded mufflers. It seems you are gathering up info to upgrade your bike. The reply Dolt has given you in your other thread is some solid information. Most times people do not coordinate air cleaner to exhaust and fueler or no fueler at all when upgrading bike and end up with a loud noisy Harley that's slower that a stock bike....

Yup, wanted to know what is bs and what is fact, and are air cleaners preference on them vs one gives more hp/tq than the other air cleaner?

You will gain approx. additional 5 H.P. from a free flowing air filter. Approx. another 5 H.P. from a upgraded mufflers. It seems you are gathering up info to upgrade your bike. The reply Dolt has given you in your other thread is some solid information. Most times people do not coordinate air cleaner to exhaust and fueler or no fueler at all when upgrading bike and end up with a loud noisy Harley that's slower that a stock bike....

And it will run very lean if no fuel management system is added.
Just the "air cleaner" is not enough for increased air, you will need to change from stock intake to a hi flow intake as well.
There are a lot that will fit your bike. HD Screaming Eagle, K&N, Vance & Hines..to mention a few.

But are all hi flow equal? Is it just a preference or which color style ect? Or do some do better than others?
Like Jeff said, with HD I think you will find K&N is the brand of choice.

I'm patiently waiting on parts for my new Hi Flow intake kit, it's an HD screaming eagle which is made by K&N.

Like Jeff said, with HD I think you will find K&N is the brand of choice.

I'm patiently waiting on parts for my new Hi Flow intake kit, it's an HD screaming eagle which is made by K&N.
Do yourself a favor and vent the heads to the atmosphere, sucking it back in thru the throttle is a bad thing

How does one go about that?
Why is it a bad thing?

Here ya go Russ..... This was a post from dolt. I did mine like this with a few changes, it's an easy fix to eliminate the oilily mist that is circulated back into the engine.

Venting to the atmosphere will minimize carbon build up as has been pointed out. You didn't mention if you are still running the OEM air filter and backing plate. If you are, you have some work to do.

If you have not upgraded to the SE Stage I A/C, you will need one of the SE kits depending on the T/B size; IIRC, the Dynas are equipped with a 50mm T/B but not sure. There are two kits, PN 29515-08 for the 58mm T/B and PN 29260-08 for the 50mm T/B. You will need to drill and tap the backing plate for barbed fittings for hoses to route the crank case ventilation away from the T/B to an external exit. You will also need to block off the internal breather passages in the backing plate.

As others have pointed out, there are a variety of ways to route the hoses to an external exit but most use a "T" fitting to connect the two breather hosed behind the air cleaner housing and route a single hose to a catch can or an external exit.

On one bike, I made a catch can from PVC pipe and filled it with the same mesh that is used in the cylinder head breathers. The crank case mist is vented to this can and the "wet" stuff collects on the mesh allowing the crankcase pressure to vent out of the can to a single hose that is routed between the cylinders and out to the same location as the transmission vent. A small in line fuel filter for lawn mowers is plugged into the end of the vent hose at the exit. I have never seen a drip from that system and have never drained any fluid from the catch can.

Back