free website stats program 2011 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

2011 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero

Hmmm this is an interesting thread. Mavagrand where bouts do you live. I live north of Lakeland a bit. I can be downtown Lakeland in about 20 mins or so depending on variables.

I don't have anything to add that hasn't already been said. Like most folks Harleys are my primary fascination, but when money is tight practicallity also comes in. The metrics have been building good bikes for decades even thru the years when Harleys durable record was dismal.

And of course if you buy often the resale value needs factored in with all the other facets. I don't have a ' death do we part retirement ', mine is more ' until it runs out ' so I probably will not buy that many more bikes at my age. But I plan to keep them and fix them and ride them. So resale is not as much a factor with me.

Are the metric's clones, well yes at least if they want to sell they are. Oh I guess it's possible for them to outstyle Harley but I have not seen it yet, least not on the touring models.

Here is a video of the two if any of you have not already seen it.

YouTube - ‪2011 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero vs. 2011 Harley-Davidson Road Glide Custom‬‏

I will stick with Harley for now unless there is something completely different that I want and they don't make.

A few years back I bought a Hayabusa because the Buell was too small and did not come close. But I missed the Harley eventhough the Busa was fun but I went to fast all the time...

I figure I would throw my two cents in. The topic started out really unbiased and soon turned to the classic lines from HD owners. IMHO, that is the problem with Harleys. It is the riders who are holding Harley back from being a better bike. The suspension is horrible and at times unsafe, brakes are like putting blocks of wood together. If you ride a vehicle around for 90,000 miles and change the brakes shocks and tires,it will feel like a new car. Same with the Harley, because many riders are so staunch in their loyalty, why should Harley change? Look how much they make after one buys the bike. Ha! You can bet that Harley reads the forums to see how the image is holding. Start talking the truth about them and they will respond. The argument maybe right about holding their values(except for touring models) but the Orient bikes are advancing so much that its better to go for the new one so the used depreciate more.
When I rode a jap bike, the common HD rider comment was I'm not into speed. I guess that is why there is a kadjillion variations of pipes and cams,piston kits and heads. Please just get honest! In defense of Harley, I had thought of buying a Goldwing but realized they look dated after only ten years while Harleys have the VW bug syndrome. I like the bike but do not worship my Harley. For me there is no such thing as soul in an inate object.

Hate to tell you this but you are stereotyping a little bit. There are a few posters on this thread (including me) that have stated there are other bikes out there that inspire other riders and even us......I have friends that only ride bmw.....good for them and it is what moves them. For me it is HD.....you also stereotyped with the comments about hd guys saying they are not into speed and the number of performance upgrades available......my bike is stock and always will be. I am actually not into speed.....I like the get up and go torque but my 96 ci is perfect for me the way it is. Just saying not eveyone on the site will quote the "classic lines" of the harley owner! I'll ride with anyone no matter what they ride. But I do feel HD makes a fantastic bike....that is why I own one.

The only complaint I have about metrics was ordering parts. A starter clutch took almost 15 business days to have delivered. I don't know of HD stuff yet, but that was too long without a bike

True enough that there are quite a few on here with experience with other brands. I was trying to make a point, and am not good with writing, that unless riders demand more of Harley, they will get the same ole, same ole. The metrics can't make a bike like Harley only because of copy rights. I was greeted by another rider recently and he made the comment that I had finally upgraded in my bike choice. From my experience, that couldn't be farther from the truth. I like my bike too! And I think Harleys are a great bike for what they do. I will enjoy owning this bike and hope to put a lot of miles on. I just think Harley could build better if pushed.
If I stereotyped riders ,so be it and mean no disrespect for this forum, but around where I live,those that ride a Harley will not even consider sitting on a metric or euro. The social rule was to not even wave to a fellow rider if on a metric. That is just the way it is here.
Personally, concerning the Vaquero(where do they get these names?) I don't like bikes that imitate. They just seem to come acrossed as cheesy. Bmw and Honda make great tourers along with Victory have their own looks.

I would like to add my two cents, about five years ago I started to get the bug to ride again since the kids were almost out of college. So I started looking for a good used bike. I have always wanted a Harley and like most people thought I couldn't afford one. So I started looking at the Jap bikes and since it had been over 20yrs since I had ridden I signed up for the rider safety class, which was given at Bayside Harley. During a break I went inside to look around and when the sales lady asked if she could help me I replied that I couldn't afford a harley and was just looking. I was suprised to find out I could get a used Sportster for about the same price as a Honda VTX and when I compared them the Sportster quality was way better. So now I own an 07 1200C and love riding it. I wouldn't have been as satisfied with another brand but I don't look down on any one who rides something else the way I see it you should ride what makes you happy.

True enough that there are quite a few on here with experience with other brands. I was trying to make a point, and am not good with writing, that unless riders demand more of Harley, they will get the same ole, same ole. The metrics can't make a bike like Harley only because of copy rights. I was greeted by another rider recently and he made the comment that I had finally upgraded in my bike choice. From my experience, that couldn't be farther from the truth. I like my bike too! And I think Harleys are a great bike for what they do. I will enjoy owning this bike and hope to put a lot of miles on. I just think Harley could build better if pushed.
If I stereotyped riders ,so be it and mean no disrespect for this forum, but around where I live,those that ride a Harley will not even consider sitting on a metric or euro. The social rule was to not even wave to a fellow rider if on a metric. That is just the way it is here.
Personally, concerning the Vaquero(where do they get these names?) I don't like bikes that imitate. They just seem to come acrossed as cheesy. Bmw and Honda make great tourers along with Victory have their own looks.

It is all good. I guess I'm trying to let you knwo that all HD riders have that attitude you are referring too. And I'll wave to anyone no matter what you are riding!

It is all good. I guess I'm trying to let you knwo that all HD riders have that attitude you are referring too. And I'll wave to anyone no matter what you are riding!

I hope you understand that was supposed to read NOT all HD riders have the attitude you were referring too!!!! TYPO!!

True enough that there are quite a few on here with experience with other brands. I was trying to make a point, and am not good with writing, that unless riders demand more of Harley, they will get the same ole, same ole. .. .. .. .. ... .. .
And I think Harleys are a great bike for what they do. I will enjoy owning this bike and hope to put a lot of miles on. I just think Harley could build better if pushed.
......... . .. .. ... .. ..
around where I live,those that ride a Harley will not even consider sitting on a metric or euro. The social rule was to not even wave to a fellow rider if on a metric. That is just the way it is here.
Personally, concerning the Vaquero(where do they get these names?) .. . .. .... .. .. ..

There's a lot of issues that play into Harley's decision process. Since Reagan awarded HD's request of raised import tariffs (for larger cc models) it gave them some advantage on competing with the Metrics, but this is America and they have labor Unions, environmental costs etc. All that considered HD's stock turned a very good profit last year so they probably could (maybe) offer a tad bit better prices. The thing is as long as Harleys sell good, then I doubt there will be any price lowering or added freebees, etc.

Those folks that don't wave based on brandnames. You will find that type owning just about every brand of bike. They might be bikers but they can also be referred to by other nouns.

The Vaquero name LOL, that's a fair question, actually though when you think about names it's not all that different from Camaro or other previously used names. Might have something to do with the ever growing latin population, don't know. Vaquero is spanish for cowboy, kinda like Buckaroo etc

The only complaint I have about metrics was ordering parts. A starter clutch took almost 15 business days to have delivered. I don't know of HD stuff yet, but that was too long without a bike

That scenario plays out with metric cars too. And the parts are usually way higher than US cars for some things. Yrs ago we bought a used wiper motor for my son's Toyota at a Junkyard for more money than new GM wiper motor cost.

... ... .. .. .. ... . I was suprised to find out I could get a used Sportster for about the same price as a Honda VTX and when I compared them the Sportster quality was way better. . . . . .. ..

Those VTX's come in two sizes now, 1300cc and 1700cc. I ride with some guys that own both Victory and Honda VTXs. I don't care for the Victorys that much (not sure why since I don't know that much about them). The VTXs on the other hand I like those alot. Only two things about them, the rear fender is extended way too far back behind the wheel and Honda doesn't offer it with a tourpak (only the GoldWing).

Now lets see them 2012's and what Hd has to offer

I like your points Top. I'm the kind that believes there are other bikes out there that are inspiring to other folks but one thing you have made me realize is that those other bikes are generally NOT cruiser type motorcycles. THe other companies do try to mimic the harleys because they know HD styling sells in the US......but you are right that I do not like it when people (and I have had a few) try to tell me their Metric is just as good for less money.......it is insulting IMO to tell anyone that. I don't go around telling people what they bought is worse than what I bought.....it is rude!

Anyway....on the 2012 comments and what HD is offering it is not much from what I have found googling:

Only two new offerings:

10th anniversary vrod
Dyna "Switchback:...a wide glide with detachable bags and a detachable shield with the 103.

The only significant changes for 2012 is in the motor offerings:

All softails get the 103
All touring models get the 103
Dyna fat bob, switchback, and wideglide get the 103
DYna super glide and street bob stay with the 96

I saw this info as with any new model year now by googling the CA EPA regs and what HD applied for.

Back