free website stats program 2009 Street Glide Improvements over 2008 | Page 11 | Harley Davidson Forums

2009 Street Glide Improvements over 2008

In my quest to squeeze as much comfort as I can possibly can out of the Glide, I've made another small but important modification and thought I'd share.

I was actually getting used to the heel shifter but didnt like the way it restricted my foot as far as rearward movement was concerned.

I bought HD's "heel shift eliminator" which is just a chrome cap to cover the spline once you remove the heel lever, and while I was now able to move my left foot around I still had to twist my foot inward to upshift which kind of sucked.

I was pretty happy with the setup though until while watching "American thunder" a couple weeks ago I was introduced to Kuraykn's heel shift eliminator. This again is basically just a chrome sleeve, but theirs goes on first, then the toe lever is installed in the outboard position (instead of inboard), which of course moves the lever to the left. No more twisting the ankle!

If anybody wants, I'll be happy to post a picture.

Next.......floorboard extenders (as soon as they make them for the 09's)

2300 miles and still lovin it!

Mark in Pa

SoftBrake makes one also that's spring-loaded and goes on behind the toe shift lever. Put it on my bike last night. Took about 5 minutes.

2000 mi review:

Still love the bike but I have developed a front end "clunk" when hitting a bump like at a railroad crossing, manhole lid or a speed bump. This upsets me a bit, but I won’t get too p-o'd till I see whats causing it.

Sounds like the neck bearings, but they were adjusted at 1000 miles. One thing I was a bit disappointed to see when doing the neck bearing adjustment was the absence of the correct amount of grease in there!

The shop manual says to inject enough grease in the neck until you see it coming out the top and bottom. I probably pumped half a tube in there before I saw the grease! Now what was the Mo/co doing there? Saving money on grease? Gezzzze!

Anyway, I think I'm going to remove the fairing and see if something in there came, or is coming loose.

I installed the "Rush" - 2" slip-ons last week. What a difference! After the first ride I actually thought about putting the stockers back on but the more I ride it, the better I like it. Glad I didn’t go with the 2 & 1/2" though. They would definitely have been too loud for me. Having that fairing blocking all that wind noise really makes the exhaust note much, much more noticeable than say on a softail or really any bike with no windscreen.

As for the fuel mix, it seems to be ok. I installed a K&N in place of the stock paper filter to go along with the free flowing exhaust and it appears that the ECM has made the necessary adjustments. I probably should have it dyno'd to be sure, but with o2 sensors in the pipes, their supposed to send constant signals to the ECM pertaining to the fuel mix anyway, right? Probably should'nt have to pay the dealer to do a re-map.

Well, that’s it for now. I'm sure glad mother nature has blessed us with this great riding weather so late in the season. I'm gonna hate putting this ride to bed for the winter!

Mark in Pa
Think I found my clunking noise. There was a rather large plastic connector flopping wround in there. nothing pplugged into it. Probably for the security system or perhaps the anti-lock system, neither of which I have. Just ty wrapped it and everything else I could find loose in there. Took it out for a spin over some decent bumps and all was well.

I just bought a 2009 Street Glide myself. Do you get the 5th gear whining? I'm just over 600 miles and it sounds like a turbine engine in 5th gear? Massachusetts

Last edited by a moderator:
I changed over to all Amsoil synthetic at the 1000 mile service and used their "sevear gear" lube for the tranny. It took a while but the whinning seems to have all but stopped. Could be due the the colder weather now though.

Glad it was minor! A clunck in the front can be scary!
Looks like I was mistaken.

Spent a couple hours in the saddle with the wife yesterday and heard the same clunk when I inadvertandly hit a recessed utility lid in town. Seems like it happens worse or should I say more often when the wife is along.

I'm starting to wonder if its the ignition switch popping up and down as its spring loaded.

I think I'm going to stick a piece of foam rubber under it next time I'm out and hit that hole again. I dont know what else it could be. Its not the neck bearing, thats tight, as is everything else on the bike.

Anybody got any ideas???

I bet that could be it! That description strikes a familiar chord... I may have heard something similar on mine. I'll check it out over a speed bump tomorrow.

I've been reading a lot of posts on the subject and I think its actually an issue in the front end. The best fix I saw was using a spall piece of a feeler gauge (whatever size is needed) to shim the area thats moving.

Honestly.....for 20 grand we should not be hearing this clunk, and certainly shouldnt have to be "rigging" a fix.

I installed my floorboard extension kit the other day and took er out for a spin. Tremendous improvement in leg comfort. I highly recomend them. Harley Goodies - Floorboard Footboard Extender Extension Kit - Better than BOOT DR. and HEEL GUARD. The owner, Tom, is a cool dude.
M

I've been reading a lot of posts on the subject and I think its actually an issue in the front end. The best fix I saw was using a spall piece of a feeler gauge (whatever size is needed) to shim the area thats moving.

Honestly.....for 20 grand we should not be hearing this clunk, and certainly shouldnt have to be "rigging" a fix.

I installed my floorboard extension kit the other day and took er out for a spin. Tremendous improvement in leg comfort. I highly recomend them. Harley Goodies - Floorboard Footboard Extender Extension Kit - Better than BOOT DR. and HEEL GUARD. The owner, Tom, is a cool dude.
M
I forgot to mention that they do not yet have the kits advertized on the website, but you can contact Tom and he will invoice you at your email address so you can purchase through paypal. I think the kit was $39.95 with free priority shipping. I had it in 3 days.

I have a 09 SG Sun glow red with the stage two 103 big bore kit and 255 cams and Rinehart slip on's and I love it.

My last bike was a 2007 FLHRSE RKC CVO with the 110 CI engine. I just sold it and took a bit of a bath!

The dam thing keep leaking oil from the rear head gasket. HD just came out with a fix and I still didn't like that bike. It never ran good from day one! My 09 SG 103 can run cycles around a stock CVO 110.

The best bike I ever owned was a 01 RKC. I added the stage two 95 CC kit with Andrews Gear driven cams and Rinehart true duels to it along with a Mustang solo seat with a back rest and loved it.

I only have 800 miles on my 09 SG and this bike is going to be a number one hit in my book!

Once I add a Mustang solo seat and change all the oils to AMSOIL that is! I have been using AMSOIL in all of my bikes! Of course I didn't keep the CVO long enough to prove how good AMSOIL is and believe me I'm not a AMSOIL dealer. My 01 went 60,000 miles with out an issue and my wife's 04 Softail has been 28,000 miles with AMSOIL it has never had an issue, knock on wood!

As for the Rinehart Slip on's the bike runs cooler I think? I never rode the thing with the stock mufflers so I can't compare it and the 103 kit makes this bike as fast as my 110 CVO.

This 09 handles the curves like sport bike, all I need now is for dry weather. Its been raining in New England for 5 days!

Harley Davidson has a winner with the new touring upgrades! Now for some HOGTUNES!

My wife claims that I'm too old for Hogtune speakers I love to listing to CW and oldies!

It someone out their is thinking about buying a 09 HD Turing bike do it. My dealer had a demo to try out that is what sold me:D

I have two questions:

1. Did you test ride the bike without the 103? What did you think of the power difference.

2. Do you find the bike to be a bit rough when going over any kind of bumps?

Back