free website stats program 1999 Road King - I feel sick to my stomach | Page 6 | Harley Davidson Forums

1999 Road King - I feel sick to my stomach

Limey, still has the ball race and already has been changed. Thanks.

Now, I have a question concerning the pump. I pulled from the bike 26290 99, purchased on Ebay 99B. I believe this is the third generation and will fit the existing cam plate. Question on assembly. First in Gear Set, spacer, ring, spacer, Gear Set. Does this sound right?

Mine did not thave the sping or 2nd spacer.

Still has,or still had,the ball race?
You must have the roller bearing fitted,re Tech Bulletin.It was changed as the ball race broke up and junked the engine.
I don't know what 26290-99 is,the only number I know for 1999 pump assy is 26035-99.This model had one spacer and no Belville washer (dished ring).
It is superceded by 26035-99B.
Parts fitted into body,Thick (scavenge) Gerotor-Spacer-Belville-Spacer-Thin(feed)Gerotor.

1999cams.gif
:)

Still has,or still had,the ball race?
You must have the roller bearing fitted,re Tech Bulletin.It was changed as the ball race broke up and junked the engine.
I don't know what 26290-99 is,the only number I know for 1999 pump assy is 26035-99.This model had one spacer and no Belville washer (dished ring).
It is superceded by 26035-99B.
Parts fitted into body,Thick (scavenge) Gerotor-Spacer-Belville-Spacer-Thin(feed)Gerotor.

Took it to a dealer this morning and had them change the bearing, thanks for the heads up and also the diagram of the pump assembly. A little different than my 1999 manual.

Thanks again. Almost have it back together. Taking it slow but sure.:bigsmiley24:

OK, it has been some time since the last post. Has been back together and torn apart twice no and still no oil pressure. Check and double checked the o - rings, primed pump with assembly lube, assembly lube used where needed, aligned the pump as per the guidelines of the good book. Still no pressure, this is getting very frustrating. I will take off again tonight and verify that the pressure relief is not stuck open of something. Only other thing I can think of, crack or something else wrong with the pressure plate. Guys, I was hoping to have it running by this weekend as MotoGP is in town. Lots of events, but looks like it will be my first year didnt ride with the boys. Any other suggestions?

OK, it has been some time since the last post. Has been back together and torn apart twice no and still no oil pressure. Check and double checked the o - rings, primed pump with assembly lube, assembly lube used where needed, aligned the pump as per the guidelines of the good book. Still no pressure, this is getting very frustrating. I will take off again tonight and verify that the pressure relief is not stuck open of something. Only other thing I can think of, crack or something else wrong with the pressure plate. Guys, I was hoping to have it running by this weekend as MotoGP is in town. Lots of events, but looks like it will be my first year didnt ride with the boys. Any other suggestions?

NO silly,,,,,, JUST asking... is there oil in the machine?

also LOOK at the way the oil pump is put together... could you have the Big washers in the wrong way.?? glider had a picture of them in proper order ABOVE... First into thee pump is the wide gerotor then a big washer/spacer then the wavy spring and then the other washer/spacer then the thin gerotor next to the cam plate....

signed....BUBBIE

NOT being silly,,,,,, JUST asking... is there oil in the machine?

also LOOK at the way the oil pump is put together... could you have the Big washers in the wrong way.?? glider had a picture of them in proper order ABOVE... First into thee pump is the wide gerotor then a big washer/spacer then the wavy spring and then the other washer/spacer then the thin gerotor next to the cam plate....

signed....BUBBIE

Sorry, I corrected my own mistake,,, Above in RED

signed....BUBBIE

Oil - yes, 3 quarts in the tank, and primed the oil filter.
Pump assembly, Thick gear set, spacer, spring, spacer, thin gear set toward pressure plate
Only other thing noticed, the o-ring from the pump into the case. When installed over the pump inlet, it feels loose, when put into housing and slide pump inlet back, it feels like it seals, but not really tight.
Grabbing at straws here.

Oil - yes, 3 quarts in the tank, and primed the oil filter.
Pump assembly, Thick gear set, spacer, spring, spacer, thin gear set toward pressure plate
Only other thing noticed, the o-ring from the pump into the case. When installed over the pump inlet, it feels loose, when put into housing and slide pump inlet back, it feels like it seals, but not really tight.
Grabbing at straws here.

How is the motor being turned over to get oil pressure?

I take plugs out of my bike and kick over 20 second spurts... OR start the motor usually Does take a FEW seconds for the pump and oil to get working properly... I think IF not running or Not long enough time kicking over is the problem here... Believe me, I Had My Oil Pump out 3 times and It does take a little to get oil the first time..IF you were running the bike, not working, You have something wrong there for sure..

I think on the 99 as my 2000 had, "O" ring on the pump housing/ face to cam plate... Is this pump a Stock replacement ? OR are you using the new style pump with New cam plate and Hydraulic tensioner?

My spigot to "O" ring to pump fit tightly.... I put the "O" ring into the engine orifice first. Yes, Lubed it will go in easy..(right size "O" used?)

I always leaned the bike over on the stand and poured oil on and filling into the area of VOID before putting on the outer cam cover,,, to insure oil was there for the Big side to pump...

If using the old cam plate,??? could there have been damage to the cam plate when the problem happened LIKE torn out area and not noticed???

I use a piece of wire (welding rod) to check how far the piston is IN on the pressure relief valve... the book gives a measurement of ??? inches, where the rod touches inside piston and outside the housing.1.5? or like that..

signed....BUBBIE

Re reading told me the original style pump and plate is there.

Once back together, I took the plugs out, made sure they were properly grounded as not to cause any further repairs, turn motor about 20 second spurts, let starter cool down, and did it again for about three cycles. Oil light still on. Then turned bike on and still not working. Turned bike off.

O ring was brand new from the dealer. Think green in color, lubed and did go in easy. I read your previous posts and leaned bike over, filled the pump as much as I could and then put the cam cover on.

As you are quite often right (lol), i agree there is something wrong in either the relief valve or the plate itself. I will check the distance tonight. When I had it off the first time, the plunger was stuck. Had it removed, cleaned it and the cavity. It moved freely in there before I reassembled. I did put a new Baisley spring in as well. It not to say a small groove in there or something, plunger moving and then get cocked somehow? Or, damage to the plate that I can not see, a small crack or something.

One other note, last time plate off, minimal oil in the cam chest. Would this not tell us that oil is not reaching the pump?

If plate needed, I think it will have to sit for awhile. If buying a plate, may as well go with the full upgrade on it and be done. Problem, just cant afford it at this time. The kids have been eating hot dogs with macaroni and cheese since the bike went down so daddy can pay for parts.

As one member said before, its only a machine and the problem will be solved. I would just like to solve it before the weather starts getting cold out here again.

Back