free website stats program 1999 Road King - I feel sick to my stomach | Page 7 | Harley Davidson Forums

1999 Road King - I feel sick to my stomach

IF the "O" ring around the pump housing came off or Out a little, pinched allowing in air,,,, it will not build up pressure.

This Does happen and the only way to really check is to PULL cam plate and Pump as an assembly,,,,,Leave the pump bolts(4) tight as they are not needed loose to pull ALL off together..
Then you can see IF the O ring is a problem... Is it pinched and sticking out around the housing..

Look at the face on the cam plate where the pump rides..? how deep is the run line .... just feel with your finger nail,,,, IF deep , this might be it...Normally a groove is there but Not deep.

Wished you were closer and I would come over to have a look..:D

report back,,,, Sorry for all the work to try to get it right..

This time when apart, and cams out, be sure to squirt some oil in the openings where the cams go in and the holes that go into the crank area(top area) and it will help lube the rods, before all goes back together.AGAIN.....

signed....BUBBIE

Bubbie,

Thanks for the additional information about the cam plate. The pictures are loaded in my gallery for public viewing. Pretty good pictures of what your pressure plate should not look like. Look forward to hearing from you soon.

every HD 88 of this era appears to have the same problem. Most get between 20k and 68k before the tensioners go bad. Mines still original but they aree making noise. Most of my friends have had theirs replaced. Might check out gear or h

Once back together, I took the plugs out, made sure they were properly grounded as not to cause any further repairs, turn motor about 20 second spurts, let starter cool down, and did it again for about three cycles. Oil light still on. Then turned bike on and still not working. Turned bike off.

O ring was brand new from the dealer. Think green in color, lubed and did go in easy. I read your previous posts and leaned bike over, filled the pump as much as I could and then put the cam cover on.

As you are quite often right (lol), i agree there is something wrong in either the relief valve or the plate itself. I will check the distance tonight. When I had it off the first time, the plunger was stuck. Had it removed, cleaned it and the cavity. It moved freely in there before I reassembled. I did put a new Baisley spring in as well. It not to say a small groove in there or something, plunger moving and then get cocked somehow? Or, damage to the plate that I can not see, a small crack or something.

One other note, last time plate off, minimal oil in the cam chest. Would this not tell us that oil is not reaching the pump?

If plate needed, I think it will have to sit for awhile. If buying a plate, may as well go with the full upgrade on it and be done. Problem, just cant afford it at this time. The kids have been eating hot dogs with macaroni and cheese since the bike went down so daddy can pay for parts.

As one member said before, its only a machine and the problem will be solved. I would just like to solve it before the weather starts getting cold out here again.
I actually still like hot dogs and Mac+Cheese myself. :D

Any further update on this issue from the OP? I hope he finds the issue.

We talked on the phone and I tried to help him out with a Used Cam Plate off one of my bikes 2000 fxds, but I gave ALL away a short while back,,, turned out that cam plate was bad on the bushing on the crank.. Cost as much as a cam plate to repair...

ANYBODY Here have a OK used stock cam plate that would Fit 1999 TC would probably be appreciated.... PM rking_99

Our discussion on the phone,,,,,he went to look on Ebay..

Very nice fellow/member and did talk some good points about the problem.. He IS Learning from all this..:(

Sorry, I Tried....

signed....BUBBIE

I have a 2000 Cam plate and oil pump etc. When I did the hydraulic converstion I replaced it all. I have cams ,chains, etc. I also have the right tools for pressing in the bearings etc if required. The bearings are not that old? Nor are the old chain tensioners. Maybe 6000 miles if that. Just send me a private msg and we can work it out.

I have a 2000 Cam plate and oil pump etc. When I did the hydraulic converstion I replaced it all. I have cams ,chains, etc. I also have the right tools for pressing in the bearings etc if required. The bearings are not that old? Nor are the old chain tensioners. Maybe 6000 miles if that. Just send me a private msg and we can work it out.

PM sent, Bubbie, thanks for the heads up on this one.....much appreciated. Bubbie, appreciated our converstation the other night and your unconditional willingness to get me back on the road. Maybe Calgary and myself can work something out.......the riding season here is winding down fast. 100 degress today, but low of 42 degrees on Sunday with a high of 72. As they say in Indiana, if you dont like the weather stick around it will change any minute. Once again, thanks to all the members for their assistance, this 4M is great and when things get better definately will be donating to the cause!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Like all has said it is a bad deal and we all feel bad for you. It is our bike we are talking about and that is very very important to us. I wish you the very best and God Bless .......We want you on this forum with us and help you for a long time to come :D

Back