free website stats program 1999 Road King - I feel sick to my stomach | Harley Davidson Forums

1999 Road King - I feel sick to my stomach

rking_99

Just joined the forum and wish I knew about this place when I bought my Road King last year. I think the first thing I would have done was replace the cam tensioners on this thing.

Here is my story and why I feel sick to my stomach.

Riding home last weekend, was about a mile out from the house. The oil light came on and I decided to ride it home. Then the pinging / clattering started, ran it this way not very long. Less than half a mile and turned the motor off in the nieghborhood. At this time, the bike will still start and run with a nasty clattering sound. No plans to start again until this is fixed.

Were do I start on this project. From the readings in this forum, need to inspect the cam tensioners and see if they exploded and plugged up the oil pump. Sound about right?

Maybe just start with draining the oil and see what it looks like and if there is any orange in it.

As with most, I would prefer to not spend my money at a dealership. I am mechanically inclined and would prefer to fix myself. I just need some help and guidance.

Appreciate your comments.

NEVER ride any motor vehicle with the oil light on. Shut it off immediately and find out the cause for the light or the repair expense goes up sharply with every second you run it with the light on.

You should drain the oil and remove the oil filter and cut it open to inspect the filter material in it by stretching it out and inspecting it for orange tensioner material.

Then pull the cam chest to inspect the tensioners and go from there depending on what they look like. Possibility you have a problem with the oil pump too but with the noise you mentioned, I would go get the piggy and feed it well.:53:

Gliders 100% on this one, my-ex drove an Olds Cutlass till the engine stopped after a stone knocked a hole in the oil filter, seems like back then it was about a 800.00$ "misjudgement"...I ask her if she understood what the old term "idiot light" meant...her reply "it didn't look that bright"...

OK guys, I get it...am I (EDIT) IDIOT. Before joining this forum, it appeared to be a bunch of members willing to help each other solve problems. Not point out the fact that a member may have the same mentallity as ones spouse.

I will start with the oil drain and inspect the filter. Sounds like good advice, which is actually what I am looking for.

Thanks

Please read and understand the info in this link...

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
OK guys, I get it...am I (EDIT) IDIOT. Before joining this forum, it appeared to be a bunch of members willing to help each other solve problems. Not point out the fact that a member may have the same mentallity as ones spouse.

Thanks

I think you should really cool your jets a bit when replying.

We're here to help you and occasionally you will be given some advice that you really don't like to hear but it's part of life and besides we don't allow any flaming or language like "freaking" here on this forum.

Last edited:
Sorry, I am upset at myself more than anybody else and took it on the forum. I apologize and look forward to many years of enjoying the advice from this forum. I just need to get over this bump in my road.

Many thanks for your help.

Sorry, I am upset at myself more than anybody else and took it on the forum. I apologize and look forward to many years of enjoying the advice from this forum. I just need to get over this bump in my road.

Many thanks for your help.

No problem, just read your reply before hitting the "send" button.

Glad to help out.

Back