free website stats program 1999 Road King - I feel sick to my stomach | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

1999 Road King - I feel sick to my stomach

I had the same issue with my 02 ultra only my oil pressure dropped to zero as i pulled in the drive.After reading all the info here then close attension to TQ's post I replaced my tensioners,plate,cams,push rods,lifters using Herko's pre assembled kit follow the manual and the instructions with the kit and it was a breeze to do.After recieving the kit it took me about 6 hours to do I was really impressed with the Herko kit as EVERYTHING was their I did not have to leave to get anything once I started.Including some cracker jacks to eat while waiting for the lifter's to bleed down.Any body who is mechanical inclined at all can do it and it feels great afterwords knowing that you did it yourself.next month a friend of mine and I are doing his 99 ultra I just hope it makes it that long and have told him as much.Good luck and if you have any questions or concerns just post them here and there is alot of good people who will help thanks to all on this site

Being as you are installing parts designed for a 2007 TC engine you might want to pick up the newer shop manual.
Ken

Being as you are installing parts designed for a 2007 TC engine you might want to pick up the newer shop manual.
Ken
The hydraulic tensioners were first used in '06 Dynas. The service manual for those is 99481-06A.

Enjoy,
Rich P

Great posts for information, thanks. Went to our two stores to pick up some binder clips to hold the lifters up, both were sold out. Will get some from work today and continue the investigation.

I had the same issue with my 02 ultra only my oil pressure dropped to zero as i pulled in the drive.After reading all the info here then close attension to TQ's post I replaced my tensioners,plate,cams,push rods,lifters using Herko's pre assembled kit follow the manual and the instructions with the kit and it was a breeze to do.After recieving the kit it took me about 6 hours to do I was really impressed with the Herko kit as EVERYTHING was their I did not have to leave to get anything once I started.Including some cracker jacks to eat while waiting for the lifter's to bleed down.Any body who is mechanical inclined at all can do it and it feels great afterwords knowing that you did it yourself.next month a friend of mine and I are doing his 99 ultra I just hope it makes it that long and have told him as much.Good luck and if you have any questions or concerns just post them here and there is alot of good people who will help thanks to all on this site

Bigbubba, since your pressure drop to zero as did mine, what did you find once you opened everything up? Were the shoes still in tack? Notice anything about the pump?

Last edited by a moderator:
Some times the debris can get into the Pressure Relief valve and oil pressure may drop to "0".... The pump may be damaged from the fractured pieces of the shoes Pumped thru to the oil filter you have found there.

I wondered How Much noise did you hear IF driven a mile without oil pressure... These motors will be forgiving IF not run hard as oil is on the roller bearings thru-out the engine... Piston walls take a quick beating without oil. Hopefully the biggest damage is NOT the total engine..

signed....BUBBIE

Some times the debris can get into the Pressure Relief valve and oil pressure may drop to "0".... The pump may be damaged from the fractured pieces of the shoes Pumped thru to the oil filter you have found there.

I wondered How Much noise did you hear IF driven a mile without oil pressure... These motors will be forgiving IF not run hard as oil is on the roller bearings thru-out the engine... Piston walls take a quick beating without oil. Hopefully the biggest damage is NOT the total engine..

signed....BUBBIE

Bubbie,

Just got done reading your original post about your oil pressure problem. I trust you solved your problem but would be curious as to the solution. Did you replace the cam plate and problem went away?

I will continue to work on mine tonight, have bolt cutters and binder clips ready to go.

Bubbie,

Just got done reading your original post about your oil pressure problem. I trust you solved your problem but would be curious as to the solution. Did you replace the cam plate and problem went away?

I will continue to work on mine tonight, have bolt cutters and binder clips ready to go.

My problem was the pressure relief valve and yours Might be totally different... You can take a 1/8 inch drill bit BACKWARDS and carefully put into the end of the spring holding the PRvalve... Moving fully to the head of the valve to see what the distance is from the end of the opening to the inside end of the valve and measure that dimension... This will tell you IF sticking open and how far IF NOT in closed position... But I forgot the dimension...??? I think it says it in the big book.

signed....BUBBIE

OK, after several days of deep depression and several cases of beer later I am working on the bike again. I finally have the cam plate off. Front and rear tensioner shoes look good. I could not for the life of me remove the cam plate until I took the four bolts holding the oil pump on. Once I did this, the cam plate came off no problem.

Ok, the bad news..........Inner gerotor broke, no pieces were missing but has two cracks in it. I can not remove the oil pump from the crankshaft. Any ideas on how to get it off with the cracked inner gerotor.

Need help again and thanks in advance.

OK, after several days of deep depression and several cases of beer later I am working on the bike again. I finally have the cam plate off. Front and rear tensioner shoes look good. I could not for the life of me remove the cam plate until I took the four bolts holding the oil pump on. Once I did this, the cam plate came off no problem.

Ok, the bad news..........Inner gerotor broke, no pieces were missing but has two cracks in it. I can not remove the oil pump from the crankshaft. Any ideas on how to get it off with the cracked inner gerotor

Need help again and thanks in advance.

Hopefully it isn't WELDED on because of the LACK of oil......

What is holding the pump??? UN aligned cracked gerotor or ???

I would Not worry about the pump as to get it off??/ Puller , Slide hammed??

It is probably Jamed on the crank..

ALL the pump is shot so do what you have to do.. The rotors and outside housing should be able to PULL off.. Nothing else holding the Pump on & in But a little O ring.AND the pump housing is a snug fit for the crank.....

If You can pry away the aluminum housing on the pump a little so to release the gerotors Easy does it...,,, by all means do so.... CAREFUL you don't scar up the crank... A new pump is in order after You check the Crank Run out with a machinist dial indicator... IF the run out is BIG, that is the breakage problem OR something went thru the pump and broke the gerotors... like shoe material.. These gears are hard and will break under OFF sided pressure...CRANK RUN-OUT...

out of oil and running may have frozen the pump housing on,,, I know no other way but to cut and chip at it being careful of the crank and engine block... Sorry but it does sound Bad...
What did the cams and bearings look and feel like in the cam plate... Remember that the cams DON'T turn over smooth with the shoe and that style of chain on them...

signed....BUBBIE

Hopefully it isn't WELDED on because of the LACK of oil......

What is holding the pump??? UN aligned cracked gerotor or ???

I would Not worry about the pump as to get it off??/ Puller , Slide hammed??

It is probably Jamed on the crank..

ALL the pump is shot so do what you have to do.. The rotors and outside housing should be able to PULL off.. Nothing else holding the Pump on & in But a little O ring.AND the pump housing is a snug fit for the crank.....

If You can pry away the aluminum housing on the pump a little so to release the gerotors Easy does it...,,, by all means do so.... CAREFUL you don't scar up the crank... A new pump is in order after You check the Crank Run out with a machinist dial indicator... IF the run out is BIG, that is the breakage problem OR something went thru the pump and broke the gerotors... like shoe material.. These gears are hard and will break under OFF sided pressure...CRANK RUN-OUT...

out of oil and running may have frozen the pump housing on,,, I know no other way but to cut and chip at it being careful of the crank and engine block... Sorry but it does sound Bad...
What did the cams and bearings look and feel like in the cam plate... Remember that the cams DON'T turn over smooth with the shoe and that style of chain on them...

signed....BUBBIE

Thanks for the suggestions, will chip away at it and once off will check the runout. Bearings all in tack, no issues. Cams look good as well, no signs of any wear.

Back