free website stats program Your OPINIONS only NO DATA from companies. | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Your OPINIONS only NO DATA from companies.

I ran SYN3 in all three for 29990 miles and then had a whining noise in the primary which resulted in replacement of a tanny bearing and inner primary bearing. I have been running Mobil1 v-twin in engine and primary and Redline in the tranny ever since. Don't think I detect much difference, but after reading lots of posts about this topic, I feel better with the current fluids.

Re: Electric Starter has grinding sound.

Yes I am a little Miffed Tank.......:(

Every Opinion I give IS MY OPINION and I find NO Need to back it up with any COMPANY FACTS... That is WHY I'm here,,,,

IF I wanted company facts,,, I'd be Letting HD do ALL my work on my bike... They MUST think I'm tooooo Dumb to do it myself......

Old School still means somthing to ME and I hope the others I HELP...

Just My Way

signed....BUBBIE

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd like to get your opinion on the Gen3 for my bike. Talked to Dobeck yesterday and they said I need the EJK part #9120333 which will not bypass the O2 sensors but will completely eliminate them. I'm to leave them screwed into the pipes, but disconnect the wires at the other end and not hook them back up to anything. Doesnt the computer need some sort of reading from the O2's??? I know you're the expert on the TFI or EJK, so I value your opinion. Thanks.

MY OPINION,,,,,NOT DOBECKS........Yes, the wires from the 02 sensors are disconnected..... (in my case capped-connected)

I have connectors that BY-Pass and FOOL the HD Brain that all is good...This allows the gen3 (TFI,Gen4) to add the needed fuel and the HD Brain doesn't take it away, IT doesn't even know it is there...

IF you leave the 02 wires Hooked up, the HD Brain will try to get the fuel settiing back to the 14.7 level full time (EPA)

I don't know why Dobecks has not made caps for All the newer bikes..IF un-hooked they will do the same as MY Capped ones ... Un-capped they will trigger a code in the system BUT not change anything but show a code.....

signed....BUBBIE
Miffed at Tank? YES,,,, Tank knows why,,,, a comment I made a while back (answerd by Tank and posted like this one for all to read) about One OIL in all three holes. Sating me WRONG and linking HD's opinion and AMSOILs opinion... SO my HD mechanic and I are WRONG? Plus a multitude of MEMBERS Here?

The Post? (can't be found) read like;
My stating "a Top HD mechanic I know saying" "it was a BIG mistake by HD to do so,,,,"Gear oil is needed in a tranny"..... also saying "Just to SELL one oil for more$$$ and a lot Less shelf space needed to stock their HD product"...
"close from memory"

As I could NOT find that post I made OR Tanks Reply to it.... Where did it go??? MISSING?????????? OR I'd show it.

It must of gone AWOL :newsmile100:

signed....BUBBIE

I started this thread to KEEP the opinions of the Dealiers OUT... BUT..??.....

I didn't want the Companies opinions here..Just the users Beliefs.

Smitty901 had a good saying? "from my memory"

"Its your ride You decide"

signed....BUBBIE

Tank,,,,You asked me in a PM " Are you uspset with me?"

Yes I Was. BUT Not any more. Got it OFF My Chest...:D

signed....BUBBIE

I should of posted this in the Other Thread I Started?

I started this thread to KEEP the opinions of the Dealiers OUT... BUT..??.....

I didn't want the Companies opinions here..Just the users Beliefs.

Smitty901 had a good saying? "from my memory"

"Its your ride You decide"

signed....BUBBIE

Last edited by a moderator:
So, what does gear have that engine oil doesn't? Did H-D ever spec gear oil in the past?

Back as far as I remember H D specified motor oil for the transmissions, The 4 speeds in the day did better IMO with gear oil

Re: Electric Starter has grinding sound.

Yes, DRIFT it Did...:(

I was Not even sure which thread was which...

Thanks for posting that thread/post exchange I thought was Lost.
Enough on here.. I will reply to the Email you sent me...

signed....BUBBIE

My '92 Dyna has had only Castrol GTX 20-50 car oil in the engine since 1991. Many different lubes in the primary, mostly ATF. I quit using ATF in it a few years ago and now it has Formula +. I've always used some sort of gear lube in the transmission, currently Bel Ray syn. Except for the Neutral into 1st clunk, the transmission is as smooth as a metric bike,
My '07 Electra Glide has had mostly Mobil1 20-50 mcy. oil in the engine, because of the heat. Only Formula + in the primary. The trans. was noticeably clunky going into 1st, 2nd and 3rd when I got it. The oil was thin when I drained it, and had been dealer serviced. I used Mobil1 75-90 syn. in the trans., and it lessened the clunk between up shifts 1-2-3. Currently I'm using Spectro Platinum 6 speed syn. It's much quieter and smoother when cold, but about the same when hot. I have a bottle of Red Line on the shelf for the next trans. change.
Through the years, many automobile mfgs. have recommended engine oil in their manual transmissions. I feel better using an application specific oil, and have noticed an improvement in the feel and sound of shifting with gear oil in my Harleys.
Oils.... so many opinions. :lero

Last edited:
Lucas straight 50w syn in the engine,, Lucas dino 20-50 in the primary and Lucas gear oil in the trans. Happy with all three. I also use the Chrome K&N oil filter because of the nut on the end of the case makes it easy to replace..

I agree also , the tranny is made up of gears so use a good gear oil , a good synthetic like moble one is a good choice for the engine and HD formula one in the primary works real well , I don't care for synthetic in the primary I've heard of people having problems with clutch slipage using synthetic in the primary .

Back