free website stats program What TUNER have you used? | Page 6 | Harley Davidson Forums

What TUNER have you used?

did you notice any differance when you put it on the bike ?

It's made a huge difference from before. I've put over 10,000 miles on and I haven't had a problem yet (knock on wood) The only issue I had was one time after I changed a map I had my speedo quit working, all I had to do was pull over shut off the bike and start it back up and it started working again. When I contacted Zippers by email to see if they thought it was a problem with the Thundermax unit or the speed sensor, they got back to me right away and said they had a few reports of the same issue and it seemed to be right after a map installation, and if I had another problem they would replace the ECM. But I haven't had another problem. It comes with a 3 year warranty (thats a year longer than what the bike came with) and several advantages over anything else. If your really interested I would suggest going to the Zippers website and downloading the software to look at. The software comes with a PDF manual that has a lot of info. It's bit intimidating being 191 pages but if your gonna get one you should understand how it works BEFORE you put it on. Once you start reading it's really not that complicated.:s

Glider,

It is not a shadow.

Quote from Glider "Keep in mind when using one of these units that if you travel and have a break down, the downside is most dealers will not work on the bike with this unit installed."

Glider,
Why is it any different from all the others?

Let me be clear about the plugs, they are NOT carboned from running the Tmax.

Last edited by a moderator:
from what i have read about the Tmax is that it completely removes the orginal HD ECM and replaces it with the Tmax ECM, it is not a ECM reprogrammer or piggy back unit
Hence without the OEM ECM in place dealers will not work on the bike.

Or i may be wrong as i have never seen this unit in action

It does replace the stock ecm, but a the diagnostic codes still work the same. I haven't had a problem with not being able to get a dealer to work on the bike, but I can't speak for all dealers. They probably won't "tune" your bike, but as far as anything else I don't think there should be a problem. I don't know if Thundermax uses the same DTS method or if the Harley DTS is not part of the ECM, but I do know you can check your codes via the Harley method or you can hook it up to your computer and check with the Thundermax software. I suppose there is a "downside" and an "upside" to everything a person does to "modify" their bike. You just have to look at both sides and decide what's best for you. For me it was the cost of the dyno time and the option to remove the Thundermax and return the bike to stock, if I wanted to trade it in for a new bike. Then I can Put my tuner on my new bike, with the race fueler it stays with the old bike, and you buy another one for the new bike.

:D
But its all the excuse some dealers need to get $$$$ out of ya:D, i understand what you are saying and i dare say if i could get the thing over here for sensible money i would most likley give it whirl, as the product for those that have seems to work exceptionally well, and has V&H have just put £100 on every fuel pak making them £350 something like the Tmax starts to make more sense

eBay Motors: ZIPPERS THUNDERMAX WITH AUTO TUNE MODULE 4 HARLEY 01-08 (item 140277153121 end time Dec-22-08 17:19:56 PST)

These are the guys I bought mine from it was listed just like this, I offered 600, they counter offered 750, so I counter offered 680 and they took it. I don't know how over seas shipping, taxes, or other things work but they do ship over seas it's just not free. If you had a buddy in the states, maybe you could work out a deal. These guys aren't just an ebay store it's a real store with a bike shop, I looked them up in the phone book, called them and researched it before I bought from them. Not trying to advertise for them, But I know how hard it is to find a business these days and not have an issue with service, and so far I've bought 2 sets of V&H Pipes and that tuner from them and I haven't had an issue.

Curious What do the dealers have to say about TCM?

I know a Salesman at the dealer hear that has nothing bad to say about them. He told me he has a good friend that runs it and loves it.
I had a guy in the service department at another dealer ask who I had tune my bike because it was running so good. It didn't give a lot of confidence in their tuning ability, but then again, they're a new shop and don't even have a dyno.

Here's something to show if problems come to questioning the operating history.
What other appliance gives this data?

Check page 083 of Tmax manual.

Al

Attachments

• Warranty Information.JPG
    Warranty Information.JPG
    28.2 KB · Views: 68
Back