free website stats program What TUNER have you used? | Page 13 | Harley Davidson Forums

What TUNER have you used?

G'day (first timer hopefully not last timer)

I have a S/E heavy breather,SERT(S/E race tuner)obviously suggested by the dealer and stock pipes with slash cuts.

I am definite on this my mechanic is very fussy with his work.
So I tend to believe him on this.

He suggests I trash the SERT for a P/C as he says they can set each cylinder differently, and are far better unit with more range.

Also states that V/H big radius pipes with SERT with many hours tried several times for different bikes on the dyno results in less power output than stock.

He swears on the P/C with Hooker Troublemakers(style) as a much better set up.

While I'm here does anyone have a set of Martin Brothers Shockwave exhaust on their bike with or without the above items.
I like the style but we don't know the performance of the pipes.

Thanks for any advise (or abuse:s)
Harvey

It's obvious that he doesn't tune with the SERT but it is a better unit than the PC anyday. It reprograms your ECM instead of adding a piggyback unit to the system. I would seriously question his choice here.

The SERT can do about anything that the PC will do for you also but do it better.

Sorry forgot to mention that he says that our fuel, air and regulations are different to U.S.
He looks after privateers in MX and his bkes leave the factory bikes for dead.
(not big noting him but to give you an idea of his ability and knowledge)

Am running the SE RACE TUNER, since my bike is still under service contract,i didnt want any problems and wanted to keep it all harley,last time on the dyno, it was at 103hp,104 tor. money well spent, lots of the other guys run power commander,termal visc,or rev tech, they still get popping sounds , Am really happy with my set up.and not having to shift,untill 7000 rpm,s really help.when playing around from light to light with other bikes,,:D

It's obvious that he doesn't tune with the SERT but it is a better unit than the PC anyday. It reprograms your ECM instead of adding a piggyback unit to the system. I would seriously question his choice here.

The SERT can do about anything that the PC will do for you also but do it better.
It wasnt a choice..The tuner came on the bike as it was used.I did purchase the PC for mine when new only because I keep my bikes fairly long and can see an engine upgrade or 2 in the future.

Didn't mean to infer it was his choice, just that he prefers the PC over the SERT is what I was referring to. Should have been more clear.

Great thread!

I use the SE Race Tuner. I chose that unit for the wide range of adjustment that it provides. I am riding a '08 Ultra with a SE Air Cleaner and SE slip-ons, modest improvement in performance, but with the SERT I can get the most performance for the setup. I don't remember what I paid for the SERT, but seems like it was over $500 with the cables.

I also make use of a "poor man's dyno" a G-Tech Performance Computer and a Innovations Fuel-Air meter. These two tools are critical to get the most out of a tune. You program the Performance Computer with the weight of the bike and rider and it will print out a horsepower curve from an accleration test. It also can record your 0-60 and 1/4 mile times. Very handy for gauging your progress as you tune. It takes more time to make the runs compared to running the bike on a dyno, but the unit itself costs less than one typical Dyno session at the dealer.

The SERT comes with a number of MAPS. I start with a map that is close to the modifications on my bike, hook up the F/A meter and the Performance Computer and take some data points. One of the things I like about the SERT is its ability to be used as a data acquisition system while you ride the bike. Set it up to acquire data with your laptop, push the red button to start data collection and ride the bike. When you are done you can download the data and display it on your computer. Just about every parameter of the fuel computer is available for display, ignition timing, O2 voltage, RPM, CHT, vehicle speed, integerated O2 sensor voltage, injector pulse width, and on and on!

The SERT allows you to adjust just about every parameter of the EFI. You can view the maps in table or graph mode. You can save different revisions of your maps as you develop them so you can always go back if you have too. You can also save notes in the map files.

I am not done with tuning the '08 but it is much better than stock. I've gained 9 miles per gallon in highway crusing and trimmed almost a full second off the 0-60 time on the bike. The bike runs great, runs cooler and is quicker. Hard to beat. The SERT is not the cheapest way to go, but it is the most complete solution I have seen.

I just had the Power Commnader V retrofit installed on my 08 Lowrider with Vance and Hines Big Shots, and Screamin Eagle Heavy Breather. Ordered it from Fuel Moto programmed. I am very happy with it. It runs excellent.

just had the sert, V&H longshots on my 09 heritage,not mechanical minded at all so someone tell me if this right,they gave me the sert(black box) back,told me keep it safe, it for my bike only,should i have got anythin else,manual,disc etc,is there anythin attached to the bike?,also still get a bit of poppin on decel,is this ok or not,doesnt bother me,quite like the sound,cheers

Back