free website stats program What is this drain plug | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

What is this drain plug

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Noisy synthetic oil

Check the engine oil level, if it's over full, you've drained the wrong oil out, on the other hand, if you over fill it, you should known right the way, the oil tank is too small for 7-8 qts of oil.

Have you had the bike long, do you know it's service history? It is possible that you are hearing cam chain tensioners going bad. I gotta agree with others that the change to syn. oil by itself won't cause noises.

"WOW" Hope you get it figured out, very good suggestions all through this thread, you really need to follow them, then please let us know what the result was.. TIm

I just changed to Amsoil for the first time from Mobile 1 while I was traveling. It seemed the engine noise was less with the Amsoil. I suspect, as those above, that something is not right.

Gentlemen, Can anyone tell me what the plate directly under the crankshaft
that has a small allen head drain plug in the right rear corner of the plate. I removed the plug and only got a few ounces of oil out of it. I'm only asking because I removed that plug also when I changed my engine oil to synthetic and ended up with noise from (edit). I thought maybe I screwed something up removing this plug.
Thanks for any assistance. Don't know if I can put up with all the engine noise now after putting Synthetic oil in it.

As Kemo said, a service manual is a must have to learn all you need about your bike.

I researched the best oil for my Harley and came up with AMSOIL. So yesterday I change my engine oil to 20/50 Syntheic Motorcycle Oil. The noises I'm hearing now scare me to death. I knew it would have a little more noise but this can't be good. If this is how it's going to be I'll have to go back to straight 20/50 HD Oil.

Can someone tell me how can this oil be superior in lubrication and let all these parts bang around. Your telling me the banging and clanging is okay? It actually rattles at idle. Anyone experienceed anything similar?

I just changed my engine oil on my 2000 Road Glide to Amsoil 20/50 Synthetic. Can't believe the amount of engine noise I have to listen to now. How can an oil profess to being the best lubricant around and create all this banging and clanging? It's got me scared to death somethings going to fall out the bottom. If going back to regular oil stops the noise that's what I'll have to do, I guess.

Also does anyone know what the plate right under the crankshaft with a small drain plug in it is? I removed the plug but only got a few ounces of oil out of it.

Thanks for your replies.

What brand and micron rating of oil filter did you use??? Just a thought it might be limiting the oil flow if it isn't the proper filter for that year.

Thanks guys for the info. Repair manual coming up. Glad I got away with it.

Any response to the terrible engine noises after putting Synthetic Oil in it.
Don't hear anything bad above idle but at idle it sounds like it's coming apart.
My concern is if it's making clanging and rattling noise isn't it damaging something? I really think I'll have to go with regular oil instead of synthetic just so I don't have to listen to it.

Again thanks for all the help guys.

Is it possible you may have loosened manual cam tensioner locknut, and backed out the adjustment at the same time? When you retightened you only tightened the locknut and the cam chain tensioner is still loose, the chain rattling around in there loose?

I know that on my Sporty, it looks like a drain plug, but the center threaded shaft unscrews separate and adjust the cam shoe which has a nylon pad pressed up against the chain tightening it. Thats why you should register on Photobucket, upload your digital photo onto your account folder, use their editor to size it to 800 x 600, finally cut and paste the 4th IMG option and paste it into your post so we can see what nut you tightened, if it has a hex allen in the shaft, you did loosen the chain tensioner.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back