free website stats program What is this drain plug | Harley Davidson Forums

What is this drain plug

Status
Not open for further replies.
I researched the best oil for my Harley and came up with AMSOIL. So yesterday I change my engine oil to 20/50 Syntheic Motorcycle Oil. The noises I'm hearing now scare me to death. I knew it would have a little more noise but this can't be good. If this is how it's going to be I'll have to go back to straight 20/50 HD Oil.

Can someone tell me how can this oil be superior in lubrication and let all these parts bang around. Your telling me the banging and clanging is okay? It actually rattles at idle. Anyone experienceed anything similar?

I just changed my engine oil on my 2000 Road Glide to Amsoil 20/50 Synthetic. Can't believe the amount of engine noise I have to listen to now. How can an oil profess to being the best lubricant around and create all this banging and clanging? It's got me scared to death somethings going to fall out the bottom. If going back to regular oil stops the noise that's what I'll have to do, I guess.

Also does anyone know what the plate right under the crankshaft with a small drain plug in it is? I removed the plug but only got a few ounces of oil out of it.

Thanks for your replies.

Attachments

• RG2.jpg
    RG2.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 53
Last edited by a moderator:
Gentlemen, Can anyone tell me what the plate directly under the crankshaft
that has a small allen head drain plug in the right rear corner of the plate. I removed the plug and only got a few ounces of oil out of it. I'm only asking because I removed that plug also when I changed my engine oil to synthetic and ended up with noise from (edit). I thought maybe I screwed something up removing this plug.
Thanks for any assistance. Don't know if I can put up with all the engine noise now after putting Synthetic oil in it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Noisy synthetic oil

Something doesn't sounds right. You have these 2 posts, which are somewhat related. For the other post a pic would help of what you are looking at. Were you able to drain the old oil out and are you sure it was engine oil? Sounds like a dumb question, but the type of oil should not have created any noises like this, unless you have the wrong oil somwhere, and/or no oil somewhere else.

Sorry if this is an insulting question, just puzzled.

I agree with bwalsh - changing brand or even type of oil should not instantly create the obnoxious noises you are describing. Sounds like you may have inadvertantly drained something else and not refilled it.

I have been running Amsoil 20/50 2 years and have never heard any unusual noise. I change it around 3K miles. LOVE IT!!!

The good news is your engine is not sumping. The bad news is you should not remove that plug. Reinstall with some loctite and do not over torque the plug, if you do you can crack the crank case. That is not intended as a drain. Get a service manual.
kemo

There's no reason why a change in oil to synthetic should cause any noise. As posted above try to get a pic of what you removed to drain the oil. It sounds like the plug in the bottom of the crankcase but unsure from your description. That plug should NOT be removed in any event for servicing the oil. Some have cracked the engine case tampering with that plug.

Is the drain plug that you got a few ounces of fluid out of vertical on the bottom right side of the pan? If so you may have drained the Transmission oil. That might explain the noises. I've been using synthetic in my 06 Glide with no change in noise at all.

There should be about a quart of oil drained if it was the trans plug.

Also does anyone know what the plate right under the crankshaft with a small drain plug in it is? I removed the plug but only got a few ounces of oil out of it.

Not sure what you mean by "plate". If you mean the pipe plug in the bottom of the engine, this should NOT be removed. That hole is only used in the manufacturing process and is glued in there "permanently" by Harley. Some folks have damaged the case removing this pipe plug which of course is an expensive booboo.

Not sure why you are having such a drastic change in the noise of the engine changing to a full synthetic. Some difference might happen, but nothing as drastic as you describe. I suggest retracing your steps to make sure everything was done correctly.

When you drained the engine oil from the oil pan, you did so by removing the plug at the front of the oil pan, right? This was an oil plug, not a pipe plug. (Changing Your Oil (drain plugs) - Harley Davidson Community)

And then when you refilled the engine with oil, it took about 3.5-4 quarts to be back at the full level when hot?

If everything checks out, then you may want to go back to the Dino oil to see what happens.

TQ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back