free website stats program What is a "biker" | Page 9 | Harley Davidson Forums

What is a "biker"

Well, I smoke, I swear (not here anymore) and I ride as much as I can. But I assure you I'm not the stereotypical biker. Since our HOG chapter spends much time raising funds for kids charities, and visiting veterans hospitals, and old folks homes (The old folks, crack me up signaling us to rev our motors!!) So where as I have some bad habits, I'm definately not the self centered, outlaw, dirtbag that most non riding people consider a biker. They say $20k and 20 miles don't make you a biker. Well I only paid 6k, (and another 3-4k on repairs and upgrades over the last couple years) But I think it's all about why you ride. If you asked my wife, she'd say "I don't know if he's a biker, but I know he's an addict!, If he's not riding that thing, he's polishing it, or talking about it!"
So am I a biker, some would say yes, some would say no. I know I love to ride, and I try to be the best person I can be. So I guess I'd say there are a lot of bikers, and just like any other subcatagory of our species, there are good ones and bad ones. Definately not what you'd call a 1%'r, which I think says it all 99% of "Bikers" are law abiding, good people.
I would say youre the type of Biker I strive to be !

As evidenced by the number of replies, it is obviously not easy to describe a "biker".

I have ridden for over 45 years, mostly on Harleys. My motorcycles have been my only form of transportation at some times in my life. That means ride in the winter (Illinois) and the rain. I do most of the work on my bikes myself, and when I was younger, I did all the work myself. Most of my clothes reflect my connection to riding, which means I pretty much look the same, on, or off, of the bike. In a bad year I might only put 18,000 miles on my bike, in a good year, many more.

I am not a biker, I am a long time rider.

You might ask why I make that distinction.

A biker has a much bigger commitment to his motorcycle and friends. His motorcycle defines who he is, and who his friends are. Without a motorcycle, he is not a complete person. The biker lifestyle is far more demanding than most people can handle. The people you ride with are number 1 in your life, and a motorcycle defines all of them also. Being a biker requires total commitment. While you could include 1%'ers in this group, it includes more than them. If your commitment is not that strong, you are a rider. Just owning the "uniform", a bike, and riding, does not make you a "biker".

As far as swearing, not every biker is the same, and it is never a good idea to carry pre-conceived ideas concerning any group. I have known many mild mannered Bikers, and they would hate the stereotype applied to them.

Like Smitty, lots of smiles...if it has two wheels, at one time or another I rode it...although I never could get the hang of a unicycle, or ride hard in sharp turns the now banned 3 wheel ATVs...:newsmile017:

As evidenced by the number of replies, it is obviously not easy to describe a "biker"...

...I am not a biker, I am a long time rider.

You might ask why I make that distinction.

A biker has a much bigger commitment to his motorcycle and friends. His motorcycle defines who he is, and who his friends are. Without a motorcycle, he is not a complete person. The biker lifestyle is far more demanding than most people can handle. The people you ride with are number 1 in your life, and a motorcycle defines all of them also. Being a biker requires total commitment. While you could include 1%'ers in this group, it includes more than them. If your commitment is not that strong, you are a rider. Just owning the "uniform", a bike, and riding, does not make you a "biker".

As far as swearing, not every biker is the same, and it is never a good idea to carry pre-conceived ideas concerning any group. I have known many mild mannered Bikers, and they would hate the stereotype applied to them.

Well stated post...reflects my feelings as well. "Biker" is a label, "Rider" is more about the "act" as in action, put 'em together and there you go...! :newsmile090:

Well stated post...reflects my feelings as well. "Biker" is a label, "Rider" is more about the "act" as in action, put 'em together and there you go...! :newsmile090:

Just as people call themselves baptist, methodists, and so on, by calling themselves "bikers" it gives them a means to indentify with a group or preconcieved idea that is hyped up by movies and the media. Most people's idea of a "biker " is one of a big 300 plus pound guy with lots of tats and an attitude to match. So by calling themselves a "biker" it allows them to feel tough also. However, once people really get to know we that ride bikes, they soon realize that we are not all a bunch of 300 plus guys tying to break the law and raise cain. Just the opposite. How does the saying go... One worm ruins the whole bunch of apples.....:newsmile090:

What makes a biker to me is not what you ride or THAT you ride. But more why you ride.

If you ride to simply get from point A to point B in a cheap way, then I don't think that's a biker.

If you ride because you love the freedom and openness of the scenery passing by you with the wind in your face and the smells in the air, an appreciation for those who share in that feeling and the respect for the machine sitting under you...

Then I think that's a much better opinion of a biker than someone who simply rides and uses that as an excuse to swear.

It's like the saying goes...."Its not the destination, its the journey".

I know people that ride who just want to get where they're going. When the way it should be is 1/2 the fun is getting there.
well said skratch, i could'nt agree with you mor.

After 45 years of riding everything with an engine and two wheels I have certainly had the opportunity to ride with a wide range of individuals. I have ridden and partied with every sort of "biker" and throughly enjoyed myself. But in all cases it was a matter of respect for others that proved to serve me best. I can cuss with the best of them but I can also communicate without any profanity if needed. If you fellers (or ladies) don't care for cussin' then out of respect for you that's the way we will play it. Just joined the forum and so far like the way you guys work.

Back