free website stats program What is a "biker" | Page 8 | Harley Davidson Forums

What is a "biker"

Well, I smoke, I swear (not here anymore) and I ride as much as I can. But I assure you I'm not the stereotypical biker. Since our HOG chapter spends much time raising funds for kids charities, and visiting veterans hospitals, and old folks homes (The old folks, crack me up signaling us to rev our motors!!) So where as I have some bad habits, I'm definately not the self centered, outlaw, dirtbag that most non riding people consider a biker. They say $20k and 20 miles don't make you a biker. Well I only paid 6k, (and another 3-4k on repairs and upgrades over the last couple years) But I think it's all about why you ride. If you asked my wife, she'd say "I don't know if he's a biker, but I know he's an addict!, If he's not riding that thing, he's polishing it, or talking about it!"
So am I a biker, some would say yes, some would say no. I know I love to ride, and I try to be the best person I can be. So I guess I'd say there are a lot of bikers, and just like any other subcatagory of our species, there are good ones and bad ones. Definately not what you'd call a 1%'r, which I think says it all 99% of "Bikers" are law abiding, good people.

I'm sure you could catch me cursing in my garage while working on something.
However, I don't understand how someone could "slip up" and accidentally type a curse word.

Last edited:
Excellent post and my thoughts entirely. :D

I dissagree. Some of the grammer and spelling on some postings is just terrible and that includes mine. Sometimes we are in such a rush to respond to a post that we think of one thing and type out another, mistakes are made. I have been warned a few times myself on words I thought were not considered profanity.

However, the rules are plain and clear. You either abide by them or get banned.

LOL, Ok, lets not turn this into a profanity rules post, lets stay on topic. e.g.; what is a "biker"

(Mod's, sorry not trying to step on any toes.)

As I've stated before I started late, came from a poor back ground and any extra went to family needs. I've road may bikes since then and finely have my dream bike. But I have discovered when i road across the country last year by myself that I didn't really care what I was riding. I was so lost in the freedom, independence, the scenery, the exhilaration, the folks who saw the license plate and wanted to talk. And at the end of the day I made it a point to find a mom and pops hotel way off the beaten track. I'd sit outside with a wobbly pop in hand and reflect about the day’s ride and I absolutely knew this is what I want to do. Only those who have trouble expressing how they feel when they ride understand. Biker? No answer.
On the other note no matter what you believe or how you grew up, I like the previous post “when invited to someone else’s house, show respect”.

I liked Jim's87flh comment about being an addict. My wife told me that I was an H-D addict the other day. She asked me if all my t-shirts and hats were going to be from H-D dealers that I had visited. She also gave me that look that only wives can give to husbands when I said how close the nearest Harley dealers (in Meredith and Concord, New Hampshire) were on our vacation. I'm still on that vacation, but I think I'd better stop putting H-D dealers into the GPS for a while. My name is also Jim, and I'm an addict.

As stated in my introductory post, I just purchased my first Harley this week, and I'm glad I did.

(Also, in my first post was a word that was inappropriate for use in this establishment. That has since been corrected and I'm okay with that.)

So now that I have a Harley instead of a Rice-Burner (can I say that?).
Am I now a 'biker'? I don't think so. I very much enjoy riding my motorcycles, whichever brand it may be at the time. This is Harley season for me.

However, while in the garage enjoying some time alone with this Chromium Contraption, I noticed something. In no less than four places on the bike the previous owner installed emblems that read, "Live to Ride, Ride to Live."
Wow. That must have really been important for him to make that sure of a statement. I wonder if it was really true for him or if he merely felt compelled to add yet more chrome thingies.

For lack of a better measuring stick, I'll say that the Live to Ride statement would make a good definition of a 'biker'. I am therefore excluded from the club as my statement would not fit on the side of my football sized air filter cover...

Live to serve Him
..........love my wife
..........teach my children
..........provide for my family
..........give my life for her
..........speak the truth
..........worship continually
..........care for orphans and widows

Ride to Walmart for more diapers

Back