free website stats program What is a "biker" | Page 7 | Harley Davidson Forums

What is a "biker"

First I got to say that this site is the greatest. You have your rules and they are what they are, myself I think they’re fine, matter of fact I like them. Prior to joining and since I have searched and found mechanical solutions here that have helped me and others as well.
Profanity sometimes is just a habit for some of us and I believe I fall into that category so if I ever slip up I apologize and welcome the warning.
As for what a biker is, even if you lump all the groups afore mentioned in the prior posts I have to say that I think a biker is someone who rides out of the love of the sport, the feel, the thrill, the sights, the smells, the adventure of what is around that next curve, the freedom and relaxation that riding a backwoods country road provides. I have loved motorcycles since I can remember and started ridin at ten, I have to say it never grows old and I pray that I ride, bike, or cycle which ever you prefer to call it until…….. I just cant no more.

Personally, I think this hits it on the head real squarely, great post!.... and oh by the way. if you slip, so may I :D

Rules are rules ya know!

Well out of respect for you and the other moderators I refrain from using language. Now I myself know there is a place for foul language and there are places that it is not welcome. I think that HD talking is a better place for being regulated on what you can and can't say, I think it makes for better conversation, a more friendly environment. I know there are several times that I would like to say something krass, but I word around it.

As far a being a biker, I have said it before that I really don't consider myself a biker, I am just a dad that has a bike and enjoys riding to clear the mind and get some fresh air. I have always been fascinated with Harley's and have wanted one from the time I was kid, I don't need to explain it, because we all know what I am saying. I never wasted my time or money on getting anything else, I knew what I wanted. There are lot's of times I just jump on the bike with cargo shorts a T-shirt and sneakers and head on out, I don't need a bike to give an image or something I am not. IMO it is about the ride and the freedom and enjoying yourself on the best motorcycle ever built.

Wow, what a long thread. But, I will applaud all the moderators here for keeping this forum clean & informative.

I may or may not be a biker, but I know way more now than what I did when I joined & I appreciate it.

I was brought up by great parents of which neither would use foul language. (Come to think of it, not many in the entire family even drinks) As a matter of fact, I have never heard my father say a foul word. Once when I was watching my pop putting a drain in the driveway, I was sitting off to the side watching him & my brother work. They were cutting slots out of the top of the pipe & I leaned back & put my left hand on a piece of hot steel that they had just cut out. I was in my late teens, I pulled my hand back & said something in front of my dad that I shouldn't have said.......he didn't yell at me or ground me, but he did look at me & say 'you just had something in your mouth that I wouldn't hold in my hand'. 'Nuff said. I learned.

Another instance when I was young & dumb & only had a cordless phone, I was talking to my mom & I thought I was disconnected, I went on a foul mouth tangent. The next thing I new, the phone was ringing and I answered to hear my mom saying that she just wanted to say good night because if she never got to talk to me again, that was not the last thing she wanted to hear me say. Again, 'nuff said.

As for following the rules, it's not that hard. If I wanted to go to my parents & lounge at the pool, no problem, but I can't use foul language & I don't take any alcohol, not even if they were not there. I know they would be upset to even see the empty containers in the trash.

Keep up the great work! :ap :ap :ap

Great post RD King! Being a biker has nothing to do with who you are, what you say, or what you say you are. It has to do with a something deep inside you, a love of the ride, the machine and the freedom of riding through the world instead of being transported in a climate controlled capsule isolated from the world, to your destination.

I've been called a biker, but I think of myself as more of a "gearhead" I love machines, all kinds of machines, they fascinate me. I've been riding since I was 14 (with a few years off due to an unfortunate incident, marriage). I still have my first Harley, a 73 Sporty that I bought used, very, very used, rehabilitated and rode for 8 years till I bought a 92 Softail that had been customized to look like a Street Glide (way before the Motor Company even thought of them). Now I have an 06 Road Glide that is pretty stock (comparatively) and probably will stay that way. I've had a few different bikes and lots of cars over the years, but I can't seem to give up the Sporty, I guess I've given her too much of my blood, literally as well as figuratively.

I guess it all comes down to this, a biker has bikes in his blood and blood in his bikes. :yes

If swearing were part of being a biker, HD would have put out a chrome covered language manual and sold it for 39.95 at the dealership.

Labels are what other people stick on you. If you have to swear to give yourself a label, something is wrong.

Glider, thanks for taking one on the chin for the greater good of the forum. If you didn't do the job you do, I don't think I would have joined!

Thanks for the kind words. Let's not give Harley any ideas with the chrome covered language manual in any event, they get enough of our $$$ as it is.:D

IT all depends on what you're definition of IS IS , I do believe he set the precedence.
Be careful not to over MODERATE !!

I am a runner (did Boston Marathon in celebration of being 5 years cancer free) and have been involved in many discussions on whether an individual is considered a runner or a jogger. To me, if you are out there running, no matter what your speed, you are a runner.

The same rings true for bikers. There are many types of bikers from the Professional Racer to the 1% but it is all boils down to one thing - it's all about the love of the ride.

Life's Short. Just Ride.

MJ

P.S. There are definitely more women bikers now than there were in the 80's! And some of us swear like sailors too (or soldiers in my case).

No offense to my friend Glider but I think that the question of what a 'biker' is has been dealt with a lot on every bike forum that I've been on. I just like riding my Harley, if that makes me a biker, than so be it.

Back