free website stats program What did you take your test on? | Page 10 | Harley Davidson Forums

What did you take your test on?

a 1976 honda cb350, and like so many others ....i rode for two years before i took the test. the wheelies in the parking lot next to the dmv were fun . i needed to kill time for my legal rider to meet up with me.:bigsmiley20:

got my licence in 1976 before any classes. took MSF in 1979 at my first base, that was the first year the AF offered it. Showing my age.

Well this is a spin off from another post about taking the MV test on your bike. When I got my permit, I had never ridden a street bike in my life. I bought the bike (Wide Glide), I had the permit a week later and I scheduled my road test for two weeks later. Now originally I planned on taking the test on my bike, but when I talked to a friend who took the test on his Dyna just a few weeks before said he would not take the test on my bike mainly due to raked front end and the forward controls. He did not like the idea of the forwards vs the mids, for stability in the cones and turning.

With him telling me this the only thing that had me bothered is the U turn, I really did not want to risk dropping my bike for a stupid tight turn that you can not plant your foot or use your mid pegs to lean on too. So I rented a scooter and I don't regret it. I mean for real, when are you ever going to go through 6 cones and make a sharp U turn that you can not plant your foot and have to stay in a box. Now don't get me wrong, I get what the test is about, but you have to look at the big picture. These test should be more realistic and be done out on real road conditions or at least much wider area to operate in. So for me taking a test on the Scooter and getting my licence was worth it. I am not embarrassed by it, I have talked to many of guys that did the same, they all said the same thing, the test is too tight for a big bike..

So with this said, what did you test with and how did it go??
I took my first expeiranced (forgive the spelling) after riding for 24 years, I just bought my 04 lowrider and did the tight box, (i wish lol) and the entire safty course on her, passed 3rd in the class. PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE, I recommend a riders course for everyone and feel it should be madatory for all new licences

Took mine on a 83 Triumph TSX750. I flew right through it quickly. After I was done the instructor went wow and said you have been riding for while haven't you and I said yes I decided to become legal after being pulled over too many times for loud pipes then of course riding with out a license . young'in love to make noise.
Took the MSF test on a Hayabusa Not the bike for those courses

A 1966 ca77 Honda Dream. My brother-in-law's bike. I didn't have one yet. Up to that point, 1976, I'd only rode offroad.

Year of Successful Road Test was 1968, Bike was Yamaha DT-90 Dirt Bike, 38 bikes ago.......... Fair to say bikes get in your blood for life!!

Just returned tonight from attending the 2009 Vintage Motorcycle Auction in Las Vegas, it was fun to see many of the same bikes you road from the past, like running in to an old girlfriend without the embarrassment!!

I got my licenses back in the early 80's while in the AF. But to ride on the base now in 2008 after not riding a street bike in at least 15 years I had to take the base motor cycle safety course. I was worried I would be able to maneuver my EG through the tight cones quick stops and the "U" turns. To my surprise it was that hard. They taught me that you can handle the big bikes in tight spots... My book says my bike weighs 800+ pounds... I did take my luggage rack off. I figured I didn't need that 40 pounds. I was a little worried. I would hesitate to take it today with it loaded...

I did it on the buell blast in the Riders Edge course--twice, a year apart. My unfortunate doofus story is first time through the figure eight, went outside of the box a couple times and was trying to figure out while I'm doing the manuevers why I wasn't turning tighter. Well, our practice course has the small s curve drill a few yards right after. I was so out of whack overthinking things that I (we think) tried to slow down in the curve with ---the FRONT BRAKE--and sure enough, down in a millisecond. Unfortunately, must have tried to brace with the right leg. Snap, ruptured quadriceps tendon, surgery and 3 months in a fixed brace, 3 more rehab.

Didn't stop me (wife had passed the next week and started riding), took the test again the following May and we're happily riding together on our 1200c and 1200N.

Prior poster's note on the "ride like a pro" DVD and using the clutch and rear brake to control with a constant throttle is right on. It makes the going slow and feeling of control through the tight turns a snap. I'd watch the DVD before trying the test if I were a beginner.

Last edited:
Back