free website stats program Washing the new bike? | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

Washing the new bike?

If it peeling or spotting it's done for.
There are a bunch of cleaners and coating out there I think they all work just make SURE it is for the bike and not Glass. It only takes one time to destroy a windshield. And do not use the waxes and soaps at a car wash on them.
You may get away with it but if you don't the shield is junk. I learned the hard way
Ive been using reg. liquid dish soap on my windshield (per manuel ). I just use my bare hands and rub the soap on and it really works, no scratches or swirls at all. The plastic has seen about 13k here in texas with bugs the size of basketballs!:D

This all very good advice from everybody.
My question what is the best to clean a windshield with?
I have seen some very sorry looking windshields yesterday that are dull looking and seems that some of them are "peeling" if you know what I mean, it looks like there is a film on it that comes off in some spots?

Yamaha *sorry* makes windscreen-plexiglass cleaner that just plain works on my helmet, face shield, my 93 Katana (metric) fairing, bodywork and windscreen. Apply it to a clean old white cotton T-Shirt, rub it in circular pattern "firmly" and let dry to haze, then get fresh clean old white cotton T-shirt and polish all the swirl marks and scratches. It does not smell petroleum based like similar products and things SHINE. Once done, simple maintenance polishing with Gliders' pet PLEDGE keeps your ride looking new...PERIOD! :D

I've used Plexus for years. Should find it at any autoparts store. Use a microfiber cloth to apply and you should be good to go.

I use Armor-all auto soap. Better for the finish (or so I'm told) than dishsoap and it has more lubricant than dishsoap to avoid scratching and swirls. I blow dry and then detail dry with a very soft, damp terry cloth towel.

Use Formula 2001 Auto wax for the tins, McGuires chrome wax for spoke wheels, chrome etc. I keep it shiny by using some detailing spray that they use at my local HD store. Can't remember the name. Next time I go into the garage I will find out as I love this stuff.

Its pink and smells like bubblegum. use a very soft, fine micro-fiber cloth for inbetween-washing detail work.

I love a clean bike. :D

sounds like my grandchilderns bubble bath :)

:bigsmiley20:

I hear ya. Every time I walked into the HD showroom it always had this nice bubble gum smell to it. When I got my first bike they gave me free stuff for keeping the bike clean. The detailing guy says he lives by this stuff.

I know it sounds funny with the smell and all, but this stuff works really well. I just spray some on the microfiber cloth and go nuts. Brings out a nice shine.

Washing the bike. . . well, since I'm here in Orygun, it rains all the time and if you don't ride in the rain, you just don't ride. So, with that in mind, I use a hose and a whole bucket of Maquires Liquid Gold auto soap. Hose down, wash down, hose again and I use a leaf blower to get the big drops off. Then I have a half dozen or so of those microfiber towels that won't scratch or otherwise. I then use the Wizards to finish it off with. (I know, non of ya know what Wizards is, but thats my secret from the car show days)

When I'm all done, I have a sit next to the bike and I have a good cigar with cold adult beverage. :small3d026:
Ugly John

Last edited:
imagewrap.img

Look something like this? :D

imagewrap.img

Look something like this? :D

You know, the minute I posted, I knew you would be all over it. :s Yes, that's it. I use the spray bottle stuff for in between times, but yeah, that's it.

I bet if I had clocked that, it would have been under a minute.....:bigsmiley20:
Does anything get by you Glider? I think we need a thread to see if we can stump you... How about a "Stump the Glider Thread" :D
Ugly John

Does anything get by you Glider? I think we need a thread to see if we can stump you... How about a "Stump the Glider Thread" :D
Ugly John

I try not to let any grass grow under my feet John :D

Besides I've been around a bit longer than you :s

Back