free website stats program Washing the new bike? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Washing the new bike?

On engine powercoat I use pig spit I do use pledge on engine chrome
Ok That sound good, think ill give it a try. One thing that maybe you can help on, I have the grey powdercoat engine and there are water streaks or stains that are starting to show up and i cant figure out how to get rid of it. Any ideas? What is pig spit and where do you get it?

If you check into it, the grey isn't powder coat, it's paint. If you take some lacquer thinner on a paper towel and test a spot underneath, you'll see that the grey comes off on the towel.

The pig spit is usually available in the HD dealers or indies.

There's an aerosol paint from the dealer for touch up. #98606BY which I have a can of that I can't use :D

SILVER BEAD BLA Utility Harley-Davidson® Parts and Accessories

If you check into it, the grey isn't powder coat, it's paint. If you take some lacquer thinner on a paper towel and test a spot underneath, you'll see that the grey comes off on the towel.

The pig spit is usually available in the HD dealers or indies.

There's an aerosol paint from the dealer for touch up. #98606BY which I have a can of that I can't use :D

SILVER BEAD BLA Utility Harley-Davidson® Parts and Accessories
Well i didnt know that, i thought it was powder coat.

I do this every weekend after a week of riding:

Hose down bike with fresh water. Avoiding air cleaner and minimal hit on electrical bits e.g. hand controls, speedo.

Bucket and sponge wash with Mothers Car Wash.

Hose down bike with fresh water AGAIN. Avoiding air cleaner and minimal hit on electrical bits e.g. hand controls, speedo.

Chamois of tinware and exhaust. Towel dry the wheels.

Start the motor and run for a couple of minutes. If I'm keen I will turn on the compressor and air dry things like the shocks and spokes.

Leave for about half and hour to dry.

Mothers Chrome cleaner on the chrome. Mothers Instant Detail on the rest. S100 Engine bright on the black motor etc (when it needs it). Armourall the seats.

NEWBIE here.. new to this forum not bikes. I ride all year round so my bike gets pretty dirty. I usually take a hose and bucket to the bike then use leaf blower to dry. 90% of the time I wax tins and polish the chrome before putting it away. Couple of weeks ago I went for an all day winter ride so when I got back it was covered in road salt and crud. Next morning I used S100 because there was no way I was using a bucket of water in 35 degree weather. Worked pretty darn good. I have also used simple green, just spray it on like you do S100, let sit for minute or 2 then hose off, that works great and lot less costly than S100.
Next time I clean the bike I'm gonna bite the bullet and try Pledge, especially on my billet rims, they're a pain in the backside to clean and keep clean.

Last edited:
Back