free website stats program Trying to adjust myself to new 2010 Ultra | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Trying to adjust myself to new 2010 Ultra

The idea is to get a "feel" for the stop. After a long ride, you have to be a bit more careful. Habits save your bacon, so develop them. Always use both brakes in normal braking (not on curves), then, as you slow to near stop, come off the front brake entirely, and feather in with the rear brake. Your front brake will drop you like a rock in slow speed manuevers. Habitualize covering it, but not actuating it until you get your speed over a speed determined by feel and experience, or to a complete stop.

In shooting, reducing the target size helps alot, so do so with your scoot. What I mean is to begin practicing the last few feet so that you don't have a discernable "stop" jerk at the very end. Then, get used simply lowering your left foot to the ground, and keeping your right foot on the brake. Almost what you want to do is see how long you can go without putting that foot down. You don't want that feeling of having your front forks compressing at that last stop point, the weight of the fairing makes that an uncomfortable feeling. Also, get over the front brake squeeze as you feel the bike seeming to dive one way or the other. You will only make it worse. Back brake only at the very last. If you practice lowering only your left foot, you will have the right foot and rear brake available, and won't "have" to grab the front. If, on the rare occasion, you need that right foot to touch base with the ground, OK, but work to make it rare, and get it back up on the brake as soon as you can.

Also, if momma don't choose to wiggle around during slow speed manuevers is a real plus.

Enjoy,
Rich P

6" with a 31" inseam, you should not be having trouble with this bike. Are you putting a lot of stuff in the Tour Pac? Try re-packing based on weight, keep the "heavey" things in the bags closer to the ground, in fact, in the bottom of the bags. As for stopping, I think it's the jitters, once you get the balance thing setteled, the eratic stops'll go away cuz ya won't be thinkin about it. If all else failes ya can throw a buncha money at it, new seat, shocks, handlebars, windshield, etc..........we've all done this so stay in touch and tell us how it goes.

I checked my stock seat this morning. Mine must have been made priot to 1-18-10 because I have the earlier version seat.......before the factory change to a lower seat.

I wonder if I talk to the MOCO if they will authorize a "no charge" swap for me. I doubt it, but it won't hurt to ask.

I think I am going to persue a lower, narrower seat. I would like to be as in control as I was on prevoius bikes.

They may exchange the your seat for the "L" seat, as there are some taller guys who like the stock seat with higher profile just fine...if you are real "nice"! :small3d036:

Also, when stopping as others have said, make sure the bike is straight and use more rear brake, so the front end dives and "pogos" less, and of course a lower profile seat will help. Technically, the bike should be "easier" to ride with the passenger as the extra weight lowers the bike about 2", and if they keep still, their center of gravity and line of sight with your DOT sticker on the back of your helmet you should be fine. If they wave their arms or squirm about, they can destabilize the bike...so instruct your passenger for their AND your safety.:s

Last edited:
I would highly suggest practicing several stops without the wife on the back. Using both brakes to bring yourself to a smooth stop, placing your left foot down upon stopping and covering your rear brake. Keeping your head and eyes up during this whole process. At that time, you can put the right foot down to stabilize the bike, or pop it into neutral and relax with both feet down. You can release some of the pressure on the front brake just as you come to a stop to maintain control. I would never practice just using one brake for stopping, as someone else suggestged, since this would lead to bad habits that will show up when things go bad suddenly. When you master the stops, practice with her on the back.

Slow speed training would be benifical as well, which I think is where your main problem lies. You would be surprised how well those big bikes can maneuver at slow speeds. Mastering riding slow speeds translates into safer ridiing at all speeds. You can learn to use the rear brake to stablize the bike, while properly slipping the clutch and use of the throttle.

Also the advice on a new seat to get is good if you are having some issues with reaching the ground. Although I've seen riders shorter than you handle the Ultra's fine with a passenger on the back and a the stock seat.

Your center of gravity is much higher than your previous bike, especially with the wife on the back. A good passenger, also does not move around too much, especially when stopping. It does not take much movement to throw you off balance. Therefore, practice practice practice!

I'm 6'3 with a 36" inseam. However the Ultra is a great handling bike above 5 mph. Below that with a passenger is a little tricky but it does help to be able to plant both feet flat when coming to a stop.

The idea is to get a "feel" for the stop. After a long ride, you have to be a bit more careful. Habits save your bacon, so develop them. Always use both brakes in normal braking (not on curves), then, as you slow to near stop, come off the front brake entirely, and feather in with the rear brake. Your front brake will drop you like a rock in slow speed manuevers. Habitualize covering it, but not actuating it until you get your speed over a speed determined by feel and experience, or to a complete stop.

In shooting, reducing the target size helps alot, so do so with your scoot. What I mean is to begin practicing the last few feet so that you don't have a discernable "stop" jerk at the very end. Then, get used simply lowering your left foot to the ground, and keeping your right foot on the brake. Almost what you want to do is see how long you can go without putting that foot down. You don't want that feeling of having your front forks compressing at that last stop point, the weight of the fairing makes that an uncomfortable feeling. Also, get over the front brake squeeze as you feel the bike seeming to dive one way or the other. You will only make it worse. Back brake only at the very last. If you practice lowering only your left foot, you will have the right foot and rear brake available, and won't "have" to grab the front. If, on the rare occasion, you need that right foot to touch base with the ground, OK, but work to make it rare, and get it back up on the brake as soon as you can.

Also, if momma don't choose to wiggle around during slow speed manuevers is a real plus.

Enjoy,
Rich P
After reading this I have actually been doing as you have suggested this past week and it works. I stop with both brakes but get off of the front one first, stay on the rear brake longer and put my left foot down. It is a much steadier stop for me now. I used to primarily use my front brake for stopping. I think it was just me being a bit lazy. It was easier to squeeze the front brake as opposed to lifting my foot and stepping on the rear brake.

That's good to hear. I've been teaching riders that for years. That will make both and the wife happy now.

Good job . I believe RibEye had you covered as well as others. That is what they teach motorcycle cops to do when they stop. Take a look at one sometime if you have them in your area. It also makes it much easier when stopping on a hill to have your foot on the rear brake so you can give it some throttle and ease off the brake as you begin to move. Good luck and keep practicing.

It also makes it much easier when stopping on a hill to have your foot on the rear brake so you can give it some throttle and ease off the brake as you begin to move.

Precisely why I try to do this all the time - make it a habit!

After reading this I have actually been doing as you have suggested this past week and it works. I stop with both brakes but get off of the front one first, stay on the rear brake longer and put my left foot down. It is a much steadier stop for me now. I used to primarily use my front brake for stopping. I think it was just me being a bit lazy. It was easier to squeeze the front brake as opposed to lifting my foot and stepping on the rear brake.
Sweet. Soon you will habitualize it, and do it without thinking about it. Trust me, getting a-hold of both brakes in an emergency will remain natural. Just remember, full-on stopping is only to be done in a straight line, If you need to turn, get your speed down in a straight line, as much as you can, then slow-speed manuever your turn when you can. You will know your max braking power when, as you are clamping down in a controlled manner, your back tire just "hints" at a chirp. You don't want to break either tire loose. Max is max and there ain't no more. You really need to practice to get that feel. It will save your life...it has mine several times.

Front brake will throw you down like a hot rock, during slow-speed manuevers, and will straighten your line right out (over the top) if you grab it in a curve. Your rear brake is called "controlling" brake for a reason. In a curve, slow in, fast out is much better than too fast in and feeling like you have to slow down to make it (you won't). Actually, sometimes a bit of gas in a curve is better than brake, but again, you have to practice to get a feel.

Enjoy,
Rich P

Back