free website stats program Trying to adjust myself to new 2010 Ultra | Harley Davidson Forums

Trying to adjust myself to new 2010 Ultra

lwilliams

Just got my new bike last month after riding my 2007 Heritage for 3 1/2 years.

I am having trouble with stops. Even worse with the wife on the back. I never had the problem with the Heritage or previous bikes.

At the same time, my feet don't reach the ground flat when stopped. I almost dropped my bike and wife last weekend.

I am 6'0" and 205 lbs. 32" inseam. I guess I am wondering if I need to do something to get my feet closer to the ground.

Have any of you had this experience and, if so, how did you fix it?

Just got my new bike last month after riding my 2007 Heritage for 3 1/2 years.

I am having trouble with stops. Even worse with the wife on the back. I never had the problem with the Heritage or previous bikes.

At the same time, my feet don't reach the ground flat when stopped. I almost dropped my bike and wife last weekend.

I am 6'0" and 205 lbs. 32" inseam. I guess I am wondering if I need to do something to get my feet closer to the ground.

Have any of you had this experience and, if so, how did you fix it?

Maybe a different seat and better boots with more sole and heel

Probably should have addressed this issue with the dealer after the test ride and you maybe could have negotiated some changes into the purchase price of the bike. I know - water under the bridge right now.

Cheapest solution would be the already mentioned boots with thicker soles. Next would be a different seat or have the current seat reworked to sit you a little lower. You could go to shorter rear shocks but you don't want to adversely affect the handling or that Ultra ride!

I have the same issues and am about the same size.

Never ever an issue with my springer.

After careful thought, I determined that stopping in as straight a line as possible is key. Seems that the geometry weight combo of the Ultra is just odd enough to my style that I get into trouble if I am turning at a stop.

Give that some thought, and if you find another cure, please, oh please, let me know.

She supports my toys and loves to ride with me, but if I drop her, I'm a dead man limping.

I just got my 2010 ultra on the 3rd a friend had a low seat they are 1 inch lower than the normal seat and look the same it really made a differnce for me and i am only 5'11

What I do is have my wife flip the floor boards up and rest her feet on top of them when I have to move slowly. When we first got the bike we even did this at stop signs but now only when moving slowly. I am 5'9" with 30" inseam and the boot idea works for me, however I do plan on reworking the seat over the winter. Hopefully this will make you feel more comfortable on your bike.

I am 5' 7" with a 29" inseam.I don't touch the ground flat footed.A few things that helps me is to stop in a straight line,looking straight ahead and release the front break before I get completely stopped.[around 10 to 15 feet]Also don't take my feet off the pegs before I stop,if I do my feet get behind me,not out to the side where I need them.Hope these things will help.

I too have a similar problem with my Ultra. When I come to a stop, and like you say, especially with the wife on the back, it becomes an ungainly erratic stop. I never had that problem with the Kawasaki that I had for over 22 years. My wife can feel the herky-jerky stop and she knows that it is unsettling for both of us. My ego wants me to be this "in control" kind of guy but the cat is out of the bag, she knows that I am not so smooth in the stopping dept. What makes it worse in my case is that my wife has gained a "little" weight and perched high up on the seat throws the balance off somewhat. At least for me it does anyway.
I'd have to agree with BluesFan that a straight stop is essential for a smooth stop. I am 6'3" tall and my feet do lie flat on the ground so that ain't the problem. Besides, I have a friend who is like 5'8" and rides and Ultra also and he stops as smoothly as can be. I've had the bike for around 3 years now and I am getting better at it as I hope you will too. I believe the answer is to master the slow riding maneuvers. Good luck to you and don't drop your wife!! I worry much more when we are two up instead of just me solo.

See if your dealer has the reach seat and, if so, ask if you can test it on your bike. This will drop you down/back a bit. Another option is Mean City Cycles (seat mod) - can call & discuss possibilities (Mean City Cycles Custom Seat Modifications :: Home). Good luck, hope you find something that works. Otherwise - trade for a Street Glide...;-)

Last edited:
Back