free website stats program Trying to adjust myself to new 2010 Ultra | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Trying to adjust myself to new 2010 Ultra

hi I`m 5-9 / 31 inseam - what I did was buy boots with tall heal & soul (1.5 in heel) - also I don`t use the rear brake for slow stops only the front.-steering straight I have the timing down to stop & both feet down at same time , same with take off -both feet up at same time . I find when using the rear brake with the pressure on pedal & weight shift bike wanted the fall over. the other thing is do not turn your shoulders to look side ways when stopped . turn your head only , when you turn shoulders it shifts your body lean angle and can put you off balance,

I had already discovered that a stright line stop is about the only way I can do it right now.

I guess it's really frustrating because I never had this problem on any bike before.

I am really apreciating all the suggestions too.

Do you think a Harley dealer would let you test a different seat? I will ask about that tomorrow as I have a scheduled appointment there in the morning. I would hate to buy a different seat and then find out it did not help.

I did notice that the Ultra Classic is almost 2 inches taller at the seat than the Heritage.....the seat height may make all the difference for me.

Check your seat location. I'm 5'8" with a 30" inseam. I found that I was sitting all the way back in the seat and the width of the seat was part of the problem. I solved the problem by changing seats but before that I moved all the way forward in the seat just before stopping. This made me sit up straighter (more control of the bike) and I could get both feet planted firmly when stopped. Made all the difference in control for me.

Remember the bat wing fairing adds 30 lbs to bars. So when off center the bike tends to want to fall the way the bars are turned. Stopping in a straight line is the best advice offered. The boots with thicker soles is the way to go so long as it does not cause you knees to be in a uncomfortable position. Being flat footed is essential especially two up.
Pratice..... Pratice.......Pratice riding buy yourself in a empty parking lot to get the feel at slow speeds and stopping.

All the talk about "straight line stops" is fine and dandy but I still think you should be able to safely stop your bike in ANY situation. How often do you start a slow, turn from stop and then see a hazard that forces you to stop? Pretty often for me. And in this situation, if you grab a handful of front brake you are going down!

Priority number one should be to modify the bike and/or your riding apparel so you can control it in ALL situations. This should come before modifying your riding habits. Then - practice, practice, practice!

My wife has an 06 Ultra and we changed the seat to lower it a little now she can put both feet on the ground comftorably.

I checked my stock seat this morning. Mine must have been made priot to 1-18-10 because I have the earlier version seat.......before the factory change to a lower seat.

I wonder if I talk to the MOCO if they will authorize a "no charge" swap for me. I doubt it, but it won't hurt to ask.

I think I am going to persue a lower, narrower seat. I would like to be as in control as I was on prevoius bikes.

I am also 6' tall and had the same issue when I purchased my 2008 Electraglide Classic. It seemed much more top heavy and un-stable at low speeds compared to my previous fatboy.

I found that the solution for the most part was simply riding it and getting used to the different handling characteristics.

I do have a couple of little tips though:

Ensure that your riding boots have good rubber soles for traction when you are holding bike up at a stop. One slip and that is a whole lot of bike going over...

As you come to a complete stop, use the rear brake only. Using your rear brake tends to stand the bike straight up. Using too much front brake will cause the bike to want to dive to one side or the other and makes for a wobbly un-graceful stop. This is also true during low speed turns in parking lots etc. Use rear brake only. Give it a try and you will be amazed at the difference in low speed handling.

I did manage to drop my bike once about a week after I got it. Backing into parking stall with the missus still on the bike is also a bad idea....

After the bike went over, I was initially horrified but soon discovered that those shiny chrome bars at the front of the engine and around the saddle bags are actually there for a reason. Only damage (other than my pride of course) was a small scuff on the underside of one of the mufflers.

Oh yeah, the missus was fine too. Thankfully I had the good sense to help her up off the ground before picking the motorcycle back up.

All the talk about "straight line stops" is fine and dandy but I still think you should be able to safely stop your bike in ANY situation. How often do you start a slow, turn from stop and then see a hazard that forces you to stop? Pretty often for me. And in this situation, if you grab a handful of front brake you are going down!

Priority number one should be to modify the bike and/or your riding apparel so you can control it in ALL situations. This should come before modifying your riding habits. Then - practice, practice, practice!
That is exactly how I put my bike down in July Doc. I pulled out slowly from a turned position when I saw a hazard. It was a car coming around a blind corner at a pretty good clip. I hit the front brake hard ( I know, big mistake) and down she went. I almost broke my foot. It hurt for months! So yeah, the bike does definitely need to be "controlled in ALL situations". Something I obviously haven't mastered.

l williams I had trouble when I first got my 09 FLHTCU. I am 5 10 32" inseam, I found when I switched the type of boot I had. The heal on the new boot is lower but the soul on the front part is thicker so my foot sits flatter on the ground. Also found that when stopping if you lighten up or release the front brake right before You come to a stop it helps keep the front end from flopping over or feelling like it is.

Back