free website stats program Surprise!!! | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

Surprise!!!

I purchased mine in Sept 08 as well. At 350 miles, the entire shift rod floated out of the rear, just as I was getting on the freeway at 10pm in the ghetto. I held it all together, got under a streetlight, and I was able to slide everything back together and rode it home with my foot holding the linkage in. The next issue was within a month of that, when the heel shift loosened up on the spline and was trying to float off. I broke 2 allen wrenches trying to tighten it, and finally just put cable ties around it to hold it together. And then the third and God willing last issue, 60 mile ride on freeway, got to the exit, and the heel shift was missing. HD covered all three as warranty issues and I don't leave home without a package of cable ties.....

Well I think Harley has dropped the ball again on the rear shifter. Instead of reversing them they use the same one so the back shifter has the bolt coming up from the bottom instead of the top like on the front toe shifter. With the bolt coming up from the bottom if it loosens up than the bolt just falls out. Make sure you lock tite the rear shifter bolt and that will help. I bought the one that swings out at a 45 degree angle and leave it that way all the time. It's just as easy to use it that way than if it sticks straight out at 90 degrees. That shifter which is totally designed to go on the back still has the bolt coming up from the bottom. You'd think the designer of that one would have the fore thought to have it bolt from the top down. Guess we need more rocket scientist in the motorcycle trade.

Never had a heel shifter, but I think it goes along with the Springer front end and other nostalgic sensations that are a part of owning your Harley...a rite of passage if you will. It is your choice to enjoy it or "pitch it", but always check for loose linkage hardware, on both sides of the bike. Just the last month I looked down (always ride by feel) and felt the shifting stroke to be a little different and found the heim joint locknut was loose and had unscrewed about 4 turns. This incident is now part of my my pre-flight inspection check list before I ride.

Back