free website stats program Surprise!!! | Harley Davidson Forums

Surprise!!!

BuffaloBill

Hey Guys & Gals

This morning going to work on freeway went to shift up after down shifting on exit and my foot was shifting AIR I lost my rear shifter Has this happend to anyone else? Luckily my front shifter was still there As I have stated on previous posts I have owned a few other Harleys and put many miles on them but I never experienced anything like this. I gues its my responsibility to check the nuts and bolts wich I usually do every time I wash/clean the bile I have not checked the shifting linkage in the past Well I will definately check on it regularly from now on. Just a long shot should I mention it to the Dealer My Bike is still under warranty or am I wasting my breath

Ride Safe
BuffaloBILL

Last edited:
Being an 09, I would say very poor setup was done by the dealer (that you probably paid for) and they should replace it for you at their expense.

Entice them a bit and tell them your willing to pay the $30. difference between the standard shifter and the kick away,on a long trip you won't regret it.:D

Hey Guys & Gals

This morning going to work on freeway went to down shift on exit and my foot was shifting AIR I lost my rear shifter Has this happend to anyone else? Luckily my front shifter was still there As I have stated on previous posts I have owned a few other Harleys and put many miles on them but i never experienced anything like this. I gues its my resaponsibility to check the nuts and bolts wich I usually do every time I wash/clean the bile I have not checked the shifting linkage in the past Well I will definately check on it regularly from now on. Just a long shot should I mention it to the Dealer My Bike is still under warranty or am I wasting my breath

Ride Safe
BuffaloBILL

Years ago I lost my shifter while riding my 1960 panhead on the interstate.It only had a toe shifter,so I was stuck in 4th gear with nothing to shift with.Luckily I wasn't that far from Mills HD and was able to time the traffic lights so as not to need any shifting.BTW does anyone here remember mechanical brakes?

Being an 09, I would say very poor setup was done by the dealer (that you probably paid for) and they should replace it for you at their expense.

Glider

The only issue they may have is that I purchased the Scooter in September of 08 . 7 months is a long time I will give it a shot
Thanks
Bill

Glider

The only issue they may have is that I purchased the Scooter in September of 08 . 7 months is a long time I will give it a shot
Thanks
Bill

I finally realized that you are talking about the heal shifter peg. Initially I thought you were talking about the shift lever on the tranny. I have had a couple of those wallow out to the point where they would not grab the splines on the tranny shaft. Unfortunately, the inner primary has to come off to replace that one. Worth checking the fastener on that too. I think that is the fastener there is not good and tight, it contributes to the problem.

TQ

I finally realized that you are talking about the heal shifter peg. Initially I thought you were talking about the shift lever on the tranny. I have had a couple of those wallow out to the point where they would not grab the splines on the tranny shaft. Unfortunately, the inner primary has to come off to replace that one. Worth checking the fastener on that too. I think that is the fastener there is not good and tight, it contributes to the problem.

TQ

TQ
You were correct the 1st time I only lost the shifter lever attached to the peg The splined peg is fine

Bill

Sorry to hear about your problem but thanks for enlightening all of us so we will add it to our list of things to check.

I agree with Glider - doesn't matter when you bought it, it's still under warranty and it certainly doesn't hurt to ask for them to put on a new one. What's the worst they can say - no?

Hey Guys & Gals

This morning going to work on freeway went to shift up after down shifting on exit and my foot was shifting AIR I lost my rear shifter Has this happend to anyone else? Luckily my front shifter was still there As I have stated on previous posts I have owned a few other Harleys and put many miles on them but I never experienced anything like this. I gues its my responsibility to check the nuts and bolts wich I usually do every time I wash/clean the bile I have not checked the shifting linkage in the past Well I will definately check on it regularly from now on. Just a long shot should I mention it to the Dealer My Bike is still under warranty or am I wasting my breath

Ride Safe
BuffaloBILL

Morn'n,

The first thing I do when I get a bike that has the heel shifter is remove it
and move the front toe shifter up one or two teeth.
I like the little added space on the floorboard. More comfortable.

ride safe

twoup

When I purchased my 08 last year I didn't have it 2 months and I lost all shifting. Shift rod came off completely at the rear knuckle. That was fun, luckily I was in town just taking off from a stop sign.

Back