free website stats program Surprise!!! | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Surprise!!!

When I purchased my 08 last year I didn't have it 2 months and I lost all shifting. Shift rod came off completely at the rear knuckle. That was fun, luckily I was in town just taking off from a stop sign.

I had that happen to me before on the 07 RK I had. Went to down shift and nothing. Talk about a worried surprise. :( Luckily I was with some friends that had tools or I would have been up the creek. It was a good lesson learned to at least carry a few basic tools with me.

As for the rear shifter, that's thing gets in the way of my big foot and is the first thing I removed when I got home with my bike. HD makes a nice little cap to cover the outer shifter spline. So, I didn't lose mine, I know exactly where it is, in the box with all the other stuff I've removed and or replaced,

Buddybr
:USA

Being an 09, I would say very poor setup was done by the dealer (that you probably paid for) and they should replace it for you at their expense.

Well Glider you were half right
I went to the dealer close to home "Republic Harley Davidson" and spoke to the GM He apologised but stated that unless the shifter broke in half Harley would not warranty it. I then proceeeded to go to the Parts counter and purchase the "Break Away" Heel toe shifter as STEVE07 suggested $69.00 I mentined what happend to the Parts employee He asked me to follow him into the Service Dept and after a few minutes the Service Manager came up to me told me to pull the bike into Service I was out of there within 25 minutes with a fee of $34.29 The differance between the stock shifter price and the New Break Away Shifter
Now that is good custumer service
I did not even purchase the bike from them What a Pleasant Surprise

Maybe I was just lucky cause it was St Patricks day

Ride Safe
BuffaloBILL

While I was on vacation in Florida in Feb...I talked to a fellow 09 Ultra rider at the dealer in Sarasota - he has been back to the dealer twice now with that issue...they replaced it both times - and so they should... btw - Steve - what is a "kick away" shifter?

Same thing happened to me on the way home from NM. I had just had 10K service done. I took the bike into my HD shop and they replaced it with no questions asked. They even replaced the custom shifter peg. Take it in. It should be covered by the warranty.

Back in late 70's lost the rear brake linkage on my 77 lowrider . Bad time to realize the push rod is missing when you go to use back brake and it goes straight down and no stopping. Luckily I babied Fronts and downshifted. Vibration causes funny things (or not funny things) to fall off. Also had lost the crank off my fishin rod same trip. Go figure? Course was the AMF years
:D

When I purchased my 08 last year I didn't have it 2 months and I lost all shifting. Shift rod came off completely at the rear knuckle. That was fun, luckily I was in town just taking off from a stop sign.

Well ditto. Happened during a slow cruise through a small town I was exploring just off the freeway. Bike's a month old '09 FLTR with about 3000 miles on it.

Heel-shifting on the way out of town, I felt something give and looked down to see something fall under the bike. Thank god it was not on the freeway - could've bounced into the rear wheel (lock-up) or into another bike or car.

Time for Loc-tite and the torque wrench...

==RedEye

BTW - what else can I expect to fall off in the next few miles?

==RedEye

Last edited by a moderator:
Morn'n,

The first thing I do when I get a bike that has the heel shifter is remove it
and move the front toe shifter up one or two teeth.
I like the little added space on the floorboard. More comfortable.

ride safe

twoup

+1 - I do the same.

I guess I know what happened to my rear shifter. It wasn't on the bike when I bought it. Come to think of it, neither were about half the ones I test drove. Sign me up for the no rear shifter club.

A friend's brand new 09 FLHRC has spit out two of them on the highway. Both times Quaid HD of Temecula replaced them. Third one is hanging on so far.

I love my extended rear shifter lever from Walter's Workshop. Puts it past the rear of the floorboard for more footr room.

Since new my 2004 EG Classic had a continuing problem with the front vertical shift arm loosening and falling off the splined front shaft unexpectedly while cruising. Then you would go to shift down and poof; the shift pegs just flop around uselessly. The only way you could shift was to reach down and jam the shift rod forward or backward. Since there is no way to do this and operate the clutch at the same time, lots of gear jamming results. Great for the tranmission I am sure!
I finally got totally sick of this (EDIT)last summer and replaced the whole mechanism except the peg levers, and it has been fine ever since.

Rod

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
Back