free website stats program Sportster manly? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Sportster manly?

I have to modify my previous statement. I did get a few "Hardly Davidson"s back in the day, but only from my brothers in a 1% club I was hangin' with at the time. The bro's was always smilin' at the time they said that so...no problem. When they did not know I could hear, I heard, "Nice...clean", etc.

Enjoy,
Rich P

I think they're nice bikes but I wouldn't want one. I'm 6'3 and I doubt it would be comfortable and I prefer my bagger. I've seen more than a few ladies riding Ultras so its not a matter of being easier to ride.

I think anyone who thinks a Sportster is A "chick bike" has issues with their own perception of who they are, maybe an insecurity problem.

I owned an 07 1200SE and loved it until I started riding a lot with my wife, just not enough room for two. We decided the on Softail. The performance and handling of the bike were great, although somewhat top heavy, but you could really carve the twisties, overall a lot of fun. JMO!

I've seen Ultras and Road Kings that were definitely "chick bikes" simply by they way they were customized. An XR1200X or 48 would never be mistaken for anything other than a hot rod, and although there are "chicks" that will ride them not "chick bikes".

I may have a soft spot in my heart for Sportys cause a 73 Ironhead lives in my storage room waiting for me to restoer her. She was my first Harley and I can't bear to let her go.

I have a friend that rides a Sporty. I like to tease him about it being a piglet. Although my first Harley was a sporty and had fun with it at the time. My riding style has changed over the years. I just can't see going to one now.

I had a 76 sportster and would do 300 mile trips with no problems , of course I had to stop every 90 miles to fuel up . I had 8" over forks on it also . By the way I was only 21 at the time that might of made a difference .

I think you ride what you want. If you are worried about what others think then you have a whole lot of other issues to deal with. I can give you an honest opinion of a new sportster thouigh. I bought my wife a 2011 Super Low and it was a great bike for her riding style and she was very happy with everything about it until we started taking longer trips and she spent more and more time on the interstate. She started complaining about vibration, I rode it for about 50 miles and at 70 MPH that thing was completely miserable! I would not have one no way - no how. For me anyway my opinion is they are great around town but not for any extended trips. I traded it the next week for a new Deluxe and she's a happy camper again. Ride what you want and be happy. NO one else has to pay the bill!

Jeez, if that would be the reason why you do or don't buy a bike you need to revise your reasons for having one at all..

So i was just curious what everyone thought when they saw a sporty drive down the road... is it a man bike? or would u think to yourself what a gump, my wife has one of those.. I believe its the man that makes the bike but just curious what everyone else thinks.:s

Non HD people seeing a Sporty go down the road just see it for what it is - a Harley.
I think the myth about a Sporty being a girl bike is one which was invented and is found only amongst Harley owners themselves - big twin owners obviously and, in my experience anyway, mostly Dyna folks. (No offence meant to anyone here!)
Metric cruiser, roadbike & sportsbike people don't even know about the sporty/girl bike thing. What does that tell you?
Just so you know, I like sportsters:D

It all boils down to how you ride and what fits. I'm a big guy (6 foot one and 250 lbs) and have sat on a few sportsters before deciding on a dyna....only because I felt cramped on the sportie. I have never ridden a sportie but would think that a 1200cc might have more guts than my 96 when you look at the reduced weight of the sportie! For boulivard work and back roads I think a sportster 48 would be amazing! They definately look great!

Back