free website stats program Snowbirding in AZ | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Snowbirding in AZ

I went on a short ride Friday (New Years Day) with the Tucson HOG Chapter. Nice bunch of people. During the wait around time in the parking lot prior to getting underway, I overheard a couple of guys talking about the Mt Lemmon Road. So, today I found it and rode to the top of the mountain. Well, you can't ride to the very top, but I got as far as the road goes.

I started out in Tucson at ~2400 feet. I topped out at the parking lot for Ski Valley at 8448 feet. A 6000 foot increase in elevation. Its a good thing I waited for a warm day, it got a little chilly by the time I got to the top.

This is a view of Tucson from a little ways up the road. There are scenic pullouts everywhere.
IMG_1543.JPG

Here's a view looking back down on the road from about 1/2 way up.
IMG_1548.JPG

Lots of these on the road. I keep thinking that one of these will fall over one day.
IMG_15501.JPG

There really is a ski resort at the top. Who knew southern AZ looked like this?
IMG_1555.JPG

IMG_1559.JPG

IMG_1560.JPG

If you are ever in Tucson, I highly recommend this short trip. It is about 25 miles up this road, but the views are spectacular, and the road is great if you can find open spots in the traffic. Mostly easy sweepers that you can really lean it over on. :D

Yeah the Mt Lemon ride is nice, there wasn't any snow up there when I went. Tried going to the top of Kitt Peak last week and hit ice about 3/4 mile from the summit. There's always spring!:D

Man, I really miss Tucson...was stationed there with the Air Force twice, a total of 7 years at Davis Monthan AFB. Thanks for the pics of the ride up Mt. Lemmon. I remember one Christmas swimming in a heated pool in the morning and then making a ride up the mountain and having a hot chocolate around the sunken fireplace at the resort in the evening. Great riding all around there.
Enjoy!

Man, I really miss Tucson...was stationed there with the Air Force twice, a total of 7 years at Davis Monthan AFB. Thanks for the pics of the ride up Mt. Lemmon. I remember one Christmas swimming in a heated pool in the morning and then making a ride up the mountain and having a hot chocolate around the sunken fireplace at the resort in the evening. Great riding all around there.
Enjoy!
I too came to Tucson, via Davis Monthan AFB. The difference is, I stayed. I've always been a desert rat. Now I'm just more noisy :)

Ya'll come ride with us when in town.

Enjoy,
Rich P

Took the wife for an evening drive (too cold to ride up the mountain at dark. Yea, I'm a sissy.) We went up Mt lemmon. I wanted her to see it and I wanted to try to get a sunset picture. Temperatures were in the bottom 30's when I took these pictures.

This is about half way back down the mountain.
DSC_4543.JPG

This one was a little further up. Love the snow in this one.
DSC_4540.JPG

Looks great Jake. The snow reminds me of here. :D We had a 55 degree day yesterday, so I got to ride a few miles. Can't wait until Spring. When are you heading back North?

We were going to wait until March to head back. However, the wife likes it so much here that we are going home earlier to explore the possibility of selling our home in TN and moving to the Tucson area. :D Nothing final, but we are looking at it. The winters here are amazing. Most days have been in the upper 60's or low 70's. Based on historical data, Jan is the coldest month, so it will only get better. Once it gets hot though, I would probably hook up the 5th wheel and head north and up.

We have a weekend warrior toy hauler when we travel we have a small electric heater. when we are hooked up we use this to save propane and it's quieter than the heater in our TH. We also have a generator so if there are no hookups we can run that. We have just got back from a trip to Arkansas and traveled through snow and stayed in sites where it froze at nights. My wife can't ride long distances anymore so this is the best way for us.

Back