free website stats program Smokie/Blue Ridge Parkway | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Smokie/Blue Ridge Parkway

I've ridden the whole parkway a few times and various sections about 20 times now on long weekends. I live in Pittsburgh and it's a haul gettin there but well worth it every time. Only problem now is that they shut down all the gas stations a few years ago.

Absolutely a must ride road. Try to avoid weekends when possible especially Spring and Fall. Traffic can get pretty heavy then. Asheville NC is a wonderful place to explore Chimney rock Park and the Biltmore estate are major attractions. From Cherokee NC take 441 to Gatlinburg, also a great road.

I've driven and ridden most of the Blue Ridge as it is our favorite area for vacation and that part of the country is my favorite along with the mountains of New England. The Rockies may be more spectacular but there's just something indefinable about the Appalachians and the people that live there.

Yea, I'll echo whats already been said. Its a wonderful ride. You will love it. I was there in Sept 09 and was the best part of a 3000 mile trip. Here's a few pics for ya.

P9240437.jpg

P9240443.jpg

P9240453.jpg

P9240462.jpg

AJ

It is a great ride. I try to make it up there once a year. Stayed in Gatlinburg last year. Be prepared to cook yourself on your bike if you stay in Gatlinburg the traffic is bad in and out of town. But fun. Got to be some of the best riding there is.

Another warning about the parkway. Beware at the scenic outlook stops. People in cars are enjoying the scenery too. Last year I had a car pull right in front of me out of one of the stops. I was lead bike, out of 6 or 7. I locked both tires up, the lady driving the car freaked and stopped right in the lane. I had to get off the brakes, not enough room to stop. I went around the back of her car off the road a little, then back on. All I heard was my buddies locking up brakes. No one wrecked, but it was way to close.

I'm like Silentflyer in that I only live 10 minutes from the Parkway. It's a MUST ride. There are plenty of pull-offs specially set up at places that have great scenery & a view, view the "looking" for those, because there are plenty of twisties on this road. There are also a lot of roads that branch off of
the Parkway & take you to towns or cities. Get a Parkway map, plan your trip & you'll love it. Remember speed limit is 45 MPH & strictly enforced

Much nicer riding than you have in your neck of the woods. I grew up about 40 miles north of you and like in Virginia now. I am about an hour away from the Blue Ridge Parkway now and ride it several times every summer.

I met my brother last May near VMI and we rode the Parkway for about 150 back up towards my place. It was one of the best rides of the summer for me. There is a lot of wildlife out there so keep your eyes open. We slowed down to see what a Jeep was stopped for and saw a black bear about 20 yards off the road just inside the treeline. That made the day for my niece.

I would recommend comming in from the north and starting in Front Royal, VA taking the Parkway south. There are plenty of spots to eat, camp or hotel along the way. Keep in mind that the speed limit is 35 mph and policed fairly heavily. You will want to stop several times at some of the overlooks.

If you want a real fun ride keep heading south to Knoxville and ride the Tail of the Dragon. Google it if you don't know what it is. 300+ turns in 11 miles!

Be safe, have fun

Anyone been to the blue ridge parkway and smokey mountains? We are thinking of going for a ride there next summer from 80 miles south of Chicago and have about 9 days to do it.

What's your game plan???

If you're gonna gawk.... figure on 150 miles of parkway a day... taking 3 days to enjoy the parkway, and surrounding area roads.

Are you a "canyon carver"? do you like hard twisty roads? then the Dragon (US-129), Hellbender (NC-28), Moonshiner (GA-28), Little Switzerland (277-A), NC-215, US-276, VA-8/VA-40 all offer great roads to knock the shinny off those sidewalls.

Are you a history buff? D-Day Memorial, and more Civil war battlefields to visit than you can imagine

If it was MY call..... I'd slab it south for Knoxville TN, then do the Dragon area
Tail of the Dragon at Deals Gap and Cherohala Skyway, Graham Co, NC, spend a day there.... then start the trek north and east....

Speed limit is 45 in most of NC, and 35 in most of VA, you do NOT want to get a federal speeding ticket.

Lodging is available just off the BRP, as are gas stations.

Go to Welcome to the Blue Ridge Parkway and select the guide (it's free, and you can see what sites are along the way, that YOU want
also check out Blue Ridge Parkway (U.S. National Park Service) they post road closings there.... but don't worry, the detours are often pretty good roads in their own right

Anyone been to the blue ridge parkway and smokey mountains? We are thinking of going for a ride there next summer from 80 miles south of Chicago and have about 9 days to do it.

Hey otter1958,

I live just south of you, outside of Chillicothe IL. My wife and I rode about 100 miles of it last year. I was OK, but we pulled off after the 3rd time I bottomed the forks on bumps that you couldn't see until you got right up on them. We got on, if I remember right, around Richmond Va. Don't get me wrong it was very pretty, but to me, some of the back roads of Tenn. was just as beautiful.

We rode the Smoky Mountains Nat'l Park out of Gatlinburg down into NC. We stayed at A Microtel in Robbinsville NC, they give you a 10% discount if you're on a bike and have towels in the lobby for you to use and a hose outside.

If you get a chance, ride the Charahola Skyway, that is just awesome. The Tail of the Dragon is OK too, but we liked the Skyway the best.

If you get time, check out the Biltmore House in Asheville NC. Biggest private residence in the US (I think the world), built in the early 1900's. It's kinda pricecy, but what the heck, it's vacation.

They have a 5 star inn that you can stay in that cost us about $140 for the night, which was high, but they close the house and grounds at 5 and when you stay you can roam the grounds until dark. We were able to take the bike right up to the front door and take pics!!

We rode 2 lane roads most of the time, interstate is no fun.

Anyway you go, I think, riding anywhere in Tenn. is awesome. :D

AJ,
Thanks for the pics! They help us get through another Illinois winter that seems to drag on forever. Can't wait for warmer weather and then riding out to the parkway next summer.

Otter

was there last year road blue ridge start to finish then skyline drive excellent ride 9 days is more than enough

100_1065.jpg

100_1062.jpg

100_1110.jpg

100_1144.jpg

100_1128.jpg

100_1063.jpg

Back