free website stats program Smokie/Blue Ridge Parkway | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Smokie/Blue Ridge Parkway

I've done it quite a few times. In the Fall I like to ride South to North with the sun to my back. Its been a while since I did it in the Spring so the opposite may apply. There are some really nice state campgrounds on the Parkway. Check the official site before you go for sections that are closed. A nice return loop is route 219 in West Virginia.

this is my Wife's favorite ride. She can go at a slow pace, as not to miss anything, and the absence of traffic is wonderful. That is until you get to Gatlinburg. :D

Anyone been to the blue ridge parkway and smokey mountains? We are thinking of going for a ride there next summer from 80 miles south of Chicago and have about 9 days to do it.

The wife and I rode the Blue-ridge Parkway both ways (938 miles plus side trips) in October. The weather wasn't great, but a great ride. The colors, views, and just being on a motorcycle made this a very enjoyable trip. The park service does a great job in the maintenance of the road and in keeping the area spotless. Many outlooks to pull over to enjoy the views, picnic areas, facilities etc.. The Parkway has it right, enough facilities without the commercial junk.

The Blue Ridge is a beautiful ride. They are serious about speeding, but that's not usually a problem because the gigantic RV's hold traffic down to 20mph. They are also serious about passing on the double yellow lines, I know. I have ridden it end to end several times. Now I hit parts of it, then secondary roads for a more enjoyable ride. I'm more for the ride than the view. I'm not a crazy hotrodder, I just like to feel the curves.

I live at the entrance at the entrance of the north end of the parkway( Waynesboro, Va. ). It's a nice ride, with good roads, but you do have to watch your speed. The park Rangers enforce the 45 M.P.H. speed limit. I do this ride whenever I want to take a nice ride at a slow pace.

This will help, especially if you ride it from north to south and have a few extra days to spend at the southern end. Some of the best rides off the parkway are in the area from Blowing Rock, NC down to Cherokee, NC and there's a bunch, just check out the maps and try to stay off the forest roads they are mostly loose rock and dirt and some paved roads just dead end into them. The parkway is a great ride either way. Stay safe.
Welcome to the Blue Ridge Parkway
The Cherohala Skyway, a National Scenic Byway
Cherokee North Carolina Chamber of Commerce - Cherokee NC - Smoky Mountain Vacation

I live at the entrance at the entrance of the north end of the parkway( Waynesboro, Va. ). It's a nice ride, with good roads, but you do have to watch your speed. The park Rangers enforce the 45 M.P.H. speed limit. I do this ride whenever I want to take a nice ride at a slow pace.

SoulShaker I live in Waynesboro too. We need to hook up. Do you have a group you ride with? Not trying to hijack the thread.

That whole area is beautiful! If you're into lots of turns, try the Tail of the Dragon. Tail of the Dragon at Deals Gap and Cherohala Skyway, Graham Co, NC[/url]. 319 curves in 11 miles! Just BE careful! thats one cool ride!

Back