free website stats program Smokie/Blue Ridge Parkway | Harley Davidson Forums

Smokie/Blue Ridge Parkway

otter1958

Anyone been to the blue ridge parkway and smokey mountains? We are thinking of going for a ride there next summer from 80 miles south of Chicago and have about 9 days to do it.

Hey Otter
me and 2 buds will be leaving the last week in May from Georgia to ride the Parkway..I have never ridden it, but one of the guys have...

Otter, I'm from NC & have been on the Parkway several times. You'll Love it !! One thing to remember... It's easy to be distracted & drive off into a revine by looking around, so be on your toes. It's very beautiful in the Fall also.

It is a great ride. Like was said earlier, keep your eyes open and on the road. It does wind a bit. Watch the speed down through there they are kind of serious about it. The really cool thing is no trucks and no billboards. Don't rush it, just sit back and ease down the road.

Hey Otter
me and 2 buds will be leaving the last week in May from Georgia to ride the Parkway..I have never ridden it, but one of the guys have...

I've been wanting to incorporate a ride up the Blue Ridge with a visit to my brother in Rochester, NY. I've heard you should set aside a minimum of 3 days to do it from start to end due to the scenery and the speed limit. Be sure to post something in the Road Trip section when the time gets a little closer - maybe I can tag along if my schedule allows and you don't mind another rider.

I live in Northeast Ga. Have ridden it and it is beautiful.. Pay attention to the road cause the scenery will keep you distracted if not careful. The drop offs don't give you a second chance. Enjoy your ride.

I've riden it twice and will be back again. The best plan for the parkway is not to really have a plan. Take your time, enjoy the scenery, and leave plenty of time for stops. Some of the walking trails to Mountain top views and water fall ravines are breath taking. If you enjoy the stops, 100 miles a day would be about average.....and take a good camera.
If your going thru Cincy, stop for a beer!

The speed limit is 45 mph, lots of curves and twisties, just don't get distracted by the views, it's a long way to the bottom. Deer are an issue around dusk, so slow down and enjoy the sunset. The upcomung HOG magizine is doing a feature on the Blue Ridge Parkway soon. Enjoy the ride it's rated one of the 10 best rides in the USA. I am lucy enought to live only 10 minutes away and ride it often. there are some guide books out there for the ride.

Back