free website stats program SE compensator | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

SE compensator

Compensaver - Home

Another option would be to convert to a closed belt drive.

There is an extensive discussion on HTT on the problems with the SE compensator as well as DIY tips to address the issue. Quite a read but very informative.

SE Compensator

I'm going to replace the Comp with the first SE Rev -08 Comp and the Comp Saver. If it ends up going south. I'll move to a closed Belt Primary system.
During installation, I will take pics and post for all to see. I will give a report as well.

I'm going to replace the Comp with the first SE Rev -08 Comp and the Comp Saver. If it ends up going south. I'll move to a closed Belt Primary system.
During installation, I will take pics and post for all to see. I will give a report as well.

The issue even with the "A" SE compensator is well known... Lack of lube getting into the unit being the major problem... Centrifugal force is the big factor.
Much talk was over early on from the HTT site. Geezer and I brought the conversation over here to HDTand there is a thread here that shows pictures.

I recently (haw,,,,18,000 miles ago) installed the SE "A" comp.
I grooved the face from the center front of Each spoke midway and circled diagonal all the way into the boss face.Helping to PULL a drop of needed oil into the unit...... Seams to be working as I showed NO rust on the compensator when looking at the OUTER parts when I recently installed a SE clutch spring... The compusaver would do well on my unit.... BUT no rust showing,,,, I'll leave it alone for now..... Believe me MANY have less miles and when looking just like I didd from the outside SHOWED Rust on the outer parts...ALSO, I would suggest WHILE APART,,,, Check the Bushing and Bearing condition behind the clutch on the Tranny/Clutch shaft(remove the full primary covers) DON'T go without checking....... Too many dimpled bearings ready to go(like mine) Some will be bad and NO Noise but it will if not replaced...

signed....BUBBIE

Bubbie, thanks for the info.
I do plan to remove the outer and inner covers and inspect and replace the seals and bearings. small price to insure my piece of mind.
This is going to be a fun project! :)
WAP.gif

the glue on parts help but they are not enough.
The design changes simply do not work and the new design seems to wear

Glue on parts help but are not enough? Didn't the new compensator kit (Part # 42200064 & 42200095) just come out. I can't understand how any collective run time data (already wearing out) could be accurate.

Your saying the 42200064 & 42200095 kits don't work? That is the HD model which has the oil holes in the sprocket retainer and oil spinner.

WAP.gif

I just talked to a guy at compusaver. He states that the latest compensators being manufactured by HD are by far, worse than the fist generation SE comp. if you can get a 40274-08 comp and then get the compensaver, this will be the best combination and last a very long time.
I just purchased an 08 SE comp from aspen valley HD. Ask for Zak (970) 928-7493.
WAP.gif

...and the compusaver guy has no vested interest in saying that, right? I have to agree with others posting here. How can there possibly be any sufficient mileage records on the new kit to realistically evaluate longer term durability.

I have no dog in the fight...

I'll try to get some pictures and show the NEW problems.... I saw some picts a while back, I'll try to locate and put them up here under this thread. One thing that bothers me is having a small roller bearing under huge pressure and lack of movement unlike the older fiber grooved washer BOTHERS me......

signed....BUBBIE

I'll try to get some pictures and show the NEW problems.... I saw some picts a while back,
signed....BUBBIE

Bubbie, I thought the new HD comp was hot off the presses. You gotta be kidding. This new one doesn't work either?

And that thrust bearing isn't sold separately either. Wonder if it is an odd size..
Those pictures would be great.

Here is the 08 and 08a main parts side by side; you tell me why the 08a is any better than the 08; the 08a piece is on the left and all other parts are the same. Looks to me like a change that was made for ease of manufacture rather than solve the issue.

I understand there were more that a few issues with the fiber washer slipping out of place during the assembly process, as the washer only rides on a very small lip in the 08 on the right. However the washer rides on a full long shouldered diameter in the 08a version on the left. I'm not seeing a functional improvement - only a manufacturing and assembly improvement.

From what I can gather on other forums, failure doesn't take more than 20K-25K miles to occur. The 08a version has been around long enough for plenty to have rolled up enough miles to see the units fail; lack of lubrication remains the issue. I know nothing about the 2014 version with the glue on parts; it might be the bomb for all I know.

No dog in the fight either; both my bikes are early models with the "good" compensator. More than 50K miles between the two with no compensator issues.

I know nothing about the 2014 version with the glue on parts; it might be the bomb for all I know.

Here is a picture of the current new one. You can see the oiling holes sprocket retainer. I was hoping this would be the answer because there is a kit which only includes 4,5,6,7,8,9 and the oil catching tray & it's under $200. It assumes you have the SE rotor and washers already.

Now the CompuSaver is a work of art. If money was no object, I would buy it today. I just can't swing that type of dough.

Attachments

• New_Comp.pdf
    280.6 KB · Views: 67
Here is the 08 and 08a main parts side by side; you tell me why the 08a is any better than the 08; the 08a piece is on the left and all other parts are the same. Looks to me like a change that was made for ease of manufacture rather than solve the issue.

I understand there were more that a few issues with the fiber washer slipping out of place during the assembly process, as the washer only rides on a very small lip in the 08 on the right. However the washer rides on a full long shouldered diameter in the 08a version on the left. I'm not seeing a functional improvement - only a manufacturing and assembly improvement.

From what I can gather on other forums, failure doesn't take more than 20K-25K miles to occur. The 08a version has been around long enough for plenty to have rolled up enough miles to see the units fail; lack of lubrication remains the issue. I know nothing about the 2014 version with the glue on parts; it might be the bomb for all I know.

No dog in the fight either; both my bikes are early models with the "good" compensator. More than 50K miles between the two with no compensator issues.
These look like the one that came out of my 08 egc, but nothing like the se that i replaced it with.

Back