free website stats program SE compensator | Harley Davidson Forums

SE compensator

dlfidler

Good morning I ride a 08 Ultra Classic. I'm going to replace original compensator. Want to replace with SE compensator. Does anyone know if the new compensators come with a new rotor. I have been on to a couple Harley discount sites & can't find the answer or even the PN's. Thanks

Pretty sure I saw a thread about this in this Forum. Maybe someone better at searching than me can locate it for you.

Good morning I ride a 08 Ultra Classic. I'm going to replace original compensator. Want to replace with SE compensator. Does anyone know if the new compensators come with a new rotor. I have been on to a couple Harley discount sites & can't find the answer or even the PN's. Thanks

Look down this forum page and there are some compensator links/input.
The old, "new" SE compensator, (PN 40274-08 $250.00 P&A book 2013) comes with a new rotor. Same rotor that is standard on the 2014 models.

If you upgrade to the even newer SE Compensator PN 42200064 $300 (with better oiling), you'll need the new rotor (PN 30041-08) that came standard in the earlier kit. I think that rotor by itself is $117 or so. New kit comes with oil deflectors that have to be glued in place. I don't know how to feel about glueing plastic inside the primary cove. What if it comes loose?

The newest SE Compensator is standard on the 2014 bikes.
Don't know how they will hold up. Owners can't ride their new bikes w/hydralic clutch until they get that problem fixed.

Evidently Harley has a problem and is willing to sell the better parts. Rather see a recall.
Two new SE compensator kits issued since 2008.
The 96 CI engine started to cause problems with the older compensator so Harley, in its wisdom, is willing to sell you better parts.
The weak compensator will usually shows up when the bike is hot and you try to start the bike. Sounds like a box of rocks and if not fixed, it will only get worse and eventually take out the starter. Expensive!

I had mine replaced this spring. Really helped. Hope it holds up. My starter was fine. I could see the drive gear when apart and it looked good. Not chewed up.

There are aftermarket alternatives for the SE comp problem. The upgraded version seems to work fine for about 20K-25K miles and then the lubrication issue, or lack thereof, reappears.

Hoban Brother, AKA Darhorse, has a replacement in the works but don't know if it has made it to the market yet. A guy named Richard K has a prototype that he has in the patent process but has made several on request. BDL has a replacement but the results I have read have no been favorable.

The Compensaver is an aftermarket solution that looks like it would solve the problem but I don't have any personal experience, nor have I read much about it.

Compensaver - Home

Another option would be to convert to a closed belt drive.

There is an extensive discussion on HTT on the problems with the SE compensator as well as DIY tips to address the issue. Quite a read but very informative.

SE Compensator

There are aftermarket alternatives for the SE comp problem. The upgraded version seems to work fine for about 20K-25K miles and then the lubrication issue, or lack thereof, reappears.

Hoban Brother, AKA Darhorse, has a replacement in the works but don't know if it has made it to the market yet. A guy named Richard K has a prototype that he has in the patent process but has made several on request. BDL has a replacement but the results I have read have no been favorable.

The Compensaver is an aftermarket solution that looks like it would solve the problem but I don't have any personal experience, nor have I read much about it.

Compensaver - Home

Another option would be to convert to a closed belt drive.

There is an extensive discussion on HTT on the problems with the SE compensator as well as DIY tips to address the issue. Quite a read but very informative.

SE Compensator
WAP.gif

I just talked to a guy at compusaver. He states that the latest compensators being manufactured by HD are by far, worse than the fist generation SE comp. if you can get a 40274-08 comp and then get the compensaver, this will be the best combination and last a very long time.
I just purchased an 08 SE comp from aspen valley HD. Ask for Zak (970) 928-7493.
WAP.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Did he give a reason why the latest version of the SE Compensator is so bad? I just ordered on from lshd. Can't keep riding my bike with all the noise the original one is making. I have 32,000 miles on my 10 ultra.

I would think that the most recent revision comps haven't been on the road long enough for such a poor report to be accurate. Folks are having their troubles with the '14s, but no one has mentioned the new comp yet as one of them. The hub in the new comp has oil holes to run oil into the trouble prone area by centrifugal force and oil is dumped in the area by the plastic add on collector/funnel piece included in the kit. The spoke/cam interface has been made bigger so it helps spread the load over a greater surface area and the sprocket spokes have been re-contoured to help flow lube into the cam area. If this turns out to be worse than the previous design, I will be totally surprised. My "mark 1" SE comp has been doing quite well for over 40,000 miles. If it goes bad, I will have no discomfort (other than financially) going to the new design. To my shade tree mechanic's eye, the new one looks like it should be the last revision needed unless there is some invisible problem like inadequate hardening. And if you still have the factory comp on an 07 through '10, (probably anything before '11) you will need the new rotor.

btsom,

Thanks. I thought I researched all of this before placing my order. There is some concerns about gluing some plastic oil diverters inside the Primary cover. I have no problems with that if it is putting oil in the places that were fretting on the old style SE Comp.

I am looking forward to having my "old bike" back. Lately I have been having a lot of issues with hot starts, and lots of noise with slow speed starts in first gear.

Did he give a reason why the latest version of the SE Compensator is so bad? I just ordered on from lshd. Can't keep riding my bike with all the noise the original one is making. I have 32,000 miles on my 10 ultra.
WAP.gif

Yeah he did give reasons. the design was changed in an effort to redirect oil flow to the hub of the comp. the glue on parts help but they are not enough.
The design changes simply do not work and the new design seems to wear out sooner rather than fix the problem.
This guy also stated that he has inspected the primaries after 3600 miles to find total failure.

I called compensaver up and he offered a free unit for my bike if I was to buy the new 2nd generation SE comp. He again recommended, "IF" I could still find the -08 SE comp and use his comp saver, I would not have anymore issues. I searched and found one. Now I will get his comp saver.
Call compinsaver, talk with them a bit.
WAP.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Back