free website stats program Sad Day :( | Page 6 | Harley Davidson Forums

Sad Day :(

I wouldn't use any steel wool on chrome even though some do it. I like the original look of chrome and anything abrasive will leave a spider web effect in the chrome when it is in the sun.

Chromium by nature is a very thin covering over a nickel plating and if you try to polish it out or shine it up, it's very easy to go through the chromium and expost the nickle plating which has a different look than the chrome. The chromium is basically a translucent coating and the shine you are seeing when you look at it is the nickle showing through the chromium.
It doesn't take much to polish through the chromium being it is only a few mils thick.

More reading on the topic...

Chrome Plating - Harley Davidson Community

Glider
DId they not start the delfin in 2002 , I have a 2001 Ultra with the morelli , although my bike was built for export so who knows....just wondering

The cross over from Morelli to Delphi was in 2001-2002 depending on the model of bike. Baggers changed over in 2002.

Speaking of chrome, I worked on some of the chrome last night and it is coming up nice, I am using this
Blue Magic® Metal Polish Cream (400) - Ace Hardware I swear by this stuff for the bad oxidation. There is a bad patch on the chrome exhaust covers, any advice? My own advise is a new set of Rineharts, but I would like to polish it out till then. What kind of steel wool should you use on chrome??

Steel wool is to abrasive, lots of elbow grease and lots of good chrome polish, this will take a bit of the tarnish ans chrome off but wont leave permanent scratches as the steel wool would:s

I wouldn't use any steel wool on chrome even though some do it. I like the original look of chrome and anything abrasive will leave a spider web effect in the chrome when it is in the sun.

Chromium by nature is a very thin covering over a nickel plating and if you try to polish it out or shine it up, it's very easy to go through the chromium and expost the nickle plating which has a different look than the chrome. The chromium is basically a translucent coating and the shine you are seeing when you look at it is the nickle showing through the chromium.
It doesn't take much to polish through the chromium being it is only a few mils thick.

More reading on the topic...

Chrome Plating - Harley Davidson Community
Do you think it would be possible to replate my wheels?

Do you think it would be possible to replate my wheels?

I don't see why not. If they are mags there's places that will ship you the same wheel in chrome and take yours in as a core charge but I believe you have spokes on the bike so they would have to be broken down first.

It may be easier to just buy new or used wheels in good condition and sell the ones you have, less down time and you can recoup some money selling the old ones.

I believe you have spokes on the bike so they would have to be broken down first.
Yes they are spokes. I am think I am at the point that the bike is going to be down till October, I want it completely redone. The chrome is in a little worse condition than I first thought. The rims are shot, no bringing them back. All the visible chrome is in good shape, headlights, rocker covers, basically all the engine chrome is good, just some pitting here and there on the brackets and such. I am getting it polished up nice, there are some things that are going to have to be changed, but not a big deal, I knew this. I think I am going to order two new heat shields for the rear exhaust pipes and order some new slip ons. I have no idea what the exhaust is, it may be stock, but is a little throaty for stock exhaust. I cannot find a brand name anywhere, so I have no idea what to order for?

If they are stock mufflers, there should be a part number but it would be facing down towards the ground on each one. Pretty much all slip ons will fit the pipes on the bike.

Post a pic and maybe we can help you out with identifying them.

If they are stock mufflers, there should be a part number but it would be facing down towards the ground on each one. Pretty much all slip ons will fit the pipes on the bike.

Post a pic and maybe we can help you out with identifying them.
Gotcha, here you go. Thanks!!

Attachments

• DSCF1200.jpg
    DSCF1200.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 19
  • DSCF1201.jpg
    DSCF1201.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 18
  • DSCF1199.jpg
    DSCF1199.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 17
Been working on the chrome for 2 days nows and I am getting some great results. I pretty much decided that both the rims on the bike are shot and I am just going to pull em and toss em and get two new rims and 2 new tires. The tires are coming up bit by bit, but they are more yellow walls than white walls. I have been blasting them with some good ole Wesley's, but not getting the true white wall I have been hoping for. So no big deal, just going to order two new tires.

I did a search 2 nights ago and found a product called Blue Job? It is a powder that removes bluing from chrome, it also promises to clean rust. Anywho, I did a dealer search and came up with two guys that supposedly sold the stuff and neither heard of the stuff when I called. I got talking with one of the guys and it just so happens he has a shop about 3 miles from the house and he said he had something for me to try. So I went over and I was shocked, the guy had a little shop that I never knew was there, he had a little store and does all Harley work, it is great to know he is there in the future.

So he sold me this stuff called Colonel Brassy metal polish. I never heard of it, maybe some of you have, but I have to say this stuff is the real deal. The stuff brought my rims back to life. There are some spots that are just not going to come off but for the most part, I can hold off on the rims for the time being. The rims are sparkling and look like mirrors now. The stuff goes on in liquid form and when you begin to buff, it turns to a paste and just flakes off. I literally just wipes off rust, I mean stuff I have been buffing and buffing came right off with a swipe. I would use it with caution if you find it and use it!! this stuff seemed to haze and scratch some thin metals on the bike, I had a little piece of aluminum or whatever it is on the bottom of the front fender and It hazed it all up and left swirl marks, it seemed to do the same thing on the forks, I did a little spot on the forks and it seemed hazed and scratched, I buffed it out with some mothers and it took it out. I will only use it on the more solid chrome on the bike, like the rims and exhaust

Colonel Brassy metal cleaner

Back