free website stats program Sad Day :( | Harley Davidson Forums

Sad Day :(

Irish Hog

Well it is a sad rainy day because I sold my Harley last night. I just never liked the bike, it was a beautiful bike, but I just did not like the way the bike rode, I was not comfortable on the bike. I got a phone call from an add I had posted and a guy politely low balled me. The guy really wanted the bike, he basically bought it from just the pictures. I was pretty firm on my asking price, but I also wanted the cash, so I countered the offer and he took it. I really lost some money, but I kind of feel lucky to get an offer with the economy.

I was just messing around and looking at the classifieds this afternoon and found a 2000 Road King. I think I am going to go take a peek tomorrow, It is a little far from home, but it looks like it is in good shape and the guy is willing to negotiate. Any RoadKing riders here? I am sure there are, I believe Glider rides a King. Anything I should check for on a test ride. Thanks guys.

Yep RK for me! :D

The 2000 was a Morelli fuel injection which in itself isn't a bad thing, it's just that the Delphi that happened the following year was a bit better.

Also find out if the cam bearings have been upgraded to the newer and better Torrington bearings. The older INA bearings were a big problem.

Cam Bearings - Harley Davidson Community

See if the cam chain tensioners have bee replaced too. Generally they get inspected/replaced at 25K but some last far past that.

Cam Chain Tensioners - Harley Davidson Community

Cam Chain Tensioner Pics - Harley Davidson Community

Chain Tensioners Baisley Spring - Harley Davidson Community

TC Cam Chains - Harley Davidson Community

Twin Cam Engine Manufactured Before 2000 - Harley Davidson Community

The cure...

Roller Chain Conversion - Harley Davidson Community

TQ's Engine Build - Harley Davidson Community

Will there be anything else?? :bigsmiley20:

I would start by checking around the neck area. Look for any kind of welding or grinding marks that would indacate the frame has been bent in an accident. Lood good cause a good body man can hide his work real well. Take the bags off and give the swingarm a look also. Check under neath and look at the frame rails to see if they have any scrapes or signs of rework. All you can do is look at it to see if it has been wrecked. If he lets you take it for a ride loosen your grip on the handle bars and see if it tracks straight. Its an EVO which are pretty strong motors so check if he has any history on the motor. Its hard to say what to look for just be causious and ask alot of question:small3d012:. Ask if he will go with you to a bike shop to have a mechanic look at it and do a compression test. It's hard to by a used bike you pay your money and you take your chances. Good luck

Yep RK for me! :D

The 2000 was a Morelli fuel injection which in itself isn't a bad thing, it's just that the Delphi that happened the following year was a bit better.

Also find out if the cam bearings have been upgraded to the newer and better Torrington bearings. The older INA bearings were a big problem.

Cam Bearings - Harley Davidson Community

See if the cam chain tensioners have bee replaced too. Generally they get inspected/replaced at 25K but some last far past that.

Cam Chain Tensioners - Harley Davidson Community

Cam Chain Tensioner Pics - Harley Davidson Community

Chain Tensioners Baisley Spring - Harley Davidson Community

TC Cam Chains - Harley Davidson Community

Twin Cam Engine Manufactured Before 2000 - Harley Davidson Community

The cure...

Roller Chain Conversion - Harley Davidson Community

TQ's Engine Build - Harley Davidson Community

Will there be anything else?? :bigsmiley20:
Thanks for the post. I don't think much has been done to it. It has 2000 miles on it. That makes me nervous, possible clocked? The guy does not want me to come to his home which makes me even more skeptical.

I also found another not too far away with 200 miles and from the pictures, it looks really nice, sunglo red.

I would start by checking around the neck area. Look for any kind of welding or grinding marks that would indacate the frame has been bent in an accident. Lood good cause a good body man can hide his work real well. Take the bags off and give the swingarm a look also. Check under neath and look at the frame rails to see if they have any scrapes or signs of rework. All you can do is look at it to see if it has been wrecked. If he lets you take it for a ride loosen your grip on the handle bars and see if it tracks straight. Its an EVO which are pretty strong motors so check if he has any history on the motor. Its hard to say what to look for just be causious and ask alot of question:small3d012:. Ask if he will go with you to a bike shop to have a mechanic look at it and do a compression test. It's hard to by a used bike you pay your money and you take your chances. Good luck
Great advice Thank you.

The guy does not want me to come to his home which makes me even more skeptical.

This would be a non-factor for me. In this day and age, I wouldn't want anyone coming to my home either as long as I was selling an item that could easily be viewed elsewhere.

Back