free website stats program Riding a Brotherhood? | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Riding a Brotherhood?

Do You Feel There Is A Brotherhood Or Like A Brotherhood Amongst Motorcycle Riders?

• Yes.

Votes: 104 83.9%
  • No.

Votes: 20 16.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I guess it all depends on how one defines "brotherhood." I voted yes because I interpreted the word broadly to mean people sharing the common bond of riding motorcycles with all the risks and benefits that go with that. My experience with other riders has been 99% positive. Many have gone out of their way to help me and I try to do the same.

If we define "brotherhood" more narrowly as being the equivalent of being in a 1% club or an organization like the Marines, then I would have voted no.

I prefer the broader definition but understand those who prefer the narrower definition.

Alot of it depends on your definition of brotherhood. A frew buddies and I have a true brotherhood in riding.
There is still a bond, all be it much ligher among others with bikes.

I'd break it down more this this: There are those who get it, and there are those that don't, and alot of posers out there.

broth·er·hood (brŭÞˈər-hoodˌ)
noun

1.The state or relationship of being brothers.

2.Fellowship.

3.An association of men, such as a fraternity or union, united for common purposes.

4.All the members of a profession or trade.

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th edition Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.

Note: this would be the best dictionary simply because of the name. I did not find a RoadKing dictionary.

Nah, to me it's not a Brotherhood. A number of bikers I know have shunned riding with me because I don't drink booze. To be a brother is to act like one. A Good Brotherhood would not embrace that sort of shallow thinking.

Maybe a blind brotherhood is presumptious. I think most HD owners/riders do step up to help out a fellow rider in need. There are common elements of riding a bike that non-riders just don't understand. However, to Smitty's point and others, not all bikers have the same mind set so, it's a bit of a stretch to think everyone that rides is part of the same brotherhood.

I voted yes but, maybe I underestimated the true meaning of brotherhood.

Nah, to me it's not a Brotherhood. A number of bikers I know have shunned riding with me because I don't drink booze. To be a brother is to act like one. A Good Brotherhood would not embrace that sort of shallow thinking.

Nothing wrong with being sober,been there 23 years now and I like it and enjoy and remember the rides now LOL:D

I voted "yes" It does indeed feel that way sometimes. When I had my 1200, was coming back from MS along Hwy 90, lost my shifter peg (someone forgot the locktite), pulled over to see if anything could be done. Not 5 minutes later a guy on a UG pulled over to ask if he could help. We searched the area for a few minutes to no avail, I thanked him very much and made my way home. I will never forget this and wiil always offer help to others.

"An association of men, such as a fraternity or union, united for common purposes"

This is why I voted yes - we all ride 2-3 wheels & have common interest(s). Maybe not blood bro's, but this bond is common enough for me...

Last edited:
Back