free website stats program Riding a Brotherhood? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Riding a Brotherhood?

Do You Feel There Is A Brotherhood Or Like A Brotherhood Amongst Motorcycle Riders?

• Yes.

Votes: 104 83.9%
  • No.

Votes: 20 16.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Especially with Harley owners. Many times on the bike or in the car if someone is on the side of the road I will go out of my way to make sure they are OK. The interesting thing is my previous bike which was a metric broke down twice out on the road and the only bikes that stopped to see if they could help were Harley riders. So there is probably more of a brotherhood with the Harley folks than any other brand.

I agree. Pulled over to the side of the road with my Goldwing a few years ago to put on a sweater. Next thing I know a big 4x4 pickup pulls up behind me. The truck is plastered with Harley stickers and has some big dudes in it. I thought, "Uh oh." They turned out to be the nicest guys you could meet. They were all Harley riders and just wanted to make sure that I was o.k. and didn't need any help.

people are people just because they ride a motorcycle does not make them helpful
On this forum some people join to get help they get there answer and only come back the next time they have a problem and need help (i dont think this type would stop to assist if you broke down)
However some people stick around and take an active part in the forum (these are the guys that will stop and help)
By the nature of the beast Harley riders are more likely to get involved with their motorcycle and therefore may be able to help if broke down
So no real brotherhood just that some people are helpful and some always want help

Brian

I would stop and have stopped and help more than a few broke down on the side of the road. To my surprise this year it happened to be a member of a so called 1%er club. It would be clear to anyone that knows me that the only thing I share in common with that person is we breath air.
Doing so has nothing to with a brotherhood it is more of doing what is right. I have raised children and have Grandchildren now It was and is very important they know what part of riding I belong to and what parts I do not.
It is for those reasons I could not say that I share in a so called brotherhood that embraces all riders.

Smitty, I voted yes because I feel connected to the others out there who are getting by on 2 wheels. But after reading your comments and justifications I feel like I may have voted too soon. I understand your point of view support your ideas. There is indeed a wide variety of riders out there. Some of who I relate to (and thus voted "yes" for in this poll) and other who stand for something else than what I believe in.

I guess we can over-analyze anything, but still a valid point for discussion.

I voted "no".
To me, by default, most on HDT appear to be good, caring people. I will assume that they are honest and it translates to their daily lives. (People do act different behind a keyboard.) So, this poll is a bit skewed as we all care enough to participate on HDT and the poll.

If the outside world of motorcylists was populated solely by the folks here, I would come close to saying it was a brotherhood. So I guess I am sayin that HDT is more of a "brotherhood" the the entire outside world of motorcyclists, but I still wouldn't go that far.

I think I know what this poll is about, but for me "brotherhood" is a very high standard that I personally don't know. I think of it on a level that I hear our Veterans speak of, who have given all in very bad situations. I know nothing of this, but I try to understand the best I can. I think (from reading only) that the 1%ers strive for and achieve the loyalty of brotherhood. Although I think the difference is that the 1%ers actively choose to join this level of commitment, while Veterans may have joined the military, war is a very different crucible. And, maybe it happens, but I don't see the Marine Veterans telling the Air Force veterans to stay out of this part of town, because it is their turf.

I think it also matters where you live, as far as helping people. I am on the east coast, between Baltimore and DC. People, in my opinion, in this area are not anywhere near as friendly or helping, as those I met in Wickenburg and Prescott AZ.

I voted no. Yes, we share a common interest, and I would be more willing to help fellow bikers in need then cagers. However, in both instances to me, it's a friendship and just being a human being. I wave at fellow bikers for the same reasons, being friendly to those with the same ineterest and truly wishing them a safe ride. Like some of you said here, I'd put 'brotherhood' some where near 1%ers. I've chosen a life that I do not or can not share the same priorities as they do.

"Brotherhood" to an extend. If it is a brotherhood, it is made up of all walks of life. I would not eliminate any by appearance or reputation.

There is at the very least a common interest, not shared by the majority of the population.

Brotherhood by definition. It is easy when you refer to a group of people you know.

I would consider a group of 15 or 20 local people that I associate and ride with brothers.

Blind Brotherhood for the lack of a better word. A large group where you do not know everyone. An example would be the Marine Corp, former and active, I certainly consider that a brotherhood. I would not consider all people who ride motorcycles the same type of brotherhood.

I say yes, because as in all families there are those you love and those you wish they were not in your family. On the other hand these are people with who you have a strong bond. With relatives it's your lineage, with riders (at least for me) when the kickstands go up we are united in our love of the ride.

I would have to agree with most of the posts. It would be hard to call the members of this site a “Brotherhood” and they are what I consider to be the best that two wheels has to offer. However, being able to share a common interest draws people together, creates friendships, organize rides to help those in need, and the world is a better place because of this. There are certainly brotherhoods within the two wheel community, such as bikers who ride for Christ, and the PGR just to name a couple.
I would never call someone a brother that got their bike by selling drugs and killing for hire. I guess this is a NO

The posts seem to say NO but the voting says Yes. Interesting

I would stop and have stopped and help more than a few broke down on the side of the road. To my surprise this year it happened to be a member of a so called 1%er club. It would be clear to anyone that knows me that the only thing I share in common with that person is we breath air.
Doing so has nothing to with a brotherhood it is more of doing what is right. I have raised children and have Grandchildren now It was and is very important they know what part of riding I belong to and what parts I do not.
It is for those reasons I could not say that I share in a so called brotherhood that embraces all riders.
I too have to agree with Smitty.

Back