free website stats program Rear Brake Light Switch | Page 5 | Harley Davidson Forums

Rear Brake Light Switch

I found the same recall notice as well on the HD site. So I called the dealer to ask them about it. They are aware of it and waiting to see how the MoCo will handle it.

They have not received any guidane yet on how to address the issue and what will be the "fix".

I was told to call back in a couple weeks and should also expect a call from them once they get word on how to fix the problem.

Unfortunately this happens all the time. The biggest reason is parts are unable to be supplied for the demand to correct problem. Of course the world wide web does not help either. Thats usually the case the consumer finds out before dealer.

There also often a delay for recalls to get north of the border to Canada. I do not expect to hear about this officially until sometime after you folks in the US do. I just hope the original equipment holds untill the dealer is a ware and fixes it. From the sounds of this thread (and other forums) it is not an uncommon problem.

Once my dealer is aware and has the parts they are excellent at getting me in and fixing things. Customer service minded group - Plug for Privateers HD!!!

It's Campaign 0145 for this defect, it's not yet a recall issue.

(I think) I pasted a bitmap of the screen shot that showed this to be an active recall.

I searched the HD site and enterd my VIN and found a Recall Notice with instructions to contact the dealer ASAP for "appropriate service". I have not received a letter from the MoCo yet but my experience is that such things pop on the web sooner than I get notified.

Thank you Bravery for that info-it just shows how significant this forum is (read: priceless), I would have never thought to check to see if my problem (see below) was a recall

I found the same recall notice as well on the HD site. So I called the dealer to ask them about it. They are aware of it and waiting to see how the MoCo will handle it.

They have not received any guidane yet on how to address the issue and what will be the "fix".

I was told to call back in a couple weeks and should also expect a call from them once they get word on how to fix the problem.

How timely this string is for me, and how great is HDTimeline (best Harley Forum on the .net!)

The last couple of days I was getting my starting light (icon) coming on intermittently as I rode [only] home from work (i.e. wasn't happening on the way there?). We had a HOG meeting at Republic Harley-Davidson last night, so I called the service desk and asked if I could have them check it out.

Turns out I needed a new rear tire and brake pads (which I knew it was time). They checked the code and told me I needed a new rear brake switch. Since I was covered under the ESP, I paid the $50 deductible and was glad I had skated by with my brake light on all the time (how would I know?). They were running a special on tires (no labor charge) so I figured I was getting off easy, plus because I was there attending the nights HOG meeting they said they wouldn't charge me the normal 1/2 hour service charge for the brake pad (cost: $85).

In their defense their computers were all down last night - they had to make a physical imprint of my credit card on one of those old slide machines. So they weren't able to check to see if this switch was a recalled item (not quite sure if they would have anyway, but I'm sticking to that for now). I sure wish they would have been aware that this problem existed seeing as how many of these bikes they sell and service at this dealer.

I put my VIN number into the webste (listed below) and found out thanks to this string that my rear brake switch was under a recall.

Service Recalls for H-D Owners | Harley-Davidson USA

I just got off the phone with the service writer and he said he would talk to the service manager and arrange for a refund of my $50 deductible (we'll see....I want to believe they will). I will certainly put up a stink if they don't, but just to repeat, I sure wish they would have been better informed and let me know this info.

Anyway, knowledge is power, thanks y'all!

(I think) I pasted a bitmap of the screen shot that showed this to be an active recall.

I'm not sure of the difference between a defect and a recall but in either case it can't be good. Here's mine, posted as a recall.

There are one or more open recalls on your vehicle:

2011 TOURING Street Glide®
VIN: *****************
The following list contains the campaign number and a brief description:

Recall Notice: 0145: RCL:2009-2012 BRAKE SWITCH RCL

We strongly urge you to take your motorcycle to your dealer to have the appropriate service performed as soon as possible. Should you choose to ride your motorcycle prior to this service, we urge you to be aware of this condition. Some product campaigns may have expired and you may have to pay for the service. Please see your local Harley-Davidson dealer for further details.

I just called my shop in Las Vegas and setup an appointment for in the morning. Tech said the recall just came down to them today.

[begin QUOTE from above]...In their defense their computers were all down last night - they had to make a physical imprint of my credit card on one of those old slide machines. So they weren't able to check to see if this switch was a recalled item (not quite sure if they would have anyway, but I'm sticking to that for now). I sure wish they would have been aware that this problem existed seeing as how many of these bikes they sell and service at this dealer.

I put my VIN number into the webste (listed below) and found out thanks to this string that my rear brake switch was under a recall.

Service Recalls for H-D Owners | Harley-Davidson USA

I just got off the phone with the service writer and he said he would talk to the service manager and arrange for a refund of my $50 deductible (we'll see....I want to believe they will). I will certainly put up a stink if they don't, but just to repeat, I sure wish they would have been better informed and let me know this info.

Anyway, knowledge is power, thanks y'all![end QUOTE]

I just called my shop in Las Vegas and setup an appointment for in the morning. Tech said the recall just came down to them today.

UPDATE:

67wizard, you are correct the recall notice just went out to dealers Thursday night, my call to the service writer was returned and the service manager refunded my $50 deductible and gave me a $10 gift certificate for my trouble, plus thanked me in person for letting them know. They said they haven't had many issues with the rear brake switch which would have tipped them off to a potential problem. All the switches they have in stock are a new model number (indicating a change in design).

I just saw the news here this morning on a recall from harley for the brake switches. They claim it could affect braking on the 2009 up models.

Back