free website stats program Rear Brake Light Switch | Page 8 | Harley Davidson Forums

Rear Brake Light Switch

Read the post today and called HD. They said to bring it right down, which I did. From the time I read the post and had it fixed was about 1 hour total with a 15 min drive to dealer and 15 back home. Only took them about 10 minutes to do. Didn't even have time to check out he chrome.

can we say that now this awesome site is saving lives? (potentially)

Glen, glad you got yours fixed!

Had mine replaced today in about 45 minutes at my local dealer. That barely gave me time to check out their HD's and the Triumphs they just started to stock. As far as the brake switch is concerned I no longer run the risk of severe injury or death.

Consumer Reports wanted to find out if nitrogen is worth the price, so we purchased a Nitrogen Inflation System and checked out how well the inflation held up over a one year period. We evaluated pairs of 31 tire models of H- and V-speed rated, all-season tires used in our tread wear test from 2006. We filled one tire per model with air and the other with nitrogen. The test was quite simple: fill and set the inflation pressure at room temperature to 30 psi (pounds per square inch); set the tire outdoors for one year; and then recheck the inflation pressure at room temperature after a one year period.

The tires were filled and deflated three times with nitrogen to purge the air out of the tire cavity. We also used an oxygen analyzer to be sure we had 95-percent nitrogen purity in the tire--the claimed purity limit of our nitrogen system, which generates nitrogen gas from ambient air.

We conducted a year long test of the effects of nitrogen in tires and the results show nitrogen does reduce pressure loss over time, but the reduction is only a 1.3 psi difference from air-filled tires. The average loss of air-filled tires was just 3.5 psi from the initial 30 pressure setting. Nitrogen-filled tires lost an average of 2.2 psi from the initial 30 psi setting. More important, all tires lost pressure regardless of the inflation medium, so consumers should check their tires' air pressure routinely. If you decide to have your tires filled with nitrogen, be sure to have them refilled with nitrogen routlinely. Like air, nitrogen filled tire pressure will drop as seasonal temperatures fall. No evaluation was done to assess the aging claim.

Overall, consumers can use nitrogen and might enjoy the slight improvement in air retention provided, but it's not a substitute for regular inflation checks.

Nitrogen in tires from Consumer Reports

Got my rear brake switch done this am. Dealer told me to bring it in w/ no appointment. Got there, they took it right in, 45 minutes later, I was good to go. Nice to have the rear brake light working again. And the brake feel is better than before!

Happy Thanksgiving everyone. ride safe and have fun out there.

not absolutely positive but it sounds like this is the issue HD just put out a recall for. If I remember correctly the brake switch was mounted to close to the exhaust the heat causes a failure in the switch

I received a letter saying that Harley has a recall on like 300,000 touring models. I want to say it was for 09 nand newer but I could be wrong there. Anyway, there is a recall on many of these. fyi.

After my brake switch recall, i just noticed some fluid on my right inside lower, some on the from heat shield and some on my brake pedal. Well, looked into it further and the dealer pinched the master cylinder gasket so as I aplied pressure, it must have been squirting out a little bit. Took the top off the master cylinder, adjusted the gasket and re-installed. Nice ride this AM and no leaks :) One more reason to check over a "quick" dealer fix.

Back