free website stats program Rear Brake Light Switch | Page 7 | Harley Davidson Forums

Rear Brake Light Switch

It doesn't work as good as they say. Pressure still changed in tires with heat and I lost tire pressure just as fast as with plain air. I even used used "Liquid Air" 99.999% nitrogen. Not the home made stuff the dealer/tire stores use.
But if it's free, what the heck.
Wasn't free. $10/tire

Really now, what are the chances that last year....nerly a year before the recall.....they just happened to have a new and improved brake switch? I'm calling foul and driving into the dealer next chance I get.

Ask you dealer this. If they had the new switch a year ago, how come 2012's are being recalled also.
I had a new one put on Tues. and they just got their first batch in last Sat.

Folks, I started this string last year when my brake switch went out - very noticably with a huge plume of smoke. Now I see the recall come out on the bike. Looked up my VIN and sure enough my bike is on the recall. Pulled out the receipt from when my dealer repaired it last time (the covered the cose) and called the shop to ask if I need to bring it in. The guy on the phone said no because the replaced it with the new part.

Really now, what are the chances that last year....nerly a year before the recall.....they just happened to have a new and improved brake switch? I'm calling foul and driving into the dealer next chance I get.

New switch has beveled edges. Look here and see if your switch has the older style sharp edges or beveled.

http://msocko.servebbs.com/webpicts/M1310.PDF

It doesn't work as good as they say. Pressure still changed in tires with heat and I lost tire pressure just as fast as with plain air. I even used used "Liquid Air" 99.999% nitrogen. Not the home made stuff the dealer/tire stores use.
But if it's free, what the heck.

Hoop. Are you sure you weren't using 0.001 dry air which is still air with O2 CO2 N2 Ar2 but very little H2O. Still air not pure nitrogen? The pure N2 does work.
WAP.gif

Thanks Grillfish. Stopped by and talked to the Service Manager today....when I told him what the person told me on the phone he said "Not sure what he was talking about" but there definitely is a new switch. They have received thirty new switches and he scheduled me for service.

Still air not pure nitrogen? The pure N2 does work.

Give it a try and see what happens, but yes I am sure it was nitrogen. I read so much about some people claiming it works, others saying it does not,, so it became one of those projects I had to perform just to see what the results would be with my own eyes. I made sure I purged the tires several times. What I found was that tire pressure increase from tire heat was about 1/2 than it was with ordinary air. Instead of a 4 psi gain, it was 2 psi. Over the course of a month, I lost about the same amount of psi in the tires. And since I wore out the tires within 2 years anyway, I could not see the benefit of not having dry rotting. For just the 2 psi decrease in tire pressure, it was not worth the hassle for me.

Now this was using tubeless Metzlers so maybe the results could be different using other brands or rubber compounds. (?)

I agree with Hoop. The nitrogen falls into the same category as the fuel magnets that are used to align the molecules in the fuel for better performance and many other such products. The only increase using products like this is in the wallet of the seller.

I agree with Hoop. The nitrogen falls into the same category as the fuel magnets that are used to align the molecules in the fuel for better performance and many other such products. The only increase using products like this is in the wallet of the seller.
It was originally spec'd out by NASCAR and they are still using it.

It was originally spec'd out by NASCAR and they are still using it.

Understood but they change tires many times during the race too.:s Just the stability of the tire pressure under high heat is all they are looking for because it is critical for them at the speeds they travel.
Higher pressures in some tires will give a taller standing height and will effectively change speeds as well much like a gearing change.

Look for a video of how a dragster tire changes with increases in speed to understand it better.

Back