free website stats program Rear Brake Light Switch | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

Rear Brake Light Switch

I used an Accel switch along with a Russell Bango bolt adapter that has a port for a switch. After seeing the inside of the switch, I wanted to get away from the 2 in 1 combination switch Harley uses because I did not want to go through this again in another year or until HD gets it right. Both parts I found in a J& P catalog. The Accel Switch was part #240-693 & the Russell adapter was #240-723. The fit was perfect and no modification to the electrical wires was needed. It was plug and Play. I will now see what the service life on this new switch is compared to the HD.

If you want to test your current switch, place an ohm meter across it and put your meter in the 20 meg/ohm scale. The scale MUST be in the highest range. If you read anything other than infinity (while having NO foot pressure on switch), your switch contacts have brake fluid on them and it is only a matter of time. Mine read 2 meg ohms when OFF which is a dead give-away something is wrong inside the switch. In actual use, the switch worked correctly "most" of the time,,but as you can see it was toast inside.
Hey Hoop I have been reading your post on the brake light switch replacements. Quite informative. It appears that my 2009 Street Bob is developing same issue seems to still work fine but it is now taking twice the amount of pedal travel to get the rear stop lamp to come on. Having a look at the brake fluid it has become quite cloudy on the rear whereas on the front it is still clear. So I figured while I was at it might as well replace the switch. Question What year and model Dyna? Do you have and how is this replacement working out for you. I checked with j and P cycle they do not list a direct replacement for 72026-08. However it looks as if you are spot on with your replacements. Just checking to see how it worked out. Any other info I should know will be appreciated. Thanks

and how is this replacement working out for you.

It is actually working out very well. No leaks no issues. Didn't have to cut any wires or modify anything. Pedal pressure required to turn on the brake light is what I would expect. My bike is a 2009 FXDL with a factory switch that is Part# 72026-08.

So far so good, but the day is not over. :)

My 05 Softail has the "too much pressure" to light the lamp problem as well. I bought a new switch before I read this thread (shucks). It is a different style than the oem switch. Perhaps one of HD's attempts to fix. I'll see how long it lasts.

My 05 Softail has the "too much pressure" to light the lamp problem as well. I bought a new switch before I read this thread (shucks). It is a different style than the oem switch. Perhaps one of HD's attempts to fix. I'll see how long it lasts.

A "Bump to the Top" on this thread after 6 months. The Accel switch is still working solid for me with no regrets.

Not sure about some of the newer bikes but I have bought switches from different auto part stores for pre 2000 and my 04 night train while on a ride in the middle of no where.

HD is issuing a recall on this critical safety problem! Currently the recall includes 09 up but MUST include 07 and up.
The problem is more than losing your brake lights, leaving some on, burning bulbs and switches, it also has been reported that some riders have experienced fluid leak from the switch. It is expected the trouble is due to exposure to high heat from the exhaust. Possibly a heat shield will be included in the repair.
Please spread the word! Have fellow riders contact HD and get ALL the effected bikes identified.

The switch on my 09 UC failed at 29,000, I was exiting I-75 and tapped the rear brake to kill the cruise, Surprise! I don't like surprises at 70, I tapped the front brake and exited. My dealer ordered one from another dealer to speed up the repair, but I paid for it. My problem with HD is when they know there is an issue with a part, like the front tire on this bike, and ignore it unless you complain. My 05 Deuce had bad valve seals and a bad check valve in the FI system, again I had to complain and they were repaired but the mechanic said they were common problems the company knew about.

I searched the HD site and enterd my VIN and found a Recall Notice with instructions to contact the dealer ASAP for "appropriate service". I have not received a letter from the MoCo yet but my experience is that such things pop on the web sooner than I get notified.

I found the same recall notice as well on the HD site. So I called the dealer to ask them about it. They are aware of it and waiting to see how the MoCo will handle it.

They have not received any guidane yet on how to address the issue and what will be the "fix".

I was told to call back in a couple weeks and should also expect a call from them once they get word on how to fix the problem.

Back