free website stats program Opinions on the HD Ultra Classic | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Opinions on the HD Ultra Classic

Like I said, love mine, and it turned out pretty good I think. Here is a picture.

Attachments

• Nov2009 014.jpg
    Nov2009 014.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 40
First off thank you for serving RobDog. Quite the wife that says buy any HD you'd like! For 2 up traveling and solo riding you'll be very happy with an Ultra Classic. Though I own a FLHR Road King and have no plans to trade up, sometimes I wish I had a fairing and music. Buy what you feel comfortable with and don't look back!

I ordered/bought my HD October 2007 in Kuwait through Military Car Sales otherwise known as Overseas Military Car Sales. Specifically told them what I wanted, ordered it then picked it up at my hometown HD dealer when I came home. Saved a few bucks also. My dealer said they could not of bettered the deal.

Military Car Sales does have a "cheat sheet" of bikes already ready to sell and pick up. There used to be sales people in the Green Zone where I think your currently at. If not go to there website or wait until your in transit in Kuwait at Army LSA. They will do you right and it's a quick process. And please compare prices since in 2007 dealers were not as flexible on making a sale as they are now with the economy. Good luck and get back safe.

Got an 09 Ultra with ABS braking. Great bike. My wife and I ride two up all the time. She was scared of bikes until I got this one. She is so comfortable on the back, she actually dozes off some times. Great road machine. Wouldn't have any other. Go for it.

the ultra classic is hands down the best bike I have ever owned. it has every thing a rider could want. full-dressed for long trips, can be made to look like a street glide with a few dollars, and plenty of power for all roads and elevations.

I bought a 06 UC in June, and it is the best blke I have ever owned.(SE engine may have something to do with it) You will enjoy the ride as never before.

RobDog,
:small3d022:First and foremost, Thanks for your service! :small3d022: Semper FI.:mgun
Personally, I like the Ultra better, only because of looks, I have not ridden a rode glide so I don't know how they ride. :riderBut If you want an Ultra, or a Road Glide for that matter, I'd follow Smitty and other's advice on the military exchange program. I looked into the exchange purchase program they are talking about a few years ago when I was deployed, but didn't pull the trigger (I probably should have:(). If your not sure, then, well I would say wait til ya get home, and test ride or even rent different models for a few days and see which one you and your wife like the best (nobody's happy if momma ain't happy!:s). That's my pennies worth. Stay safe, and see ya back here in Texas soon!

I rode a Dyna before my UC, so I can't really draw a comparison there.
Mine is a 2007. I did rent a 2009 out in San Diego and road for 3 days through Mission Gorge, Shelter Valley (Sunrise Hwy, Ocotillo, Jullian, Decanso etc). It was a good comparison of the 2007 vs. the 2009 in handling since the riding conditions spanned just about everthing.
The adjustable rear suspension (of the ultras/touring models) really makes a handling differences as the load changes (solo, passanger, gear etc). I really like that feature and I think it is important for handling and safety, whatever the model you choose. Having some adjustment ability, especially with touring and varying load weights vs. conditions is a must in my book. The ultra does well here.
I don't have ABS on my 2007, but the 2009 rental did. I tested the ABS on some straights and some turns. I would highly recommed that feature.
The gearing in the tranmission changed as well in comparison. I think the 6th gear isn't so high to that you can use it more effectively under 70mph.
The rental also had the feature where you could shut off the rear cylinder by twisting the throttle backwards. While I did feel a difference sitting a lights, I am on the fence on this feature. It is nice but it seems to me it is another gizmo that could have issues.

I have never used the CB or the intercom, but those features came with my bike (bought it used).

As a highway ride it is very comfortable, although I think the a backrest should be standard. My wife is 126lbs/5'6" and she has no problems with the comfort or fit as a passanger in the stock configuration of the foot pegs/seat. Nor did my father 170/5'9" for a recent 7 hour trip in the remnants of a hurricane. Here I would second the comments that a the weight of the UC really reduces fatigue as you are less impacted by wind blast form trucks and the weather. You can relax a bit more. Again, if you want to rack up the miles, the UC really reduces fatigue, letting you travel farther, more alert.

My rear wheel compensator (now standard) is on order, but that big improvement is now standard. From this board, the greatest improvement over the stock set up was adding the TFI unit to simply richen up the fuel. I assume that a unit like that is made for the new models and I would consider it. So, out of the box, I would have a stock model Ultra Classic with a back rest and ABS. Add a "fueler" to get out of EPA lean and you will be very happy if you plan to put on mile after mile after mile....solo, two up or a full load.

I have been very, very happy with my ultra. I don't think you will be unhappy cruising in comfort!

(Thank you for your service! Glad you are safe!)

RobDog, first off, let me add my thanks for your service, Sir.

As you can see, we Ultra owners are pretty much unanimous in our opinions. Prior to the Ultra, I rode an '84 FXR which, while fast and handled superbly, does not match the comfort of the Ultra. One thing I will suggest to you is that if you are a large person in stature, you may find the Road King more comfortable. I have a lot of friends who are 6'3" or taller and say that the RK is more suited to their size and who also claim that the RK is designed with the larger rider in mind. Test ride everything you can (if possible) before you make a final decision. I wish you good luck. Welcome home and ride safe.

I would like to thank you all for the feedback and honesty about the bike. I can purchase the Ultra Classic through the AAFES Program in Baghdad and save a few grand on the purchase. ABS is definitely in my future with this bike.

When I go home in January for R&R, I will be test riding the bike. When I return, I will be purchasing it here. Again, thanks for all your information.

RobDog

This is the program you want to take a good look at. Last time I checked they were also including the extend factory warranty at no charge.
One warning even if they do not add sales tax you will pay it in your state when you order plates.
The program you come under while still deployed is different than the state side program. IF YOU ARE SURE this is what you want to do and price is right make the deal there.
One more this program is not the same as if you go to a dealer for the military sales program, they will not have as good a deal for you. They way these are setup they are limited on what they can do.
I bought my 2009 Ultra through Overseas Military Sales. There are two offices in Baghdad. They will look up the bike you want in their inventory, and reserve it for you with a $500 deposit. This deposit is totally refundable. You elect where and when you would like to pick up your bike. The bikes are shipped directly to the dealership you choose from the Harley factory...these are NOT bikes already in stock at a Harley dealership. Once you order, your file is handed off to the folks in New York. You will deal with one representative after that. After you pay/finance, the bike is shipped. They will send you an invoice ahead of time with detailed info on the bike and the TOTAL cost. If you want, you can take that invoice and see if any local dealers will match or beat the AAFES price. If so, you may cancel your order and receive your 500 dollars back from AAFES anytime prior to taking delivery of the bike. When you pick up your bike at the dealership, you owe nothing...no set up, freight... nothing. I was surprised at how ignorant the average Harley salesperson was regarding this program. They tried to tell me that Harley would send me a bike I didn't order, wrong color, etc. This is (edit) You will have the VIN and the manufacture date from Harley before they ship your bike. I beat the local dealership prices by about $2K, but this was last year. Times are leaner now for the dealers, so they may be more receptive to deal. I paid roughly 22K for a black, 2009 EG Ultra with ABS, security, 5 year extended warranty, and 5 year tire and wheel plan. This is a heck of a machine, and you will not regret your choice, whether riding solo or two-up. Good luck, and get your (edit) back here ASAP. A06

Last edited by a moderator:
Back