free website stats program Opinions on the HD Ultra Classic | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Opinions on the HD Ultra Classic

To Rob and all of our Military guys and gals, thanks for all you do. Now as far as the bike, I love my Ultra Classic, but I have heard that for long, long distance riding the Road Glide might be a little better. My buddy went from a Ultra Classic to a RK which he was on the fence about, to his 07 RG, which he absolutely loves. Just depends on whether you can deal with a front fairing that does not move with the front end, but both are excellent choices. If you do not need to cb, rear speakers or lower fairings, I would consider the RG. Good luck.

I'm with Drumrguy. I own an 09 Road Glide and have ridden a friends 08 UC in all kinds of weather. The handling of the Road Glide is superior and it only takes a few minutes to get used to the non-moving fairing.

The Road Glide is a cleaner looking bike without all the lights and reflectors. However, it also doesn't come with the cb, rear speakers, tour pak, and lower fairings. You can add those things to the Road Glide but if you really want all of them, then go with the UC. Both are good long range touring bikes.

I have 09 u/c - after renting bike in vegas & doing death valley in 06 - the classic went to the top of the list - other than engine noises - the only complant I have is I forget to watch the fuel gauge , this bike has awesome range! the wife just says after a long day of riding her legs fall asleep, she`s 5.5 , I`m 5.9 if the bike seems tall buy boots with higher heel. worked for me

I have only rode a RG for a few miles. There are lots of people that have went from a Ultra to a RG that say the RG ride is superior. Hard to argue when so many riders say it, but in my short experience riding on one, it was not noticeably better. That said, there is some value to be put on personal preference in looks. IMO the Ultra looks better. The ride of the RG, even if slightly superior does not counter enough to make me look that way. This is just a personal opinion, many have the opposite opinon and nobody's opinion is wrong. I have a great friend that thinks the RG is much better looking and riding. Bottom line both are fine bikes. I would ride them both and make a decision based on that experience. Win win deal. I am not going to ride a RG for fear of changing! LOL!:p

HD has a military purchase program that has the bike waiting for you. Many dealers participate and I hear the pricing is good. Might want to check that out.

First off, thx for serving and return home safely! As for the ultra, go for it as you will not be dissapointed. I has all the creature comforts you could ever need and for a big boy they really handle well. I was really surprised at the ease of operation on these things. If mama is going to be riding with you and she wants one then you have no choice!

I have only rode a RG for a few miles. There are lots of people that have went from a Ultra to a RG that say the RG ride is superior. Hard to argue when so many riders say it, but in my short experience riding on one, it was not noticeably better. That said, there is some value to be put on personal preference in looks. IMO the Ultra looks better. The ride of the RG, even if slightly superior does not counter enough to make me look that way. This is just a personal opinion, many have the opposite opinon and nobody's opinion is wrong. I have a great friend that thinks the RG is much better looking and riding. Bottom line both are fine bikes. I would ride them both and make a decision based on that experience. Win win deal. I am not going to ride a RG for fear of changing! LOL!:p

You are absolutely right about the importance of appearance. I didn't have any reservations about the two-headlight fixed fairing look on the Road Glide because I came from the Goldwing world. However, some of my friends absolutely hate the look of the Road Glide, especially the twin headlights. I always get a kick out of Harley riders going the other way on the road and trying to wave to me at the last possible moment because they thought they were approaching a twin-headlight Goldwing.

I actually got really interested in Harleys after seeing the copper and black anniversary edition of the UC at my local dealer. I almost bought it but I didn't like all the reflectors and lights on the fenders. I bought the Road Glide because of the cleaner lines. However, as you said, either bike is great and it is a win-win situation.

Pull the trigger on the Ultra. You will not regret it. Some mods to think of in the short term are stage one kit and a fully adjustable riders backrest. I am a geezer and I can ride forever and don't get sore or tired. Great for 2 up. As walleye mentioned the passenger footboards can be a problem if you're short so I switched mine for SG pegs. Cured the problem!

Yes, I am over here training the Iraqi Government on how to survive after the removal of Saddam. Everyday is a challenge, but progress is being made. But, I will be glad to get back to Texas and my family.

Thank you for your comments on the detach it for the trunk. That would be useful when crusiing around town. The site has given me very useful information and it was recommended by my friend who is here with me.

I'll be returning from Baghdad very soon and my first stop will be the local HD dealership. I am looking for a new touring bike for myself and my wife to hit the road and enjoy retirement. For all you owners of the HD Ultra Classic, let me know what you think of the bike - good and bad - so I can make an informed decision.

I've done my research on the internet, but need some personal opinions. Appreciate it.

RobDog

Glad to hear your getting out of Baghdad. When my son was in the Navy he saved a lot of money buying his Dodge Truck thru the military. I believe he went thru the on base store BX/PX or something like that. He took delivery state side. You might want to check it out before you come back. Bill

Back