Votes: 18 1.6%
  • Hastings Filter

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mobil Filter

Votes: 13 1.2%
  • OTHER (Please specify)

Votes: 46 4.2%

• Total voters
I disagree with this train of thought ,when we were racing we would put a magnet in the base of the oil pan to pick up debree from extreme abuse.I should say now that it was contact cemented in. The guys that bought into placing the magnet on the filter would end up clogging their filters and losing oil pressure. IMO you don't need either on a street vehicle,no matter your riding style. (except Hobbit):D
Another test to go to mythbusters :s

BTW I don't subscribe to the magnet theory. Over doing the oil/filter changes is my only vice in this area.

There are not alot of company's that make filters
2 or 3 maybe I have been out of the parts job for a couple of years so I forget. but one of the biggest manufacturers of filters is Donaldson
but one thing is sure who ever makes the filter it is made to the standards of the company that is paying them . So let just say Donaldson is making the HD filters they are not the same as Donaldson filters. They are made to HD specs.
And Donaldson may make K&N and others also but to K&N's and the others specs .

I used a Fram oil filter once and it does not seem to build oil pressure as fast , I will keep using HD filters!

Whit

Can't see the benefit. 5 microns is 5 microns is 5 microns!!! Doesn't matter if it is a 10.00 filter or a 270.00 filter.
You know that regular maintenance with quality filters and fluids is all that is needed.
Additionally, when I look at that filter, and see all of the extra parts it contains, along with the fact that the "can" stays on the engine....I see more opportunity to introduce foreign material into the engine.
Plain and simple...I don't like it.

Just the other day, outside the HD dealer, a very dressed up 2008 White Ultra was parked outside, and I noticed an unusual aluminum finned billet oil filter manufactured by K&P Engineering, along with the oil cooler below similar to the one Bud White just installed on his ride. So I asked the rider about it.

Apparently it uses a "reuseable stainless steel micronic" filter element. While I am not touting it's virtues, I am curious if there are any users of this filter...I have attached a motocycle news "clip" for informational purposes for those interested:

K&P Engineering's Reusable Oil Filter

Just a little sauce to stir up our poll still more... :newsmile091:

Back