Votes: 18 1.6%
  • Hastings Filter

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mobil Filter

Votes: 13 1.2%
  • OTHER (Please specify)

Votes: 46 4.2%

• Total voters
Thanks but at their rated 35 microns even with the hype they have printed, I'll stick with the 5 micron from HD.

I like the wording in this part...

Before you start with the, “my filter is rated at 5 microns and it filters way better,” you need to understand just how the micron rating applies to oil filters. According to K&P Engineering, paper filters are rated on averages, percentages and multiple passes, so a 10-micron-rated paper filter may be letting particles 50 microns and larger through. The medical grade stainless steel cloth they use in their filters is consistent across the entire surface and is rated at 35 microns, meaning nothing larger than 35 microns should pass through the material.

As far as I'm concerned, all the same reasons apply to this filter that apply to the one that Smitty asked about in an earlier post.
In all actuality, this filter is even worse because, not only do you have a can and pieces which are subject to collecting foreign particles while open, you also subject your engine to the introduction of debris with a filter that you must clean by hand!!!
Do you really think you can get it as clean and sanitary as is the media in a factory cartridge filter?

An engineer for the heavy equipment manufacturer for whom I worked for over 30 years once told me this....
It is to our benefit as a manufacturer, as well as our customers benefit, to equip our engines and machinery with the best, most efficient filtration systems that we can. This practice insures that we will limit our warranty problems and maximize longevity and performance for our customers.
I would assume that other manufacturers, such as Harley Davidson, would operate under these same constraints.

Quite honestly I was skeptical, but since our poll was about oil filters, if there were users of "other" aftermarket types, I just threw it out there.

Anyone remember the toilet roll paper filter for external cannister type used in old Chevy' at a time when bypass filtering element was used -- paper for paper back in the 50's before the new full flow "spin-on's" in the 50's...I'm sure RichardS remembers...:14:

LOL!! Funny you should mention that. We were just talking about those a couple of days ago over morning coffee. :coffee
They were called "Frantz" filters (brand name) and were a big seller from JC Whitney.
With all the toilet paper being biodegradable, I don't think they'd work too well today! :34:

glider these polls are pretty kool
i voted that i use k&n fliters
well i read everyones posts......some of them two times....went out to change my oil yesterday morning after i was done with my oil change......the K&N filter i had was still sitting on the shelf.....my bike now has a HD filter back on it

Another soul saved. Just look at the specs for the different filters and not how pretty it looks.:s

Back