free website stats program Non Drinker? Why.. | Page 12 | Harley Davidson Forums

Non Drinker? Why..

I'm 60yrs old, my brother is still in his 50's. My brother got his 4th DUI back in 1995 and right about the same time Florida passed a law that with 4 DUIs they take your driver's license away for life. He had already done some prison time for DUI already. My brother quit drinking then and has not touched a drop since. He says his whole life was ruined from Alcohol. He has spent a total of 11 of the last 17yrs in prison though for driving without a license. They won't give him a work permit so he continually gets busted and they send him back to prison. His life is pretty much over as far as anything normal. He was even in prison when our Mom died but they did let me go get him out for the day to attend Mom's funeral, I got him back by 4pm that day. I guess the only postive thing (luckily) of his past is that he never hurt anyone else (in an accident).

Alcohol affects some people different than others, years ago I drank with my brother and I began to notice two things, one he drinks much more and faster than I do, and two he becomes someone I did not know when he's drunk. I have many times thought is would be impossible for me to become an alcoholic since if I drink much more than a six pack in one day I'm gonna get sick and won't want any for a week. I've only been stone drunk one time in my life (when I was 19yrs old) and I got so sick I said never again would I drink like that. I still drink a couple every now and again and if I'm at home barbequing I will drink maybe 4 or 5 lite beers over the whole day.

My wife's uncle is a Baptist preacher and he tells me I should give up even casual drinking since it has too many negative aspects. I have athritis bad in my back from a previous auto accident and the alcohol helps relax the muscle pain. If I take too many ibuprophen it causes inflamation in my intestines. I did tell her uncle though if I could take all the ibuprophen I wanted with no side effects I would give up what alcohol I do drink in a heart beat since I feel so much better on ibuprophen.

That's my story on alcohol. It can be a very bad thing. However studies (by law firms in Florida) show that texting behind the wheel kills more people than drunk drivers. Both are a real problem.

RUB...Are you seeing a doctor to see if thair is something you can do to help your back..If you drink sometimes to help your back sir..If it were me I bet the doc could give you something to help..I only say this because I have been going to the doc myself..Good luck

I only have a beer or a captain once in a long while. I dont drink and drive especially on the bike my job mandates i keep my cdl licence and im on call 24/7 from nov-apr so zero tollerance for any alcahol i miss havin a beer sometimes but ive seen friends marriages tank and friends/ relatives get dui's all from enjoying a few to many. Me and the wife are ok without.

RUB...Are you seeing a doctor to see if thair is something you can do to help your back..If you drink sometimes to help your back sir..If it were me I bet the doc could give you something to help..I only say this because I have been going to the doc myself..Good luck

Yea I have tried (been prescribed) different medicines (Naproxen, Ibuprophen etc) but all the NSIDs cause the same reaction. I can take them for a day maybe two without too bad a reaction, but cannot take them continually. Just one of those things.

My neck was broken in an auto accident in 1996 (guy ran a red lite and Tboned me on the driver's side). It injured my back, then it healed and with therapy I got almost normal again. But as I have gotten older, the arthritis has settled in on the injuries. I get fairly good results from regular exercise, it keeps blood flowing in the area and seems to help the stiffness. I will sometimes exercise before I ride. Thanks for your concern though.

Yea I have tried (been prescribed) different medicines (Naproxen, Ibuprophen etc) but all the NSIDs cause the same reaction. I can take them for a day maybe two without too bad a reaction, but cannot take them continually. Just one of those things.

My neck was broken in an auto accident in 1996 (guy ran a red lite and Tboned me on the driver's side). It injured my back, then it healed and with therapy I got almost normal again. But as I have gotten older, the arthritis has settled in on the injuries. I get fairly good results from regular exercise, it keeps blood flowing in the area and seems to help the stiffness. I will sometimes exercise before I ride. Thanks for your concern though.

OUCH...Glad your still here and wasnt on your bike..:newsmile071:

Ouch, I can relate but watch out you dont burn a hole in your stomach,

Haven't had a drink since 98, alcohol was a big part of a divorce and had to raise two young kids by myself so didn't think that the drinking would assist with raising the kids.

Haven't had a drink since 98, alcohol was a big part of a divorce and had to raise two young kids by myself so didn't think that the drinking would assist with raising the kids.

Good going with the kids and stoping drinking..:bigsmiley23:

Back