free website stats program New Rider at 49 - Advice? | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

New Rider at 49 - Advice?

I think if you are going to start with a Sporty, at least get a 1200. The 883 will be fine around town, but quite limited out on the road. A 1200 should do just fine in both places and there is minimal handling difference between that and the 883.

As for me, I recommend getting the motorcycle you are shooting for, right up front. Just take it easy on riding it, until you build up confidence, which will come fairly quickly. Ride solo on sparsely populated roads, with few stops, to start, then work your way up to more challenging conditions, and two-up riding.

You will find that becoming acclimated to a smaller ride will present more stuff to re-learn than stuff that translates to the bigger ride. That is, once you have motorcycle riding, in general, under your belt.

In my case, I went from a '73 Sporty (20+ years) to an '03 Road King. The difference in handling is significant, particularly in coming to full stops. In my case, the situation was complicated by the fact that the foot controls were on opposite sides, from one scoot to the other. It took a bit to learn not to shift with the brake and stop with the shifter. I had to concentrate, and, even now, after 1-1/2 years, I still have brief, but rare, hints of the familiarization with the other scoot.

Bottom line; Get what you want, and learn to ride that.

Enjoy,
Rich P

I think if you are going to start with a Sporty, at least get a 1200. The 883 will be fine around town, but quite limited out on the road. A 1200 should do just fine in both places and there is minimal handling difference between that and the 883.

As for me, I recommend getting the motorcycle you are shooting for, right up front. Just take it easy on riding it, until you build up confidence, which will come fairly quickly. Ride solo on sparsely populated roads, with few stops, to start, then work your way up to more challenging conditions, and two-up riding.

You will find that becoming acclimated to a smaller ride will present more stuff to re-learn than stuff that translates to the bigger ride. That is, once you have motorcycle riding, in general, under your belt.

In my case, I went from a '73 Sporty (20+ years) to an '03 Road King. The difference in handling is significant, particularly in coming to full stops. In my case, the situation was complicated by the fact that the foot controls were on opposite sides, from one scoot to the other. It took a bit to learn not to shift with the brake and stop with the shifter. I had to concentrate, and, even now, after 1-1/2 years, I still have brief, but rare, hints of the familiarization with the other scoot.

Bottom line; Get what you want, and learn to ride that.

Enjoy,
Rich P
I agree with you RibEye. That is what I did and it worked for me. I wanted a bigger bike than my 650 Kawasaki and I wanted a Touring bike so I bought the Ultra. I have to tell you that I was really intimidated to take it on that busy highway where I purchased it, and then have to ride it home. I never even test rode it before I bought it!!:( I just knew that it was the bike for me.:) So, before heading onto that busy highway for the ride home, I rode it around the dealership parking lot so that I could at least get a feel for it. Now I love the bike and am really happy that I bought it at first sight. All of the controls and handling are now second nature to me.

OK, everyone and their brother has put their 2 cents in so I guess I will to. You'll surely "know it" when you sit on it! I really didn't want a Nightster 'cause I thought they were for the 20 yr old "kids" and since I was 55 really didn't think that was for me. Then I read not to think that way, buy what you want.... so I sat on a Nightster and that was it. Since I'm a smaller guy I find it fits me well, and I'm not looking to get anything bigger. (and yes, the 1200 will definately get you down the road!)

"I can't afford my dream bike, a Harley Softail Deluxe, so I am considering a 883 Super Low. At this point, I would hope that I can get a year out of the bike and then get a decent trade in value after a year. Or would it make more sense to get an older Softail now?"

If you get an older bike, you might find yourself dealing with mechanical issues when you really need to focus on riding skills. I recommend getting a new bike and take your time customizing it. The Deluxe has 2 times the power at twice the price of the Super Low, but with time you can upgrade the Super Low. You can boost your horse power by changing the pipes, & air flow. You can add auxiliary lights and tires with white sidewalls for that Deluxe look. Most important is that you like the feel of whatever you ride. Good Luck!

OK, everyone and their brother has put their 2 cents in so I guess I will to. You'll surely "know it" when you sit on it! I really didn't want a Nightster 'cause I thought they were for the 20 yr old "kids" and since I was 55 really didn't think that was for me. Then I read not to think that way, buy what you want.... so I sat on a Nightster and that was it. Since I'm a smaller guy I find it fits me well, and I'm not looking to get anything bigger. (and yes, the 1200 will definately get you down the road!)
I think the main thing here is that once you've made your purchase be absolutely content with it. Don't have any regrets that you should have bought another model. Even if what you want is more than you had to spend, then wait until you can get the bike that is going to fill all of your expectations without any regrets.

As someone who started on a sporty and moved up in less than two months, I would advise against an 883. If you know you are going to end up on a big twin, I wouldn't even get a 1200. Look for a used softail, you will be glad you did and it will save you $$ in the long run.

Shakey

I think the main thing here is that once you've made your purchase be absolutely content with it. Don't have any regrets that you should have bought another model. Even if what you want is more than you had to spend, then wait until you can get the bike that is going to fill all of your expectations without any regrets.

I feel this is the smart thing to do also:)

Are you considering a new 883 Low???? If that is the direction your are headed then as other have recommended a used Softail or a Dyna model will get you to the next level. This way your thrill to ride will not be compromised by purchasing the 883. What might have changed your mind since March post of looking for a used Softail????

Just took a HD Rider's Edge course and feel even better than going into the class about moving forward with taking on riding, albeit late in life. I have heard conflicting comments around starter bikes. I want to keep up and add to the skills I just learned, so I want to get a bike sooner than later. I can't afford my dream bike, a Harley Softail Deluxe, so I am considering a 883 Super Low. At this point, I would hope that I can get a year out of the bike and then get a decent trade in value after a year. Or would it make more sense to get an older Softail now? I know there are a lot of factors and that I need to confirm any fit but just wanted to get some general direction.

The trade IF off a NEW 883 Low Is going to be LOW ("used bike" trade or sell much better for you). and If you were to buy the USED 883 Low,,,, Money ahead at trade Time in OR Sell Time and getting the Riding Time you wanted to sharpen you New skills,,,, spent on IT OR,,,,,,

the bike you Want (only a used softail delux) Maybe even Holding off longer as you Might just like the used VALUE more than the New Value.....

Most of the 5 pages here say about the same thing.. It is Your decision...

I highlighted the main concerns you first came here with and wanted to know about...

My Question to you is ;

Where Do You Stand Now??? ,,, FROM the original post to Now???

Lot of time and effort from many,,,so how about sharing your Reply..

Thanks

signed....BUBBIE

Back