free website stats program New Rider at 49 - Advice? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

New Rider at 49 - Advice?

I do like riding my sportster and my softail both are completely different bikes i do not like the dyna as much but the wife loves it HD has a number of different models you need to try them to see which work best for you

Brian

Ismael got it on the button,theres one out there with your name on it,and you'll know as soon as sit on it,it was built for YOU!! like already said,take your time,try lots out,and then the one for you will be an obvious call.
Welcome to the best forum on the net,Best of luck with your search,and ride safe.

Welcome!
I don't think there is a "wrong" answer here. If I told you to "make sure you find one that fits you", I would know what "fit" means to me, but you may not. Some things you may understand right away, like your feet many not touch the ground. Other things you only learn after riding a certain model for quite a while. Then there are variables like: do you think you are going to do long tours or short trips?
Also, if you are new to riding, there is a certain amount of fatigue you will probably get as you get used to a new mode of travel. This may or may not be related to the model of HD.
So, even if you try to get the "best for you" you may evolve into another model. But, the bottom line is that you are have a really fun time learning what you like!

For me, if you think you would like to potentially take some longer trips, some models offer more options for expansion (saddle bags, luggage racks) and more potential long haul comforts. But that is about it. You can make it work, no matter what model you have. I would say rent as many as you can and rent for 3 days if possible to really put some miles an work around fatigue.
Then, get what you can afford and RIDE, RIDE, RIDE. You will then build up a riding skill set and if you are not on your dream bike, you will know what you think you want when the opportunity arises.:D Rember: this is all about fun!

Last edited:
I would say ride them all get a feel for what fits you and your riding styles, you will know when it is right I always say a bike speaks to me:s

In your decision try to figure out what type of riding you will be doing. There is nothing worse to sour riding as to buying the wrong bike. As others have suggested buying used is good advice for if it does not work out the loss of cash is alot less. Best of luck...

I started looking at bikes, ALL bikes, not just Harley's. Then I started paying attention to what caught my eye....seemed to always be one of 3, V-Rod (very distinctive), dyna low rider, and the deuce. It just turned out that those were the bikes I kept finding myself looking at. I was also looking at the Suzuki Boulevards, but out and about, the Harley's kept catching my eye. I sat on a bunch of bikes over several months to see what felt right. Honda's, Suzuki's, Kawasaki's and Harley's. Then my bike spoke to me. :s Don't be afraid to try them on. :)

I say get the bike you really want now even if it is a few years old chances are you will not be happy with a sporty.

Buy right and cry once! If you don't get the one you want in the beginning you will spend money on a substitute. Then you will spend your money again on what you wanted in the first place. I thought I wanted a Fatboy but once I rode the Fat Bob I was sold! Like the others said ride'em all first.

Welcome to the H-D world. Just take your time and choose the right bike then be patient with yourself learning to ride. I returned to riding last year with my first H-D at age 65 and haven't had so much fun in years learning to ride all over again...:)

I am a new rider as well, female, 55 years young. Bought a Softail Deluxe. It was love at first sight, no other bike could catch my eye.
We were on our way to a Target and got lost, but we found Central Texas Harley and out of the corner of my eye I saw "The" bike. I wasn't even looking for a bike, have not even taken riders edge class, (this weekend) and fell in love. I sat on this bike and it felt so right so perfect. I have put on about 350 miles never rode before. Midlife crisis? Maybe, but I love this bike.
Good for you on riding at 49, you will know the bike when you see it.
Safe riding and good luck to you.

Back