free website stats program New Rider at 49 - Advice? | Harley Davidson Forums

New Rider at 49 - Advice?

jreale

Just took a HD Rider's Edge course and feel even better than going into the class about moving forward with taking on riding, albeit late in life. I have heard conflicting comments around starter bikes. I want to keep up and add to the skills I just learned, so I want to get a bike sooner than later. I can't afford my dream bike, a Harley Softail Deluxe, so I am considering a 883 Super Low. At this point, I would hope that I can get a year out of the bike and then get a decent trade in value after a year. Or would it make more sense to get an older Softail now? I know there are a lot of factors and that I need to confirm any fit but just wanted to get some general direction.

Welcome Jreale! You're going to enjoy riding, and learn a lot on this forum.

My wife and I both started riding in our late 40s, and started off on metrics because we thought a Harley would be too heavy to start with. I've since decided that was a wrong assumption.

My only recommendation to get a bike that fits you and feels comfortable. You will ride more and build your confidence quicker if you feel comfortable with the bike.

Maybe rent each one for a day a see how you feel about them after you have a chance to ride both :D

I'd definitly look at a local demo ride to see what fits. The Deluxe and Sportster have completely different handling characteristics.

Sportsters have a long and strong following. But, they are not for everyone nor, are they the most forgiving to start out on.

In today's economy, I would imagine there is quite a few good quality examples of either model that have already been upgraded with add-ons and modifications. You just need the patience to look out for them and make a deal that works for you.

Good luck with your seach and let us know what you end up deciding to go with.

Cheers.

Welcome to the family.
TripleJ has given some good advice. Don't get into a big hurry to buy until you have had a chance to ride and see which model really fits you. You will end up saving in the long run. IMHO. good luck!!

Congrats on the new addiction. I know it's hard to be patient, but there are loads of great used bikes out there. Try a number of them and before you know it one of them will call your name. Good luck with the search, which in itself will be fun.
Ishmael

My wife and I both started riding in our late 40s, and started off on metrics because we thought a Harley would be too heavy to start with. I've since decided that was a wrong assumption.

My only recommendation to get a bike that fits you and feels comfortable. You will ride more and build your confidence quicker if you feel comfortable with the bike.

I agree with "TXMikey". Started on a Suzuki 800cc bike because I thought a HD would be too big and heavy for me to handle. Wrong. After getting a Ultra Classic, I found it handled better and was better ballanced than the smaller, lighter metric bike. get the bike you want. Find a place to take the MSF (Motorcycle Safety Foundation) course. they offer 2 different classes. The BRC 1 and BRC 2. the first is for beginning ridders or ridders that have been off bikes for several years. the other is for ridders that have been ridding for a while and just need a refersher course.

I just started riding two years ago at age 43, and I was told by many people not to start with a Harley because it would be too heavy and too expensive if I dumped it. I set out trying Hondas, Yamahas, etc. but none of them felt comfortable to me. I finally decided to try some Harleys at demo ride at the dealership and found that the Crossbones fit me perfectly and I was much more comfortable riding it than any of the other bikes I tried, so I bought it and haven't regretted it for a second. TXMikey is right when he says find one that feels comfortable, whether it be a Harley or something else.

These guys are correct, try as many as you can before deciding then ride as much as you can after getting the "ideal" bike.

Find the RIGHT model of HD that FITS you for ride and style.. and Then look at your $$ allowed NOW,,, and Shop for a usedlow mileage bike of that Model and Not worry about the year as much as $$$ for condition and mileage.... IF you find a nice used one for now HEY, You might just keep it for a long time..

Don't get FOOLED by some one saying a Sportster is a woman's bike.. Yes it is but Not in the sense it is a Weak bike.. They do ride Tough/Stiff and It is a great Flat tracker used for racing for many years.. Hence SPORT

That is where they first became popular, on the track...

I have owned a few 883/1200's(now a 06 sport 1200R) BUT Would AGREE with the many posts above..

Get the Bike That Fits You and You will be farther ahead..Learn on the one you will ride..:D

signed....BUBBIE

Back