free website stats program Navigation Units | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

Navigation Units

Well, I am trying to keep my 2011 RKC as H-D as I possibly can and can afford to do.

I had the dealer install the H-D bracket/mount and then I found a nicely discounted Road Tech 660 that was actually cheaper than the Garmin Unit.

I then went back to the dealer and had it wired into the bike and the installation completed.

Really expensive way to go, but it works really good and looks great!

Since I do not plan many modifications, this will be my most expensive project for some time.

Hope this helps?

D

I have the Garmin Quest 2 with NuMaps for life and I love it. My buddy wired it for me so that I get to hear the directions right through the cars audio system. I can override that if I want to and listen to music. My unit is an older unit that we bought on Amazon, and with the Ram mount ( excellent mount) the whole thing set me back a little over $300.00 at the time. What's nice is that with the NuMAps for Life I can easily transfer the unit to any vehicle that I drive and plug the unit into the cars power port and have the latest maps if I need them. I say that because my auto's GPS is Garmin Streetpilot which I did not update the maps on. That can get pretty expensive if you do all of your units!!
What I love about the GPS is that you may find yourself on some road out in the boonies somewhere and you are low on gas! Not good! The GPS will show you, and direct you, via audible directions right to the gas station! Like others have mentioned you also get hotel locations nearby with their phone #'s right there on the unit so you can call on your cell phone and make reservations if you choose to.
All in all I'd reccomend having the unit hard wired to your bikes battery because it also charges the battery of the GPS.
BTW, I also carry those glossy covered road maps of my surrounding states. I don't want to be entirely GPS dependent! :s

Hi Guys
There has been lots written here about Nav units versus old school maps etc. For those who have gone with the Nav units.. did you do a pro/dealer install.. or just bracket on bars and into cigarette plug ?

I am both old school and new...GPS units are so price worthy, $100 on up, easy to mount and install. Quite honestly almost as useful as a cellphone as far as convenience and finding your way. :s

Küryakyn sells an inexpensive handlebar mount, chrome and metal for $50, H-D accessory covered accessory plug $20. You can wire it to the headlight nacelle or for $9 get the 4 connector tri adapter splice free underseat access. :coffee

I like to have strategy and backup plan...GPS works, especially if you decide to take "roads less traveled"...:D

HD's Zumo 660 has some nice features and some that I will probably not use. The dealer installed it with the interface so that it will override the radio/CD when giving directions. Press one button and take it with you or move it to your car (car mount was included)

I have the same system, installed it myself.

some good deals on ebay. got a used garmin 200w for 30$. works great for what i need it for

Garmin 750 here, plug it in through the AUX jack & use it as an MP3 player too; I have hours of music at my fingertips. If I need to use it for directions when listening to the MP3's, it will give voice directions over the speakers as well. My only complaint is that the SD cards are harder to keep track of than CD's, but they take up much less space. I will get some pictures of my mount & post them, it's a very clean mount when everything is removed too.

Wow, I forgot all about the pictures of the mount, better late than never huh? I bought it on e-bay, there are a few variations of this mount on there.

Attachments

• GPS mount sm.JPG
    GPS mount sm.JPG
    73.9 KB · Views: 51
  • GPS mount sm 1.JPG
    GPS mount sm 1.JPG
    80.1 KB · Views: 46
That's a nice looking mount. Why do you have such long screws with spacers on the clutch side clamp?

Last edited:
Back