free website stats program Navigation Units | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Navigation Units

I use a cheaper model Garmin Nuvi on the bars, and plugged into the lighter socket. I don't use it too much for navigation, but it's nice to have. My buddy and I were getting low on gas in a unfamiliar and remote area. I tapped "gas station" and it led us to a station close by in a direction we never would have gone.

i use one just to find my way home. don't care how i get there or where there is just want to get back to point A

I already had a Garmin Zumo 550 and mount from my last bike so I had it put on the Ultra. Power is wired to the bike via existing wiring up in the fairing (had the shop do it but it is supposedly all there for use). I love it. It doesnt replace maps which I use for trip PLANNING but it is much better for on the road use when it is approaching dark, you have been wandering around and want to find a restaurant or hotel or gas station or just a view of "what is that road like or where does it go"....

I have a Tom Tom 1XL, 4.3 inch screen. Put three velco strips vertically on the back of it. One center and one on each side. Put three matching strips on the center pouch of my windshield pouches. I run the power cord behind the pouches to the outlet on the fairing of my ultra. Works great.

I use the Garmin 750. I have it suctioned to the tach face and added a little lanyard from the unit to the windshield pouch bag so i don't lose it if it comes off while riding ( it never has). Plugged into cig lighter outlet.
I bought a RAM handle bar mount for it but, didn't use it. It annoyed me to have the mount there when I wasn't using the GPS.
Now, if I get somewhere and want to remove the GPS, I just take it off the tack face, store it in the trunk..No mounts to be there all the time.
I don't use the GPS all the time but it's usually with me , stored or mounted. I just like having it for a 'low fuel' type thing, finding a motel if need be, food etc and, the 'home' feature when I'm hopelessly lost.

I have a Nuvi 760 that I've used in both the cage and on the bike. I bought a new car last year that has nav built in so it's used solely on the bike. I never use the unit on the bike to get there, but have used it many times to find food, gas, banks, and the fastest way home. Last summer my wife and I ended up out in the middle of nowhere, in an area that I was not familiar, in the middle of the night. No street lights, no houses, nada. It definitely came in handy that night!
I also use it to display my speed as it's mounted right up on the handlebars next to the tach. I don't have to tilt my head down to see the speedo that way.

I use the RAM mount system and have a power wire run from the battery up to the bars.
IMG_0042.jpg

Deucedog wrote:
"I also use it to display my speed as it's mounted right up on the handlebars next to the tach. I don't have to tilt my head down to see the speedo that way."

In addition to the speed it also displays time.

M Khan

Here my 2 cents: I ride a bike to get away from all of life's nuisances.. So I would not have a GPS for 2 reasons, I do not want to know where I am going nor do I want someone telling me what to do.... With a full tank of gas and a map you can never get lost in my opinion.. If you really need a GPS system get one on a cell phone so when needed you have to stop and get phone out to find the info you need and not have the distraction while riding.

As a PGR RC I need a GPS .We have missions in places I've never even heard of. But I agree with you about everyday riding . IF I have to be somewhere at a specific time , I strap the GPS on and go . The rest of the time , it's in the tour pack.

As a PGR RC I need a GPS .We have missions in places I've never even heard of. But I agree with you about everyday riding . IF I have to be somewhere at a specific time , I strap the GPS on and go . The rest of the time , it's in the tour pack.

Right On!!

Back