free website stats program Navigation Units | Harley Davidson Forums

Navigation Units

israguard

Hi Guys
There has been lots written here about Nav units versus old school maps etc. For those who have gone with the Nav units.. did you do a pro/dealer install.. or just bracket on bars and into cigarette plug ?

I have a Garmin 750 with a handle bar mount. You can use Bing maps or Mapsource to upload routes to the GPS. As far as weather proof, I just keep a zip lock baggy handy to slip over it in the event of rain.

Thanks R-J,
And its plug into cigarette lighter/accessory plug no problem ?
I looked at the models designed specifically for bikes.. yikes.. they dont come cheap

I use a Garmin 2720 mounted on a Ram ball mount on the handlebars. The unit is plugged into the cig lighter on the Ultra...has been for over 2 years... with no problems at all.

I have read of people pulling a condom over their GPS to waterproof it. Can not get much cheaper then that.
Ken

I have used an inexpensive Garmin Nuvi for years and it works great.

It plugs into the lighter socket but buy yourself a good handle bar mount.

A few years back, I had mine suctioned onto the tach face (dont really need a tach on the harly anyway) and it managed to escape while I was doing about 40 mph over a rough road. Found it lying in the ditch and other than a few scuffs and scrapes, it still works good as new to this day.

As already suggested, keep a zip lock baggie handy for rain but they are pretty tough little units.

You could buy 6 of the inexpensive units for the price of one of those fancy "motorcycle" units.

Here my 2 cents: I ride a bike to get away from all of life's nuisances.. So I would not have a GPS for 2 reasons, I do not want to know where I am going nor do I want someone telling me what to do.... With a full tank of gas and a map you can never get lost in my opinion.. If you really need a GPS system get one on a cell phone so when needed you have to stop and get phone out to find the info you need and not have the distraction while riding.

Got a Tom Tom mounted on a RAM mount with an aqua box for rain. It's great to know if that road you are on will come to an end in 20 miles. I've programed it with gas stations, Dunkins and Timmies locations so I'm never far from fuel.:D

I use a cheaper model Garmin Nuvi on the bars, and plugged into the lighter socket. I don't use it too much for navigation, but it's nice to have. My buddy and I were getting low on gas in a unfamiliar and remote area. I tapped "gas station" and it led us to a station close by in a direction we never would have gone.

Back